Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/11/2017 7:50:09 PM EDT
Specifically I am looking at the S&W M&P Sport II or the Ruger AR556. I am leaning toward the Smith&Wesson at the moment.

Is this unwise?

I have read and watched a bunch of reviews and have seen overwhelming positive feed back on both. Locally they both go for $630 to $660.

If I bought one of these and used it long enough to generate some preferences and wanted to build, is there any reason I could not build on their lower?

Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Specifically I am looking at the S&W M&P Sport II or the Ruger AR556. I am leaning toward the Smith&Wesson at the moment.

Is this unwise?

I have read and watched a bunch of reviews and have seen overwhelming positive feed back on both. Locally they both go for $630 to $660.

If I bought one of these and used it long enough to generate some preferences and wanted to build, is there any reason I could not build on their lower?

Thanks for any input.
View Quote

There are plenty of people who have done exactly what you are thinking.  If you have never owned an AR before, it makes a certain amount of sense to learn the system and learn what you like, then expand from there...because, there will be other AR's in your future...they multiply.  Those lowers should work with other uppers as long as they are in spec.  Though I will warn you that any incomplete upper or lower will never stay incomplete for long.  There is a reason they call it Black Rifle Disease.  
My first rifle was a RRA upper on a lower I built.  I have built every other rifle from parts since then.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the Ruger and shoots great. I changed out the trigger and put a different stock on it
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Is this unwise?

Thanks for any input.
View Quote

the SW sport 2 can be had for 4-5 bills if you wait for it to go on sale
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like the consensus is that it is not a bad idea. I was in the Army during the 80s. Started with an M16A1 and ended with an A2. Have not fired an "AR type" rifle since but I am certain I can still manage.

My purpose is mostly that I no longer consider an actual SHTF scenario to be all that unlikely. Hope I am wrong.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like the consensus is that it is not a bad idea. I was in the Army during the 80s. Started with an M16A1 and ended with an A2. Have not fired an "AR type" rifle since but I am certain I can still manage.

My purpose is mostly that I no longer consider an actual SHTF scenario to be all that unlikely. Hope I am wrong.
View Quote
And don't forget most of the crims have transportation.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And don't forget most of the crims have transportation.
View Quote

I don't know what this means.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't know what this means.
View Quote

The bad guys have cars too.  So, just because you do not live in a "bad part of town" you still need to be prepared.  Sometimes the bad neighborhood comes to you.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:44:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The bad guys have cars too.  So, just because you do not live in a "bad part of town" you still need to be prepared.  Sometimes the bad neighborhood comes to you.
View Quote

I got it.

I live in a fairly poor area although it is smalltown/rural. I had considered the fact that it would not be merely locals that caused problems. I have started networking with a couple of people to pool resources and firearms are only one part of my preparations.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy Palmetto State Armory Complete Lower of your choice, plus the kit of your choice.

Upper will be headspaced & test fired.

You'll have the Complete Lower to refer to for your next AR15 & the parts for a stripped lower.

Should be around $600.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:24:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm gonna toss my $.02 in here for a moment.

First, the best weapon is the one you have. The times being what they are, not everyone can just put out $2,000+ for the "most tactical" ar15 on the market.

Second, higher price does not always equate to higher quality (looking at you Eotech, [j/k]). On the flip side, not everything on the low end is actually "good enough." If you want a plinker, find people who have reviewed what you're looking at, as a plinker. If you want a HD gun, look at those who have tested it as such.

Find components that are built well, but within whatever budget you can give yourself. If you can afford to spend a little more for a mid/higher grade part, why not? You're not going to break it just because you're new or rusty.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:24:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy a completed upper, LPK, and a stripped lower. Uppers require a bit in the way of specialized tooling to assemble; lowers can be done with a mallet and some punches if you really want to. You get a better understanding of your weapon if you build it yourself, and it can be more 'yours' in the sense that it is exactly what you want- you are not constrained by the limited combinations available in factory rifles. Being prior-service, I bet that you have a good understanding of the system, but I still recommend building your lower. It's fun, too!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:11:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Either of the rifles you listed would be a good choice. Personal preferences may push you to build something, or buy something else, but either would be a good place to start.

You should be able to find either for $550 or less right now. I've personally seen both in the $450 range in the past few years. If you're looking at $650, I'd look at buying something from an online retailer and having it sent to your FFL.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:15:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Bought my first AR and I teeter-totted over the S&W and the Rugar as well.
I went with S&W and am for me I'm glad I did.
Quality product. Great warranty. Well known brand.

You can get them for < 600 if you shop around.
Check out http://www.bullseyeindoorrange.com/  
Give 'em a call...

Don't get in over your head with a $1000+ rifle or buy this part and that part and some other part
and try to build it yourself. The S&W Sport II is ready to go out of the box. It has everything you
need and nothing you don't. I'd trust my life with this rifle.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:47:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Sport II is a great entry point rifle to start the AR journey. Great price, quality and warranty to back it for as long as you own it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a S&W Sport II and it has been a very good AR-15 and it comes with an excellent warranty. For your first one I think this is an excellent choice.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:48:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I considered that path as well, but decided to go the build it route. Bought an assembled Aero upper receiver, and the other components (gas block and tube, a nice 18" stainless barrel, handguard, etc.) to complete the upper. Will be buying an Aero stripped lower receiver, and have purchased the Palmetto lower build kit with the Magpul ACS-L stock. I took my time to buy all of the parts so bought most on sale and will spend under $600 for the complete rifle. Doing it this way will give me a slightly custom rifle and I will learn the inner workings first hand.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:11:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow, great minds all think alike :)

I was also deciding between building, S&W M&P Sport 2, and AR556. After thinking it over, decided that a smart thing for a total AR noob to do would be to completely eliminate the issues of my own making by going with a pre-build rifle.

At first, wanted to get the Ruger, primarily because of all the hype about the twist rate. But have seen a bit too many negative reviews with regard to quality issues affecting accuracy. While I am 99% sure this was blown way out of proportion, I didn't want to take my chances.

Finally found an S&W for $499 + free shipping - couldn't resist that. Bought it last Monday, received on Thursday, took to the range on Saturday. 100 rounds of Federal FMJ later, I am a very happy customer. Not a single hick up, a pleasure to shoot, accuracy far exceeding my own. It does have a cosmetic blemish on the upper receiver, starting above the trigger catch and towards the barrel the finish looks a bit rough, so I may yet see how good the S&W customer service is. But overall, I feel this was a great choice, especially considering the price.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:22:24 PM EDT
[#18]
PSA Lower w/ MagPul furniture $150 shipped requires a trsf to your FFL

+

PSA Midlength upper with MagPul furniture & Sights $250

+

PSA BCG $90 shipped

<$500 for a Midlength with MagPul goodies
Just needs a charging handle (~$20)
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:18:04 AM EDT
[#19]
I can't remember where it was from (maybe Aim or CDNN) but I received an e-mail flyer with AR's  from Anderson and Radical Rirearms for I believe $499.00. I have several Anderson rifles and one has about 3 to 4K rounds through it with no problems other than a too heavy trigger pull. I would put a better trigger in it but it's my blaster and I can live with it.

Steve.........
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#20]
I have four buddys that have all bought M&P Sport II's. All have been more than happy with the purchases.

I might be picking here, but I don't like Rugers top pinned front sight base.

I have used Smith and Wesson's customer service twice. They send a tag do the repairs and send it back. It was a pretty quick turnaround as well. Excellent customer service!

Brad
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#21]
+1 for the Smith and Wesson M&P Sport II

The quality is off the charts, there's nothing 'cheap' about it

Also the trigger was way better than I expected.

It's not a chrome bore but the nitride (er 'Armonite') makes it hard, corrosion resistant, slicker and easier to clean than a standard blued barrel

(Tho not quite as easy to clean as chrome, but still plenty slick)

I also like how there's no m4 cutout lol more solid barrel

Link Posted: 3/6/2017 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#22]
/thread

OP bought a Colt Expanse as his first AR.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Either approach will work, but considering you do have some familiarization with the platform already, I wouldn't hesitate to at least partially build your first AR--there's no better way to learn the platform than to assemble them. The easy way to start getting into building is to start by building a lower. There are tons of helpful how-to videos on youtube and lowers/LPKs are crazy cheap right now. Once that is done, uppers can be bought online. There's some really nice ones these days and a wide enough selection that you can easily get pretty much any configuration you want.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Another +1 for the Sport II.  

I love mine! Shoots great. And from a great company + warranty for a great price.

http://i64.tinypic.com/33c1z86.jpg
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#25]
I built an inexpensive PSA kit and no regrets.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I would buy a budget AR first. Either a Colt 6920 or a Springfield Saint.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#27]
FWIW, you can build a slightly better spec'd rifle cheaper than the S&W Sport

Just for example, a PSA Freedom kit is going to have an M16 BCG vs the AR15 BCG on the S&W. The freedom kits will also have 1:7 twist barrels which will open the door for a wider range of ammo. Mine all shoot 55-77 grain ammo very well. S&W barrels are 1:9. A Freedom kit with Magpul furniture is going to better than the crappy M4 style stock/A2 grip/ skinny handguards with no heat shield on the S&W. Every PSA bolt I have ever bought was HPT/MPI marked, even the ones in freedom kits, S&W doesn't list this as a feature, which I assume means they are not HPT/MPI tested bolts. PSA lists their freedom barrels as 4150V Chrome moly and S&W's barrels are 4140.

I am not saying the S&W is crap, I like S&W products and own many, but I also like PSA's stuff and think it specs out a tad better for the same, if not less money.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:51:06 PM EDT
[#28]
cdnn has the ruger on sale for $499 if that interests you. Ruger

Bruce
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top