Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/20/2016 2:17:44 PM EDT
Has anyone here shot or handled the Saint ar yet?
If so what are your thioughts?
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#1]
My distributor has been promising me 10 for 3 weeks.

Haven't seen any yet. Sucks cause I got 2 Marine buddies ready to drive three hours to get them from me
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My distributor has been promising me 10 for 3 weeks.

Haven't seen any yet. Sucks cause I got 2 Marine buddies ready to drive three hours to get them from me
View Quote

Same here. Any week now they say. I really wish we could get some and people would stop calling about them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#3]
We've had two. Seem decent for the money. That said I've seen a video of one that had a loose barrel nut and some other people were complaining about other rifles...

Two that went through the shop I'm at looked fine.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#4]
The day after the election I felt so good I went to my local gun shop and bought one.
No I did not need another AR but the price was just right and I bought one for 800.
Shot the crap out of it next day , 400 rounds and zero problems.
When I got home I put a M7 Colt bayonet on it as it fit perfect.
It's my new battle rifle.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Would you say it's better than the M&P sport 2?
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do not know, sorry.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 1:41:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I would say its better than the sport for sure. I haven't put too many rounds through the saint but I can already tell you that the trigger is the best factory trigger for a rifle anywhere near that price. The furniture is also a huge plus to me, the B5 stuff is great. I like the new forearm better than anything else offered for a "basic" AR, even better than the MOE stuff. The mid length gas system and H buffer are a great upgrade too.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 2:54:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

For almost any application, yes.

I don't care for the gov't profile barrel, it's a good package for a factory rifle though.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I handled one at the local shop.  Fit and finish is good.  Nice, solid stock.  Hand guard is comfortable.  Good trigger.  Feature-wise it's definitely a step up from the standard M4 style furniture.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:37:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I handled one at a local shop this past weekend.
I was prepared to buy it, but figured the money would be better spent on some other firearms.
If I didn't already have an abundance of ARs, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 5:07:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Had the chance to look at one this morning. Really a nice rifle, definitely a step or two up from the M&P Sport  II. I was tempted but decided to wait for more reviews and hopefully a sale.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I want to handle one in person, but none of my local gun shops have any, nor show any interest in getting any. Seems hard to get one online as well. I like Springfield Armory, and the Saint seems like it has a solid price point for what it offers.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:43:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would say its better than the sport for sure. I haven't put too many rounds through the saint but I can already tell you that the trigger is the best factory trigger for a rifle anywhere near that price. The furniture is also a huge plus to me, the B5 stuff is great. I like the new forearm better than anything else offered for a "basic" AR, even better than the MOE stuff. The mid length gas system and H buffer are a great upgrade too.
View Quote

It's bravo company furniture, not B5 systems.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I walked into my local shop this past weekend and He had one in stock.  I bought it onsite.  I have been looking at the reviews and once I handled it, I don't think you can beat it at the price range.  I got it for $859.  I am not crazy about the stock A2 site, I tend to prefer the lower profile look with flip up sites on front and back, but other than that I like the rifle.   The trigger is great, nice pull and smooth, the tensioning screw from lower to upper is a nice feature.  The factory setting has little to no play between the two.  BCM furniture is nice, the fore grip is better than the typical A2.  Recoil is very low, put 200 rds through it the day I bought it with no issues. Taking it out this weekend to finish sighting it in and also to sight in with the Aimpoint PRO.  I haven't shot with a coexist set up so we will see how that goes, but cutting that site down and adding a new rail would be the the only mod I may make on it and there is no hurry for me to do that.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 11:39:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Buddy just got one at the show the other day.

I haven't had a chance to REALLLLY dig into it yet....but he was on a limited budget and isn't very savvy with the AR-15 yet.  The SAINT has some features I thought would really do him some good such as a clean, nickel boron trigger and a melonite 1/8 twist, 4150 barrel.  I would have loved 1/9 but 1/8 will do.  It'll let him shoot both 55 and 62 grain factory ammo well.  He's not a reloader nor a super active shooter.

From the box, the gun is clean and light.  The adjustable butt stock is quite tight, which I liked though it is a wee bit difficult to manipulate easily.  Still, it is nice and solid.

So, too, were the upper and lower receivers.  The fit on them was great right out of the box.

The bolt carrier holds a Carpenter 158, mil spec processed bolt.  The carrier is M16A1 style and bolt to carrier fit was excellent.  I need to make sure the carrier is chrome lined....but I am sure it likely is.

The gorgeous hand guard and the ugly assed grip are VERY comfortable.  The grip may be ugly but it sure feels damn nice.  The hand guard is sweeeeet.   Lined, too, from what I have seen.

I wasn't a big fan of the back up iron but only because it didn't meet my sense of style.  It is all metal and provides a nice sight picture.

The gun was solid and well built.....gonna do an inital cleaning and further inspection this weekend....then, hopefully we will shoot it over the holidays.   I shall report further.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I just want a set of the damn handguards.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, my buddy stopped by with the SAINT and we did some initial cleaning, oiling and a tech briefing on the gun.

It was REALLLLLLY weird working on instructing a guy who's been shot down behind enemy lines in Cambodia, let me tell ya.  I kept thinking to myself...."what in the HELL can I teach this guy?"  He was a door gunner in Vietnam from the late 60s to early 70s.  His main gun was, besides a spade gripped 60, an M14, actually.  He REALLLLLY lit up when my roomie brought up one of his NM Springfield M1A rifles.

Anyhow, the SAINT is a stellar gun from everything I can tell.  The bolt head is MPI'd and shot peened.  The carrier bore is chrome lined and, as a whole is really nicely finished.  The bolt and carrier fit up is nice and tight.  In fact, I am thinking it may take a bit of breaking in.

The bore was excellent as was the chamber and all of the fit and finish was exactly what you would expect from a service grade rifle.

Man, that Nickel Boron trigger is an AWESOME service grade trigger.  Breaks at about 6.5 pounds, heavy...but crisp.

Everything about this gun seemed absolutely top notch.  I can't wait to shoot it!!!!  errr....I mean, have my buddy shoot it!!!! 

Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Picked-up a Saint last week, my first AR.  Had it to the range yesterday, put 60 rounds through it, no issues what so ever.  During post range inspection/cleaning, I noted that the extractor spring was flush with the top of the extractor O-ring.  Anyone know if this is by design or should it rise above the O-ring a bit as I've seen in pictures for other AR's?  I couldn't find where it might have broken off when I was removing/cleaning the extractor.  Will call Springfield and see what they say but, thought I'd also ask her.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Picked-up a Saint last week, my first AR.  Had it to the range yesterday, put 60 rounds through it, no issues what so ever.  During post range inspection/cleaning, I noted that the extractor spring was flush with the top of the extractor O-ring.  Anyone know if this is by design or should it rise above the O-ring a bit as I've seen in pictures for other AR's?  I couldn't find where it might have broken off when I was removing/cleaning the extractor.  Will call Springfield and see what they say but, thought I'd also ask her.  Thanks.
View Quote

Update:  Sent pics of the extractor to Springfield CS who passed them to a firearms technician.  The response was that the setup of the spring and O-ring on my Saint are correct.  So, no issue.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:18:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I am new to the forum and fairly new to the AR-15.  I bought a M&P Sport for my son last Christmas, and have wanted an AR-15 ever since.  I debated back and forth about building one, or buying one complete for the past year.  I decided that my first AR would be a factory rifle, so hopefully I would not have to worry about reliability.  After reading and watching many reviews on the Saint, I bought one. There were two things I didn't care for about the rifle which are just personal preference.  The first thing is the furniture.  I really liked the BCM furniture, but wished that there was an option with FDE furniture.  The second was the FSP.  I would have kept the FSP, but decided since I was going to be adding some FDE, that I'd install a low profile gas block also.  It is a really nice rifle and shoots awesome. Anyways, now I am addicted to the AR platform, and will be building another in the future.  This rifle will be used for fun at the range and home defense.  Only other thing I want to add is a light, possibly a Mini Scout.IMG_5356 by Jeff Lindemann, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Hello all,

New to the forum but excited to be here.  Just curious if there are any new thoughts on the Saint.  I purchased one a week ago and am waiting for it to show up.  I am new to AR15 but can't wait for it to arrive so I can take it out for a test run.

Anything I should know before heading out to the range.

thanks all

Layne
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I am new to the forum and fairly new to the AR-15.  I bought a M&P Sport for my son last Christmas, and have wanted an AR-15 ever since.  I debated back and forth about building one, or buying one complete for the past year.  I decided that my first AR would be a factory rifle, so hopefully I would not have to worry about reliability.  After reading and watching many reviews on the Saint, I bought one. There were two things I didn't care for about the rifle which are just personal preference.  The first thing is the furniture.  I really liked the BCM furniture, but wished that there was an option with FDE furniture.  The second was the FSP.  I would have kept the FSP, but decided since I was going to be adding some FDE, that I'd install a low profile gas block also.  It is a really nice rifle and shoots awesome. Anyways, now I am addicted to the AR platform, and will be building another in the future.  This rifle will be used for fun at the range and home defense.  Only other thing I want to add is a light, possibly a Mini Scout.IMG_5356 by Jeff Lindemann, on Flickr
View Quote

Your front sight is backwards
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Your front sight is backwards
View Quote

First thing I saw too, but nice looking rifle.

I just wish they would have left the mag well alone, instead of the billboard "Saint" marking.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Sure are a lot of first posts in this thread. Interesting.

Would like to see one in person before I pass judgement.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:38:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sure are a lot of first posts in this thread. Interesting.

Would like to see one in person before I pass judgement.
View Quote

Maeve had a few. Build wise they look ok. I'd buy one as a truck gun
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I looked at a Springfield Saint at a gun shop today and was very impressed!   In fact....I ordered one!
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I haven't shot it yet but my buddy has.  He really likes it so far.  I was very impressed by the initial build component quality and assembly...and so far, the gun has panned out.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I picked mine up a few weeks ago. It's my first AR-15 and I've put 200 rounds through it, zero problems.
After getting it sighted in, my groupings are nice and tight at 50 yards, with cheap ammo.
It performs just as well as the $2,500 custom built guns I shot in Florida in December.
The dealers near me can't keep The Saint in stock and they sell at MSRP $899. Springfield has a winner in this gun.

I've added a few things ..... Vortex SPARC AR - Red Dot, Fortis QD End Plate for single point sling attachment, QD Key Mod Receiver on hand guard for two point sling use, BCM Key Mod rail fillers,
A flashlight mount, and flashlight.

If I were to change anything, I'd put a free float hand guard on.  

I'd post a photo, but I need to have a set number of posts before they are visible. I'm on several other forums, and they don't have this requirement. Oh Well.

I need to set up a Go Fund Me page for Ammo purchases
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:12:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Gentleman (and ladies), build/assemble your own rifle
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I picked mine up a few weeks ago. It's my first AR-15 and I've put 200 rounds through it, zero problems.
After getting it sighted in, my groupings are nice and tight at 50 yards, with cheap ammo.
It performs just as well as the $2,500 custom built guns I shot in Florida in December.
The dealers near me can't keep The Saint in stock and they sell at MSRP $899. Springfield has a winner in this gun.

I've added a few things ..... Vortex SPARC AR - Red Dot, Fortis QD End Plate for single point sling attachment, QD Key Mod Receiver on hand guard for two point sling use, BCM Key Mod rail fillers,
A flashlight mount, and flashlight.

If I were to change anything, I'd put a free float hand guard on.  

I'd post a photo, but I need to have a set number of posts before they are visible. I'm on several other forums, and they don't have this requirement. Oh Well.

I need to set up a Go Fund Me page for Ammo purchases
View Quote

Congrats!  The Saint is my first AR also.  I'm very impressed with the Saint and how well it shoots.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a SAINT. IMO it's the best production AR "For the money". I paid $820 a couple of months ago however, you can find them for less now.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:54:53 AM EDT
[#32]
I have had the Saint for about 6 weeks now and have done a fair amount of research on it and other ARs as well.  I have to say that so far, I really like this rifle.  I have put about 500 rounds through it and have not had any issues whatsoever.  What I found was I really like researching various parts to find out the ends and outs of this rifle.  I found that the Saint is very similar to the BCM MID16 Mod 0.  Much of the same furniture obviously but the look is almost exact other than the BCM does not come with a rear sight out of the box.  Not sure if the BCG is BCM or not or if the trigger group or charging handle is BCM either.  No idea about the barrel either.  After researching as much as I could about the Saint for 2 weeks, I found myself listing out parts I might want to use if I ever decided to build my own.  Then all of a sudden I starting ordering parts.

I have now finished building out my first custom AR:
  • Battle Arms Development - BAD 15 lower
  • KNS Precision non-rotating pin set
  • Noveske 60 degree Ambi Safety Selector
  • LBE Magazine release with Odin release button
  • Phase 5 Bolt Catch Extender
  • Phase 5 Winter Trigger Guard
  • Phase 5 QD End plate
  • Gieselle 2 stage trigger
  • Battle Arms Tactical Grip
  • Battle Arms take down and pivot pinsj
  • Spikes Tactical Extension tube, spring and Heavy Buffer
  • Magul Stock with LaRue Rizr
  • Yankee Hill Black Diamond Specter complete upper (1:7)

Custom build on the top and Saint on the bottom.

Taking it to the range this weekend for my first trial.  :)
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Picked up my ordered Saint yesterday. Fit & finish is great. Will clean it this weekend. Can't wait to shot it and sight it in.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:18:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Almost bought one for my first AR, but ultimately went with a Savage Recon instead.  Should have had it tuesday, but my FFL decided to leave town for a week....

Still have thoughts of "did I choose the right one?" pass through my head while I wait to pick it up.  But the Savage was cheaper and had some key features I was looking for over the Saint.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Almost bought one for my first AR, but ultimately went with a Savage Recon instead.  Should have had it tuesday, but my FFL decided to leave town for a week....

Still have thoughts of "did I choose the right one?" pass through my head while I wait to pick it up.  But the Savage was cheaper and had some key features I was looking for over the Saint.
View Quote

I too am looking at the Saint as my first AR. However, I discovered the Savage Recon MSR 15 this morning, and I love the looks and the specs of it. It is also about $65 cheaper than the saint.

Joe
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:40:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Another Saint newbie here.   I've had one about 2 weeks and put 300 rounds thru it with no issues.  The rear sight rocks back & forth some but spring pressure keeps it stable.  QD port on butt stock only?  I looked at S&W M&P sport, ruger .556 and a used carbine (Don't remember the markings) at the same time.  The others sounded like a Maraca when i shook them thou the ruger wasn't bad.  I really like that longer gas tube and hand guard on the saint.  I gotta scope it now just to how it does against my Sako L461 full stock .222 .
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I plan to get one. From what I've seen on YouTube, I don't think you can go wrong. Seems like a Colt to me.

Just a few more perks for around the same price.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#38]
From all I've read and seen, the Saint is a relatively good entry-level AR. The only negatives I can think of are the wobbly handguard (which can easily and cheaply be swapped for something else, if wanted) and there was one video on YouTube of one specimen that had a trigger pin walking out of it, (but that was ONE sample of many others). Nevertheless, I am strongly considering picking one up for my wife's first AR. For what you get for the price, I think it will be worth it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 2:48:29 AM EDT
[#39]
I been trying too. Last factory FSB rifle bought was the 2012 S&W mid magpul moe rifle and it has been amazing. It's the only FSB AR I own next to my nordic/dpms .22lr. I been yearning for a new one and it looks very promising.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Just my 2 cents: a very nice guy at the range yesterday let me fire 5 rounds from his brand new Saint that he had been shooting for the first time.  It was light, and felt great.  The trigger is awesome.  It felt like a good 1911 trigger.  It felt really solid.  It didn't seem to have that jangly feeling from the recoil spring like my 6920 -- it just seemed quieter and smoother.   Nice rifle.

Cheers,

Jack
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top