Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/9/2017 5:45:15 PM EDT
Can someone tell me the difference between keymod and mlok. With me being in the military I'm used to picatinny rails with rail covers. Don't know if i should change the way my AR looks
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#1]
They both are accessory  attachment systems. They each use different methods of attaching to things to the hand guard. MLok is Magpuls system. It attaches stuff (pieces of 1913 rail, swivel mounts, light mounts etc) to the so equipped hand guard using a screw system which self aligns as you screw it on. The Keymod system does the same thing except it has oblong attachment holes which are bigger at one end allowing the attachment screw and back up nut to be slid into place and then tightened. Keymod is a BCM sponsored system. Both are considered open source, so any manufacturer can make hand guards and accessories to their specs.

MLok seems to be the favorite son these days, but there are plenty of  Keymod users and suppliers out there. Both are a move up from the quad rail system and you won't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:09:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had both. Mlok is best. Keymod needs to be re-tightened more. And if you grab just the tube, Mlok feels much better .
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Mlok has a straight opening that the attachment rails can be put into one open slot, or split between two slots to help make an attachment more secure, since the solid part in the middle can also help prevent an item from shifting forwards or backwards.  The Keymod has a larger hole in the back, with a smaller slot in the front, think like a shelf attachment system at a hardware store.  But the difference being it's not just attached my gravity, but actually tightened down into the slot.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Can someone tell me the difference between keymod and mlok. With me being in the military I'm used to picatinny rails with rail covers. Don't know if i should change the way my AR looks
View Quote

If you are happy with your rifle now leave it be. The big thing with mlok and keymod is the free float tubes can be slimmer and lighter. Since most of the rail areas would never end up actually being used you can just not have them on the gun.

A lot of stuff still ends up on a rail adapter. Since many rails are available in both you can always look at what accessories you plan on running and see which ones are available in either to direct mount to the new system.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:09:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I think they are both good attachments systems, as I use both. I prefer m-lok and Magpul accessories. If I could only pick one, I'd go with m-lok.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:28:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys. Alot of complaints I've been hearing are that quad rails are too heavy and cut your hands easily. Although I would get rail covers. I'm getting a BCM 16 midlength upper without any handguards. I'll just stick with a magpul handguard if that's the case. Keymod doesn't look appealing imo
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I went M-Lok because I have M-Lok accessories and I liked the way it looked more.  Keymod is fine and works just fine but I could not get over the little penis shape once it was pointed out to me kind of like the dueling penis on Spikes lowers.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#8]
ohhhhhhhhhhhh godddddddddddddddddddd
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Keymod reminds me of Home Depot merchandise shelving too much. M-LOK for me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I have both but prefer MLok.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:49:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I have both and have never had any issues with either platform. I think MLOK will be around longer fwiw. Either way, buy from a quality manufacturer and you'll be good to go.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't think either one necessarily functions better than the other, but I think Keymod looks awful and I'm a Magpul whore so I went with M Lok
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:15:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm ready for one to win and to stop having 2 competitors....
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keymod reminds me of Home Depot merchandise shelving too much. M-LOK for me.
View Quote

keymod triggers you.

it's about preference
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:59:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I wrestled with this when I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do for a upgraded hand guard.

Landed on MLOK. Don't regret it. I'm also a magpul fanboy, and the only thing that disappointed me so far is I liked the rail AFG better than the MLOK AFG. But that was short lived as I decided I like the VFG better anyhow...

One of these days I'll figure out how to post up the MLOK AFG for sale... lol
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:15:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Both work just fine.  I prefer keymod
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#17]
anyone have the SLR Rifleworks handguards? looking at them for my upcoming build want to hear opinions on fit/finish weight and quality
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
anyone have the SLR Rifleworks handguards? looking at them for my upcoming build want to hear opinions on fit/finish weight and quality
View Quote
Two of my rifles wear SLR M-lok handguards. A 15" Helix on my 3 Gun rifle and a 16.5" Solo Lite on my SPR-ish build. Other rifles I have are a mix of other M-lok and Keymod handguards from other manufacturers and the SLR ones are far superior in weight and quality. If I could afford to swap them all to SLR I would.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#19]
i have both on my rifles

im in love with the BCM KMR A

i dont hang a bunch off my rifles, just a flashlight and sling attachment and thats really it. With no loktite the keymod tends to fly off pretty fast, mlok i use with no loktite and never had troubles.

Since i dont have a bunch on the guns i usually prefer whichever is lighter, which is for me, the keymod.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:00:07 AM EDT
[#20]
I've used both and they both work, but I generally prefer mlok. IMO it looks better, feels better on the hand without covers, and I've never had a compatibility issue with them and I have with keymod. Keymod's advantage, on paper, is that you can maintain zero when removing / reinstalling sights/optics. The problem with this is that no one uses keymod to attach optics, mainly because the design of the most popular rifles precludes their mounting anywhere near your eye. People still use pic rails for that, so the "advantage" isn't one. I have noticed that a lot of similar rails that come in both formats are slightly lighter in keymod form, so that's a consideration if you need a metal rail but want it as light as possible.

Of course the biggest problem with either of these systems is the lack of accessory mounts that attach directly. It's retarded to attach a pic rail to keymod and then a mount y the pic rail. Inefficient and it undermines the whole point of the system. Aftermarket support for direct mount stuff is getting better all the time but there's still a long ways to go.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Keymod parts only need re-tightening on parts from manufacturers who don't understand how they're supposed to work.  If there's no stop on the part at the big end of the slot, that part doesn't implement the keymod system correctly.  The beveled nut at one end is supposed to push the stop against the big end's edge so that the part can't move.  Surprisingly, I've seen parts from prominent manufacturers made incorrectly and those come loose.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:05:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Two of my rifles wear SLR M-lok handguards. A 15" Helix on my 3 Gun rifle and a 16.5" Solo Lite on my SPR-ish build. Other rifles I have are a mix of other M-lok and Keymod handguards from other manufacturers and the SLR ones are far superior in weight and quality. If I could afford to swap them all to SLR I would.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have three gen 2 keymod SLR handguards.  Great company, high quality, innovative, attentive...A+ in my book
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 3:31:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Which is lighter between the two? Mlok or keymod
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#24]
depends on the handguard but as a general rule it seems like keymod rails are slightly lighter. Check the PWD for specific rails.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I have only ever had MLOK which I selected based on the common phrase that I keep running into since becoming a gun owner.

Select the one you "cant live without" or the one you think "looks the best."

In the end an AR15 is like a wife.  
::DISCLAIMER::
I am not responsible for any wepon modifications you make after reading this post.  Nor, am I responsible for any marriage seperations after reading this post.

If you can open your case every day and say that's a mighty fine rifle, it's a keeper.  If at any point you second guess your pick, it wasn't the one for you.
If you can wake up, roll over, and look at your wife (while she is still sleeping) and say that's a mighty fine women, she's a keeper.  If at any point you second guess your pick, she wasn't the one for you.

That being said, cant live without.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 2:16:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Mlok is best no doubt. Keymod is going the way of the dinosaur. Quad rail is the worst and ugliest shit.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:02:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Another vote for mlok.

Picatinny is outdated. There is absolutely zero point in having all that extra rail space and weight when you only use a flashlight, and maybe a foregrip/handstop. That "my attachments are more secure with picatinny" bullshit is just that. Bullshit. The attachment can still come off.

Loose the weight, and bulkness of adding covers to the quad. If you've never handled a slimmer rail, I can almost guarantee you will be happy and not look back.

The only con I can think of for mlok/keymod is an attachment flying off. I don't think I've seen a thread about that happening with mlok. I've seen plastic mounting pieces break, but that's not from the mlok.

Hell, it won the socom crane testing between the two.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:. That "my attachments are more secure with picatinny" bullshit is just that. Bullshit.
View Quote
Generally yes, but if you're attaching something with a rail section between it and the mlok rail, you have added potential points of failure. I'm not convinced it's as strong either, which in some cases, limited though they may be, could be a factor. I'm not attaching my rail mount m203 to a mlok (or keymod) rail via pic rail sections. A native pic rail is the only way to go. That said, for the vast majority, that kind of strength isn't needed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:26:54 AM EDT
[#31]
If you're already used to the quad rail and you don't mind the weight I say you're trying to fix a problem you don't have.

The MLOK and KeyMod are both lighter and smoother but they're not going to make your gun run any better. I will say that I have seen KeyMod shatter when it got loaded into a barricade hard- something that I doubt would happen on a Pic rail.

If you're going for a balance of looks, weight, and performance I'd go MLOK.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Keymod mounts accessories much much better than mlok. Even though I have both, and the keymod is more solid, I like mlok more because of looks.  Looks are everything.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Keymod mounts accessories much much better than mlok. Even though I have both, and the keymod is more solid, I like mlok more because of looks. Looks are everything.
View Quote
Not sure if serious
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:07:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Keymod mounts accessories much much better than mlok. Even though I have both, and the keymod is more solid, I like mlok more because of looks.  Looks are everything.
View Quote
From what I can tell, actual testing suggests mlok is more solid. The only benefit I can see from keymod is the theoretical return-to-zero advantage. Buuuut, since the only people that would ever really use that are people with laser designators or other sights that are natively attached with mlok or keymod (tiny niche for sure, are there ANY?), it's hard to even call it an advantage. Grips, lights, bipods, etc. don't have/need a 'zero'.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I have all three systems, and greatly prefer the 1913 Pic rail.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Not sure if serious
View Quote
100% serious.  Come at me bro.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

this spring I bought afirst M-lok rail I did not have fun with it. I did not do enough research the lack of celarly marked products was frustrating.

1. magpul m lok & moeMlok are not interchangeable moe mlolk is for the hand guards only

the Mlok covers are interesting many are very expensive $50  a piece I went with the ERGO $19 for 3 covers

if you go ergo make sure you get the diamond pattern Mlok covers, not the nicer looking lined pattern, that is for key mod.

unless you just love the look I'd pass I should have stayed quad rail.

my mlok gun
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I've run enKeyMod for a few years before MLOK was available.

If I had not tried the KeyMod, I would go with the MLOK.

However, it's not worth it to me to switch over to MLOK
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:this spring I bought afirst M-lok rail I did not have fun with it. I did not do enough research the lack of celarly marked products was frustrating.

1. magpul m lok & moeMlok are not interchangeable moe mlolk is for the hand guards only
View Quote
MOE (Magpul Original Equipment) originally used one kind of mounting slot (generally just called "MOE" by most people), and their newer stuff is MLOK (though the letters MOE may appear on the packaging also, they always seem to say "mlok" or have the mlok logo on them if that's what they compatible with). Good example:

Pretty obvious that this grip is compatible with Mlok, no? I mean, I know the "MOE" is on there, but it says Mlok in three different places on the front of the box...and prolly a few more times on the other sides.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#40]
LOL...
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Mlok all the way.

I've had 5+ keymod rails and only 1 Mlok.  If I could magically turn my KM rails into Mlok, I would in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#42]
picatinny, works great. no need to change
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:20:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Crane did a study on this:
http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2017/armament/McGee19427.pdf

TLDR: M-lok ftw
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:05:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I like this line from the study...

The MIL-STD-1913 Accessory Mounting Rail was standardized in 1995.
reads like a bad joke, even if true.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#45]
A question that I have been asking for a while now. The answer seems to be that with a metal handguard, either one works.
M-lok came out because Magpul stated the way a keymod attaches on a polymer handguard can cause cracking.
So with metal handguards choose whatever you want, with polymer ones M-lok may be a better choice.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 2:58:07 PM EDT
[#47]
i use the samson evolution rail. Not really either of these lol.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#50]
I prefer keymod. After having a lot of issues with my mlok rails on a couple of rifles, I went over to keymod. My experience was the complete opposite of the Crane study. Accessories "returned to zero" far better on keymod rails than mlok. It was my experience that mlok is just way to sloppy from slot to slot... and from manufactuerer to manufactuerer for me to ever go back. Keymod for me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top