Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/18/2016 6:17:11 PM EDT
After a lot of research I've decided to go with the Colt LE6920. I would like to hear from your experience operating this weapon. Any good facts and what I should look out for? I understand that this AR model has been out for awhile. are there any newer models or should I stick with this one?
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Curious why Colt ?

Much better off with a mid length gas system and a free float rail. Bcm, DD, MI, & Pws are all way better options.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Curious why Colt ?

Much better off with a mid length gas system and a free float rail. Bcm, DD, MI, & Pws are all way better options.
View Quote

Aren't those more expensive than colt?
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Colt is the best bang for the buck. Its a known quantity with great (if not the best) resale value. Great first gun. Everyone should have one in their collection.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I disagree. Colt doesn't care what their customers want or ask for. I have no use for companies like that. Probly why they just went bankrupt.

Those other ones are a little more expensive, but you get way more. Who doesn't want a free float handgaurd ?

If it was cars, Colt would still be waiting to put a V-8 in it
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#5]
The Colt LE6920 is a great choice for your first rifle or only rifle. They have been making them for a long time.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Colt is the best bang for the buck. Its a known quantity with great (if not the best) resale value. Great first gun. Everyone should have one in their collection.
View Quote

This.

First AR:  just get a Colt, 6920 in your case.

Chances are you'll be happy with it.

If not, easy to modify or sell.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:02:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Curious why Colt ?

View Quote

wrong
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:03:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

correct.

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 3:14:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Excellent choice
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, it's a good choice for those who don't know much about rifles and what's out there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Great choice for your first AR. Just bought one myself (my first, too). Not real sure what your question is but you'll enjoy it.

Lots a Colt haters and lovers. I can't figure out the hate myself but everyone has an opinion. I plan on keeping my 6920 as a sort of M4 clone and buying a 20" upper at some point for target/long distance stuff.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 12:07:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, Colt makes a plain Jane rifle. That's why most are sold at Wal Mart. What's that tell you ?
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Having been in the service for awhile, I knew Colt the best. It is by far the most common rifle name in the service. But, there are better.

Start with a Colt, learn what you like and dislike. Then go get a Daniel Defense or a BCM in that order.

My first was a 6920. My next will be Daniel or BCM. Knights is great to. But, lots of money and not sure it's better than Daniel.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 3:00:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Pretty much what most everyone else said.  

You got probably the "best" first, or only, carbine.  You can shoot it, figure out what you like/dislike, build one to suit those needs, and sell it getting most if not all of your money back.  Or, you could keep it for when you come full circle and want a kiss carbine.

But hey, that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd take a Colt over a BCM or DD any day...
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:09:34 AM EDT
[#16]
The choice of a 6920 is a good one. I am not a Colt Fanboy, but I will admit they make good rifles. They aren't the prettiest things in the world, but they go bang when you press the trigger. For what they are being sold for at the moment in most areas, I think they are a good deal.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 11:53:33 PM EDT
[#17]
My first was a 6920. I eventually free-floated it, put a different grip and stock on, and installed an MBT. It still works perfectly every time I take it out. I"ll never get rid of it even though it doesn't look anything like it did new, just cuz it was the first one.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 4:16:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
Brand loyalty is not logical. Colts are fine rifles, the standard all others are judged by. Most fall below that standard, a few are a cut above, BCM and DD are widely accepted to be among those few. Colt is the best bang for the money, but it's not the best rifle in absolute terms.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#19]
A 6920 is a safe choice for a first AR, if you want a M4-style carbine.  If you strictly want a Colt you could also checkout the 6720/6721 which have a lighter/heavier barrel respectively.  Both can normally be found for slightly less than a 6920.

The 6920's barrel has a notch near front sight (FSB) for a grenade launcher, which I doubt you'll ever utilize.  The 6720's pencil barrel is fine as a civilian-use weapon, unless you'll be converting to full-auto and doing mag dumps, and is easier to carry all day long.  The 6721 has heavy barrel, and some folks just love claiming to have a "long heavy barrel".  (hope you see my humor in last statement ).
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Brand loyalty is not logical. Colts are fine rifles, the standard all others are judged by. Most fall below that standard, a few are a cut above, BCM and DD are widely accepted to be among those few. Colt is the best bang for the money, but it's not the best rifle in absolute terms.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I totally agree with your post. There are more expensive AR'S out there but the Colt 6920 is an excellent first AR.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Widely accepted seems to  changes every couple years so people can sell more stuff and guys can justify buying more stuff.  

Would you a BCM lower for a Colt lower straight up?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Many people believe since a company had been making something since the 60's, that they are the best and what all others are judged. That's bullshit !

Look at DD. Marty started off making handgaurds cause shitty companies like Colt didn't have a good free float handgaurd. And still don't, lmao.  He has since the company to the top. Pws same way. Started out making muzzle brakes. Seen how rifles like Colt failed all the top during thousands of rounds. So they innovated and make a more reliable long stroke piston.

Some will always be Colt fan boys. Not me, I look at everything I buy at who's got their shit together in 2016 !
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wouldnt have 4, soon to be 5, if i didnt agree
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 3:41:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Great AR to have cant go wrong.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:59:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Great AR to have cant go wrong.
View Quote

If I'm not building an AR, there are 2 choices for fully built rifles:  Colt and KAC.

END THREAD
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:31:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'd take the third best rifle of the three then
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Just get the colt
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you 100%. Brand loyalty on my part was due exclusively to having been issued Colt's as my primary personal weapon for over a decade. Their made well enough that I did not die because it failed to go bang.

And your correct about the name. The Colt is the 'un-named' benchmark all others follow, while a few, do rise above Colt. And you pay for that too.

The Colt is the only brand I know that you can buy, shoot it awhile, then (keeping it stock-unmolested) will sell very close to what you paid for it.

I came across a 'used' Daniel Defense the other day. It sold for $1,300. And it showed use as well. So, rought 400 bucks, get to shoot it as much as ya want, then sell it for enough to buy a new Colt LE6920 with money for ammo left over.

It's all in what you want. You cannot buy experience. So, I would go Colt (if your budget allows-you can go cheaper) and have a very solid platform. I would be proud to own Colt, Daniel, BCM and Knights. The Knights are probably the most expen$ive AR platform out there. I would love to own one if my pocketbook says so. I almost did buy one, but, then, I came across a house I must have. So......home is more important.

I will get a Daniel or BCM (LOVE their Jack carbine),but, for the money I want Daniel. I lust for their (Daniel) trigger. I lust for their rifle altogether. Followed by BCM's Jack carbine.

I just bought a BCM Gunfighter charging handle for my 6920. Have not tried it yet, but, that is one part of my Colt I do NOT like. Their furniture too. I completely changed all my Colt furniture to Daniel Defense's over-mold furniture. I'm lovin my Colt now. And still cost hundreds less than buying the real deal.

I will get the real deal after this house is bought.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Carried a colt back in the day, own a colt now. I don't give a shit about the customer service aspect. I'll fix whatever I break.
It's a well made affordable rifle. Worth the price.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
After a lot of research I've decided to go with the Colt LE6920. I would like to hear from your experience operating this weapon. Any good facts and what I should look out for? I understand that this AR model has been out for awhile. are there any newer models or should I stick with this one?
View Quote

If you did your research you will know a man by the name of Eugene Stoner designed this rifle (AR platform-originally a 7.62mm).  He worked for a company named Armalite. The design name was give "AR", short for Armalite..

Armalite sold the design/manufacturing rights patent to Colt who marketed it to the Army in late 50's. It was fielded with the US Army in very early 60's in Vietnam. At first, the Army wanted a smaller, higher powered round. So, they took the triple duece (.222), lengthened the case and the 5.56,, NATO round was born (.223). They were also made in 7.62mm later. Knights still makes the original Stoner design. But, Colt owns the name for the original AR15/M16/M4. But, the Army has exculsive rights to the M16/M4 names.

So, yeah, Colt is the oldest name in AR and Colt has provided the (Army named) M16 (in different varieties) and the AR-15 was available to the public.

Without going to more detail, the Colt is the oldest, most respected name in AR platforms. Any guys (or gals) who served our country are generally familiar with Colt. Mostly Army, Marines, some Air Force, Navy and Coast Guard too.

Most any aftermarket oart you find will be based on the Colt AR design and will fit it. Generally speaking.

So, yeah, I was issued one in the service, I knew it best, so it became my first. It was like seeing a old friend again when I got mine. Still remembered most every part, how to shoot, zero it, break it down etc etc.

In my outlook a guy cannot go wrong getting a Colt 6920 as his first. You literally get a good bang for your buck and can do anything (like change furniture) with it.

It's a great choice. Most well known name in AR too. Akin to the AK, which is most popular around the world, we Americans like our AR (and AK's lol-those use to be exclusive to the enemy in my day-and they were feared too-I had great respect for them).
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Keep living off the name. Their rifle lineup is a joke. It's 2016 and they are way behind the times. Good reason for their bankruptcy.
I would consider Colt if they offered more models and models people want. They don't even offer different cerakotes like most companies are doing now. Companies that don't adapt to the market or innovate usually end up bankrupt. Aka Colt !
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#32]
6 Colt's in 5.56...2 in 9mm..no regrets at all
I do however own BCM,DD,FN & Windham also
6920 is a fine fairly priced starters rifle...LOL
get one you won't regret
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I have recently purchased the Colt and could not be happier. I have no prior experience with the AR platform. I wanted a rifle that would function reliably and would have good resale value. I had a budget of no more than $1,000. I didn't want to have to make a bunch of decisions about lower and upper and iron sights. I just wanted a good basic AR.  I sought advice on this forum and from a firearms instructor with a local law enforcement agency.  I love this rifle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#34]
You may want a BCM gunfighter charging handle. Makes a world of difference when yu have to use it. I use the medium. Great product and fits your Colt just like it was made for it.

Congrats. You won't be disappointed. I changed up the furniture on mine to Daniel Defense's over mold furniture.

With the new charging handle, my Colt is perfect now. And I'm into it for hundreds less than Daniel. But, I lust for Daniel. LOVE their triggers. I will own Daniel after I close on my new house.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 3:57:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Bankruptcy most likely due to losing the M4 contract with the military to FN not on civilian sales or product line up. Colt AR15s are made to the same standards as their M16s/M4s and have been the standard for 40+ years.

Good choice for first and second and third, etc. AR. Better is subjective.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Good choice if your into plane Jane outdated rifles
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Posted by Maxbob;
Good choice if your into plane Jane outdated rifles
View Quote

You got a serious hard on for Colt.
What makes them outdated when they sell the same configuration as most of the industry using the same or better TDP as most of the insudtry.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Keep living off the name. Their rifle lineup is a joke. It's 2016 and they are way behind the times. Good reason for their bankruptcy.
I would consider Colt if they offered more models and models people want. They don't even offer different cerakotes like most companies are doing now. Companies that don't adapt to the market or innovate usually end up bankrupt. Aka Colt !
View Quote

Speaking of 2016... You've been here about 8mo.

Why don't you do a little more reading and less running of the mouth as a newer member... Oh wait. You're not even a paying member.

To the OP: Colt is s fine first rifle. You will be very happy.

Link Posted: 9/8/2016 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Why don't you do a little more reading and less running of the mouth as a newer member... Oh wait. You're not even a paying member.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 1:09:28 AM EDT
[#40]
The Colt 6920 is a great first choice. It's no show piece and the price reflects that, but its as close as you can get to mil-spec and the only consumer available AR built from TDP specs. Its equal or greater in the durability and reliability department to some of the more expensive shiny and chrome brands.

If you get the OEM2 Colt you can add your own free float hand guard for a more modern form and function.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Well, Colt makes a plain Jane rifle. That's why most are sold at Wal Mart. What's that tell you ?
View Quote

Perhaps it could be mass production? If DD or BCM pushed out the exact same number of rifles every year, I'm sure you will find them in Walmart as well. AR is a dime a dozen and you can put all the fancy stuff you want on them and they are still.....an AR. No I'm not hating on the AR at all and own four of them myself but I'm not naive to think they are some ultra kick ass gun that needs the fancy stuff. Our boys across the world and police use a pretty much a "plain Jane" rifle in the service of protecting the country.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:05:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Curious why Colt ?

View Quote

Oh God.

Seriously, just stop.

Can we propose a new law? No posting for the 1st year.  Sheesh.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I say do it! A 6920 would be a great first AR or only AR for that matter. I bought one as my first AR and I have zero regrets for doing so. After I had it a little while and had handled some other brands I was happy I chose the Colt. You will get a a quality rifle with parts that are well made. I don't think you can get a better rifle for the money.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:25:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Our service men/women use them everyday. Not much that needs added to that,  imo.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yeah, it's a good choice for those who don't know much about rifles and what's out there.
View Quote

I am more than aware of what is out there and I own several different top tier brands (LaRue, KAC, DD, BCM, etc)

The Colt is a great rifle ..... You should go read the high round count AR thread by Ron at Battlefield Las Vegas .... They have been running Colt M4s (6920s) and with over 30,000 rounds full auto and all they had fail was ejector springs!  He stated they haven't had a single Colt bolt failure .... That is super impressive ..... He also stated the RSO's use these weapons everyday and usually migrate towards the colts

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 10:14:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Well,  let's see if I can correctly offer my first post.  Max (or Bob?);  the OP asked for opinions, not yours 10 times.   And regarding Walmart,   they sell luxury watches like IWC 5001 for over $10k;  a $3k savings.   So, "what does that tell you?"

Also,  I just added the 6920 to my little (that bitch is actually going to win) arsenal and am very happy with it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Nothing wrong with the 6920 they are a fine shooting upgradable rifle that fits most needs for the regular Joe,  They wouldn't be around if people didn't keep buying them.  I would have probably bought one, if I didn't already own my M16's.  I am building my own so I really don't need to buy any more complete guns, but might in the future.  Building them gives me the ability to basically build any type I could even want.

If you are happy with it in your hands, then it is the best gun in the world for you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Watchngars, good first post. I'm sure the 6920 fits you well as a newbie. I have been taking carbine courses for a few years and know my way around the Ar-15. Statements were just my opinion and I have the knowledge and ability to build rifles better than the 6920. Don't be jealous
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I disagree. Colt doesn't care what their customers want or ask for. I have no use for companies like that. Probly why they just went bankrupt.

Those other ones are a little more expensive, but you get way more. Who doesn't want a free float handgaurd ?

If it was cars, Colt would still be waiting to put a V-8 in it
View Quote

There is NO way you are from Kansas with a response like that
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a great rifle, have one.  There are lots of great choices and this is one of them
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top