Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yup......Once you catch the "Black Rifle Disease" you can never own just one AR.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Colt would be a fine first AR rifle.

But once you begin, there's no turning back.

Yup......Once you catch the "Black Rifle Disease" you can never own just one AR.

amen
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Curious why Colt ?

Much better off with a mid length gas system and a free float rail. Bcm, DD, MI, & Pws are all way better options.
View Quote

define better, why does he have to have a ff rail as the rifle isn't set up for precision hell, most ARs are not precision builds, and let's talk options as anyone can change the handguard etc.  Not one of those options you listed are in fact better and one could argue that with Colt's military track records, the others haven't proved squat yet.  That said, for the price, you will not find a better rifle that will be as reliable, accurate, or functional

nice job OP, you picked the best option
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I totally agree with your post. There are more expensive AR'S out there but the Colt 6920 is an excellent first AR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd take a Colt over a BCM or DD any day...
Brand loyalty is not logical. Colts are fine rifles, the standard all others are judged by. Most fall below that standard, a few are a cut above, BCM and DD are widely accepted to be among those few. Colt is the best bang for the money, but it's not the best rifle in absolute terms.  

I totally agree with your post. There are more expensive AR'S out there but the Colt 6920 is an excellent first AR.

funny, I have owned them all and found that dollar for dollar, nothing comes close.  BCM brands themselves as 'colt like' only you to change the configuration.  YOu can do that with the Colt as well only after you bought it.  It makes no sense to own a kac, lwrc etc other than for variety or if you want a particular feature because at the end of the day, that colt will go bang when you pull the trigger, will hit the target and will function exactly like those higher priced names.  Remember, you can modify any rifle to anything you want
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:19:03 AM EDT
[#4]
My first AR a few years back was one of the restricted LE6920 models, wrapped and new in the box. I ended up putting a different hand guard, an Atlas bipod, a Giselle trigger, a folding Larue Troy rear sight and a Leopold MarkAR scope in quick release mounts, so it doesn't look at all like it did originally. These modifications leave you with a lot of spare parts in a box. It does always go bang and seems very reliable and shot into the 9 ring at 25yds straight out of the box. I've gone out with a few guys with other new AR's that weren't even on the paper at 25yds. Maybe today I'd consider one of their stripped models so I could dress it up nice, which would be cheaper than swapping out the original parts. I have noticed, though, that despite all the cool toys available for AR's that if you look at a lot of pictures of swat teams and spec ops guys, they very often are carrying pretty stock looking M4's with the original hand guard, Aframe front sight and often the older original Armalite M16 style with the non removable carry handle. There are even a lot of the solid stocks still being used, A2's, I presume. Lesson is that the Colts are a pretty good weapon of war...and of play and I don't think you can go too wrong buying... and relying on one in a bad situation. That being said, my second AR is a 10.5" pistol built on an 80% lower and Anderson upper, which is a very very fun little gun. Unlike the Colt however, the upper had to go back to Anderson for chamber work that was causing stuck rounds. When that happened, I knew I had done right by first buying a stock Colt, which I will never for one second regret.

BTW, I love this forum. Whenever I have an issue I can come on here and always find the answer. Many thanks to all of you more experienced AR guys.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:03:06 AM EDT
[#5]
This is my first post after lurking here for a while.
I'd like to say this is a great site for finding real information on ARs. I was convinced after reading various other forums that I "needed" to get a BCM Mid length because mid is best etc.
After reading here, I'm thinking best choice for me (regular joe who wants a solid, reliable AR for paper punching and HD..no Spec Ops in my near future) is the Colt LE6920 OEM-1. This gives me a solid/reliable complete rifle with the option to put whatever furniture I want on my AR and save some serious cash.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is my first post after lurking here for a while.
I'd like to say this is a great site for finding real information on ARs. I was convinced after reading various other forums that I "needed" to get a BCM Mid length because mid is best etc.
After reading here, I'm thinking best choice for me (regular joe who wants a solid, reliable AR for paper punching and HD..no Spec Ops in my near future) is the Colt LE6920 OEM-1. This gives me a solid/reliable complete rifle with the option to put whatever furniture I want on my AR and save some serious cash.
Thanks.
View Quote
OEM 1 is a great choice, imo.

Look hard and you can get one for ~$750 shipped. If you want Colt furniture, the EE is full of takeoffs.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Colt is fine though, if it were my first, I'd get a BCM Recce with a 15" KMR-A
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:22:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sorry for the late response..i bought the colt le6920. Better late than never. I hope I'm not too late to get a colt since they were the best thing to get back in 2013
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sorry for the late response..i bought the colt le6920. Better late than never. I hope I'm not too late to get a colt since they were the best thing to get back in 2013
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It'll suit you well.  Enjoy
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I've have the 6920's kissin' cousin the LE6940 (w/LEO markings) since 2009 and it runs like an IHI...
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Some of these responses have surprised me a little. I've been away from AR's for a while but last I remembered BCM and Colt seemed to be the brands with the highest amount of respect. I had an AR that is made up with a bunch of mixed parts, but they were high quality. Anyway, I always wanted a real Colt and I read the review Molon did on the accuracy of the 14.5" Socom barrel. I always loved the look of a real M4 and was very surprised to see how well it shot compared to other more expensive barrels.

I ended up getting a 6921 socom upper with a pinned fs, but have not tried it yet, hope to get it to the range soon.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#12]
is this thing any good???

Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top