Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2017 8:41:03 PM EDT
I mean I expect a shift in the POI but should the group sizes be affected? I'm thinking about buying a legitimate drop in quad rail, not the ones that clamp over the retaining ring in front. I don't really intend to hang a bunch of stuff off of it, just kind of enjoy the looks a little more than the standard handguards.

Actually, while we're at it, is there a large difference between the two in performance?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 8:49:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes accuracy will be less than free floated unless you hold it the same every time.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of accuracy do you seek? I run drop in quads on 3 of mine, shoot 3-4 moa.
But they are not precision rigs by design.

A freefloated rail will give better precision.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Daniel defense omega drops in and is free floated.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Daniel defense omega drops in and is free floated.
View Quote

Does it drop in to a Non-free floated rail?

Also, yeah I'm only really looking for 3 moa at this point. I haven't tried any nicer match grade ammo and i'm hitting around 4 moa with cheap American Eagle ammo.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:47:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Does it drop in to a Non-free floated rail?

Also, yeah I'm only really looking for 3 moa at this point. I haven't tried any nicer match grade ammo and i'm hitting around 4 moa with cheap American Eagle ammo.
View Quote

it IS a free floated rail
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Haha I can't even picture how that's possible without removing the front sight or retaining ring. Not doubting, just curious.

Edit: Ahh just re-read your answer. I was meaning to say does it drop into a rifle that isn't set up for free floating? I thought the only way to free-float an AR was to cut the delta ring off and replace the gas block with a low profile one.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Haha I can't even picture how that's possible without removing the front sight or retaining ring. Not doubting, just curious.

Edit: Ahh just re-read your answer. I was meaning to say does it drop into a rifle that isn't set up for free floating? I thought the only way to free-float an AR was to cut the delta ring off and replace the gas block with a low profile one.
View Quote

It drops in without modifying you gun, and it's free floated.

The Daniel Defense Omega Rail® system is the most exciting rail system to hit the market in years! The Omega Rail is a free float rail system that allows the individual operator to easily install it with the provided Allen Wrench and requires ZERO modification to the weapon! The Omega Rail features an integral QD sling swivel mount, with rotation limiter, and an uninterrupted upper rail platform. This light weight rail system is meticulously CNC machined from Aircraft Grade Aluminum and is Military Specification Type III Hard Coat Anodized. All the Omega Rail fasteners are military specification.

Here
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#8]
DD pdf

Check out this pdf file on install instructions.
It'll answer alot for you .
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Makes sense... Actually pretty smart. Thanks!!The original question stands though, what about those cheaper non free floated rails? Are they going to mess with the group sizes do you think?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:32:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I run a KAC RAS, a DS 416(Doublestar) and a Surefire with zero issues. All those M4s overseas shoot just fine.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't see why a drop in quad rail would be worse than drop in plastic handguards, if that's what you mean.

Putting pressure on it with a sling or bipod while shooting is what causes the issues.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#12]
OP, you are overthinking this.
I do the same alot.
Drop in will be fine, no different than standard handguards, as pointed out in above post.

Eta : I tried el cheapo drop ins when getting started. Save your $$ and buy a decent one. Otherwise you'll be kicking yourself.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:06:10 PM EDT
[#13]
It is true that a non-freefloat drop is no worse than plastic bandguards in a general sense.

But, if you use it as intended, such as putting a bipod on the bottom rail or pulling it with a tight sling, you can move your point of impact a significant distance.

Why not bite the bullet and free float a 7" drop in carbine rail?  You get the rail space AND don't have to worry about POI shift.

The Daniel Defense Omega is the classic solution.  No modifications to the rifle.  Comes in two halves, like the plastic handgusrds, but bolts together, then bolts to your barrel nut and does not contact the front hand guard cap.  True free float.  Installation takes about 10-15 minutes, tops.

Here is mine on a simple carbine.  Installed this recently.  Should have done this a long time ago.  Note, I've upgraded that tactical light and moved the new one to the other side with an ambidextrous tape switch on the top rail since this photo was taken.  One of the benefits of a rail.

Edit:  Current configuration below.  The Streamlight light will be moved forward two inches when the Thorntail scout mount arrives, clearing more rail space.  Very versatile. The Omega weighs less than one ounce more than your hand guards, something cheap rails can't claim.

Link Posted: 1/20/2017 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I mean I expect a shift in the POI but should the group sizes be affected? I'm thinking about buying a legitimate drop in quad rail, not the ones that clamp over the retaining ring in front. I don't really intend to hang a bunch of stuff off of it, just kind of enjoy the looks a little more than the standard handguards.

Actually, while we're at it, is there a large difference between the two in performance?
View Quote

I think the answer is no.  I've only used one "drop-in" quad rail, but it did clamp over the handguard mount in the front.  Accuracy was unaffected.  I'll assume your rifle isn't free-floated now, so I wouldn't expect a difference.  Free-floating is a second-order improvement in accuracy, so if you're shooting offhand mostly, I don't think you'll notice a difference.

Incidentally, I put a really cheap drop-in rail on an early-90's A1 carbine purely for cosmetics (UTG or something that I got on Amazon for $25) that bolts on with 4 hex bolts.  Much to my amazement, it is incredibly solid.  I was surprised and pleased at how well it works.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:12:53 PM EDT
[#15]
deleted
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#16]
A free floating handguard will not make a barrel shoot better. It will make things more consistent by eliminating pressure on the barrel from the handguard. Accuracy comes from a good barrel.

Warning anecdotal evidence ahead

I have an early model Daniel Defense M4 mid length that came stock with round plastic M4 type handguards. Rifle was a solid 1.5 MOA shooter with the 3x ACOG and stock trigger. Shooting it off bags there was some definite stringing occurring once the barrel heated it up. I ended up cutting down the FSB, installing an ALG free float rail, and a Geissele SSA trigger on this rifle. With a 4x PST I was able to get more consistent groupings but it still at best was a 1.5 MOA rifle. One thing the FF rail did help was with a bipod. Loading the bipod puts a decent amount of pressure on the handguard. I intend to put a good stainless steel barrel on this rifle eventually and maybe then it will shoot better.

I also have a Colt 6933 with a KAC RAS, Aimpoint M4, and stock trigger that I shoot the hell out of. Couldn't tell you what sort of accuracy I get out of it as it's my patrol rifle and never shot from a bench or sand bags. It's definitely minute of man out to 300m if I do my part.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:29:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Usually no change. Sometimes a little worse or better. No hard and fast rule. Anyone who says a free floated barrel is automatically more accurate is not knowledgeable and I would not listen to a regurgitator like that on any firearm topic. Some barrels are more acurate with pressure on the barrel than free floated. That's a fact. While free floating usually allows for more consistent placement, accuracy is not necessarily improved.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
DD pdf

Check out this pdf file on install instructions.
It'll answer alot for you .
View Quote
Still can't wrap my head around how it could free float ?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Still can't wrap my head around how it could free float ?
View Quote
The only place it touches the rifle is at the barrel nut.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top