Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 6:47:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like my M-Lok 13" Faxon rail.

Sturdy, well built, a lil on the heavy side (but I ain't no punk bitch) and it doesn't look like the storage shelves in my garage . . . or penises all over my handguard.
View Quote
Curious, what was the weight with barrel nut? Their site was a tad confusing and didn't give specifics.

FYI, I don't plan on owning one, MI is my only go to for Mlok free floats.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Curious, what was the weight with barrel nut? Their site was a tad confusing and didn't give specifics.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sturdy, well built, a lil on the heavy side (but I ain't no punk bitch) and it doesn't look like the storage shelves in my garage . . . or penises all over my handguard.

Check out the Centurion CMR M-Lok.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh. I'm not into Centurion and MI has a whole lot more of weight savings.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you handled one? It's a VERY solid rail with a robust mounting system. I had a MI G3 M-Lok on an 11.5" upper and really liked it. I sold that rail when I parted out the upper because it was too short for the next build. I was going to order a longer G3 but ended up giving Centurion a try and I'm glad I did.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Have you handled one? It's a VERY solid rail with a robust mounting system. I had a MI G3 M-Lok on an 11.5" upper and really liked it. I sold that rail when I parted out the upper because it was too short for the next build. I was going to order a longer G3 but ended up giving Centurion a try and I'm glad I did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, not yet. All I see at the hometown shoots we have here are quads, GI, or Magpul but at least they have cans on some of them for me to trial, with the occasional happy switch
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I think M-lok will prevail, but I prefer keymod. I like the attachment better. The toolless adjustability of my BCM vertical grip is awesome.

Not impressed by the G rail.  Not impressed by the clamping and anti rotation screws.  Installed one and a UTG Pro and prefer the UTG for cleanness.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:34:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think M-lok will prevail, but I prefer keymod. I like the attachment better. The toolless adjustability of my BCM vertical grip is awesome.

Not impressed by the G rail.  Not impressed by the clamping and anti rotation screws.  Installed one and a UTG Pro and prefer the UTG for cleanness.

View Quote

Can you elaborate on what you didn't like about the G rail?  It's probably the easiest to install and most robust mounting system I've ever seen in an AR handguard (or at least on par with DD's attachment method).
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
What's a G rail? Geissele?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I've never owned a Geissele rail but I'm curious to hear his reply.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#11]
The Geiselle rail is stout, no question.  But here's what I didn't like:
 - clamping the barrel nut - I've seen this design in lots of vendor's rails - MI and others.  I've never liked it because the bolts have to sit way down and out on the sides due to the material needed to clamp against and to miss the barrel nut.
 - the anti-rotation allen screws - they press against the sides of the upper.  Not the most elegant solution to keep the rail from turning.  This means more material out on the sides adding to the rail thickness and extending back past the front face of the upper.
 - the diameter - I prefer a slimmer rail design.  The G rail felt almost as big around as some of my picatinny rails (DD, KAC).

The UTG pro rail uses a cylindrical barrel nut like the G, but the rail slips over and screws go into it, instead of clamping around it.  That's part of the reason that is much slimmer (1/4" or more in diameter).  It is a cheaper version of my most favorite rail, the Noveske NSR (which incidentally is now available in M-Lok).  The NSR also uses an optional anti-rotation pin that goes between a hole above the gas tube hole in the upper and the rail.  Simple, elegant, and hidden in the existing profile of the rail.

I've never found an angled grip or handstop that I like.  I still use a thumb break grip on a VFG.  The BCM keymod VFG is perfect because I can adjust its location on the rail without tools.  And my scout mount in KM from IWC is awesomely solid.

All of the rails mentioned will work just fine. Most of what I cite above is just my preference.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The Geiselle rail is stout, no question.  But here's what I didn't like:
 - clamping the barrel nut - I've seen this design in lots of vendor's rails - MI and others.  I've never liked it because the bolts have to sit way down and out on the sides due to the material needed to clamp against and to miss the barrel nut.
 - the anti-rotation allen screws - they press against the sides of the upper.  Not the most elegant solution to keep the rail from turning.  This means more material out on the sides adding to the rail thickness and extending back past the front face of the upper.
 - the diameter - I prefer a slimmer rail design.  The G rail felt almost as big around as some of my picatinny rails (DD, KAC).

The UTG pro rail uses a cylindrical barrel nut like the G, but the rail slips over and screws go into it, instead of clamping around it.  That's part of the reason that is much slimmer (1/4" or more in diameter).  It is a cheaper version of my most favorite rail, the Noveske NSR (which incidentally is now available in M-Lok).  The NSR also uses an optional anti-rotation pin that goes between a hole above the gas tube hole in the upper and the rail.  Simple, elegant, and hidden in the existing profile of the rail.

I've never found an angled grip or handstop that I like.  I still use a thumb break grip on a VFG.  The BCM keymod VFG is perfect because I can adjust its location on the rail without tools.  And my scout mount in KM from IWC is awesomely solid.

All of the rails mentioned will work just fine. Most of what I cite above is just my preference.
View Quote

Gotcha.  Definitely, if one of your concerns is the slimness/profile of the rail, the G rail probably won't be in the top choices.  I've actually owned an NSR rail and the anti-rotation feature was one of my biggest complaints.  I had to pay ADCO $50 to drill the hole in the upper for me.    The G rail is definitely not very slim, though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:33:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Honestly, I'm so over keymod and m-lock. Currently have a Troy Alpha on my Sig and love it. I'd like to see some more round and hole designs.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:56:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Honestly, I'm so over keymod and m-lock. Currently have a Troy Alpha on my Sig and love it. I'd like to see some more round and hole designs.
View Quote

What is it about keymod and m-lok that you don't like?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#15]
have both, not an elitist either way.  I buy what I like, YMMV

I guess if I had to choose I'd go with mlok, but I love my KMR so it's really a toss up to what the rail feels like to me
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like the Alpha rail (yep, got one of them too).  Had Troy gone the extra mile to standardize attachment to that hole pattern, they could have been way out in front of the other two in the market.  The VTAC version has a different hole pattern, so that was not their primary intention I guess.

The downside of that rail is the machining and that most accessories have a backing nut that has to go inside the rail.  I think tubular rails should be smooth or have textured paint, but it has all kind of little fins and stuff on it that make it a cheese grater.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, they have already drove m-lock  & keymod in the ground. Everyone is doing it and it's all you see. Give it time and people will get tired of it as well. Just like anything else.

I'm looking forward to some companies making some more rails. It's why I like YHM and Troy and Diamondhead. they have some unique rails. I can't believe Diamondhead doesn't get more love.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well, they have already drove m-lock  & keymod in the ground. Everyone is doing it and it's all you see. Give it time and people will get tired of it as well. Just like anything else.

I'm looking forward to some companies making some more rails. It's why I like YHM and Troy and Diamondhead. they have some unique rails. I can't believe Diamondhead doesn't get more love.
View Quote

Everyone and their brother is in fact on the Keymod/M-Lok band wagon and for good reason. For the first time since the picatinny rail was introduced, there are two new attachment systems available that do not use proprietary accessories. Because the TDP of both mounting systems are freely available there can be, and currently is, industry wide support.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#19]
KeyMod for me. I never have cared for M-Lok's mounting system. They both work though, so it's personal preference.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I would say look at ALG rails. Good price and well made. And easiest mounting for a FF
View Quote

agreed, they're rock-solid and the timing method is ingenious and very east to accomplish

best part: the price point.  for what you're getting it's easily one of the best-priced hand guards out there
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I like my MI Keymod.  Takes anything/everything I want to hang on it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Dbl post
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There were a few articles, back in January, that showed, based on sales, M-LOK was outselling  keymod about 3 to 1.

That was back in January. Now the gap is most likely even bigger.
Then, if you look at foreign companies, that offer products to military, you notice that most of them completely jumped from picatini straight to M-LOK, completely bypassing keymod.

BCM is the only company that refuses to make M-LOK handguards and i think they lost millions in sales for not making the M-LOK version of their KMR.

There's alost zero reason, for someone starting now, to go keymod.
View Quote

I would lose my mind if BCM made their short vertical grip that direct attached to Mlok.... wishful thinking.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#25]
From an engineering stand point, keymod secures things better in my opinion and it's less easy to screw up tolerancing wise
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
From an engineering stand point, keymod secures things better in my opinion and it's less easy to screw up tolerancing wise
View Quote

There are a lot of cheap "keymod" rails without the proper chamfering.  The mlok is just a rectangle, how is that hard to screw up? Just curious how you figure?
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't like how when you take off a M-Lock accessory the nut falls off. Keymod is so much easier to attach to and remove. Guess it's all a personal opinions, but I garuantee if it was on an assembly line, keymod would be a clear winner.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don't like how when you take off a M-Lock accessory the nut falls off. Keymod is so much easier to attach to and remove. Guess it's all a personal opinions, but I garuantee if it was on an assembly line, keymod would be a clear winner.
View Quote

You're doing something seriously wrong if the nut is falling off when you remove MLOK accessories.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#29]
No, they make the screws barely long enough. Keymods are made to where they can't fall off. That's just easier and better to me. Especially out in the field. Drop a little m-lock nut in the grass and good luck finding it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
No, they make the screws barely long enough. Keymods are made to where they can't fall off. That's just easier and better to me. Especially out in the field. Drop a little m-lock nut in the grass and good luck finding it.
View Quote

I own 4 MLOK rails and have MLOK accessories (from multiple manufacturers) on all of them.  NONE require the removal of the nut from the screw when removing the accessory from the handguard.

I'm straight up telling you, you are doing something wrong and spreading bad information.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I too have gone with the BCM KMR 15"
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:29:38 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't know why looks is a big deal. Companies like BCM & YHM are making great rail covers for both anyway. You won't know weather it is one or the other. But most agree keymod is an easier attaching.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:54:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I don't know why looks is a big deal. Companies like BCM & YHM are making great rail covers for both anyway. You won't know weather it is one or the other. But most agree keymod is an easier attaching.
View Quote
I have a pencil barrel on mine, adding covers will block some of the cooling which is actually important when shooting for groups and not wanting to be there all afternoon and some of the evening. I don't want my free float with a pencil barrel looking like warehouse shelving, so M-Lok it is and only M-Lok it will be.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Warehouse shelving ? What is so good looking about M-Lock. It is so contemporary looking. Love my keymods with YHM and Bcm covers.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Warehouse shelving ? What is so good looking about M-Lock. It is so contemporary looking. Love my keymods with YHM and Bcm covers.
View Quote
An aestheticly pleasing lightweight free float with a modern design interface is contemporary to you? Those slots on keymods were developed back in the early 1900's for shelving purposes, not exactly high tech and modern looking all on it's own, and doesn't instill much thought for such a "revolutionary" design, which it is not.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Yeah, coming up with a rectangle slot is real revolutionary.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#38]
http://motusworld.com/2014/12/magpul-m-lok-system/

That article gives a good description of M-Lok
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
And stealing the idea from warehouse shelving is revolutionary?

Pot calling the kettle black is what this is.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:21:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Who gives a shit?" is what it is.  They're both good systems, and eventually market forces will make one the winner, likely not because it's revolutionary or even necessarily the most practical.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Another M-Lok convert, for most of the reasons listed.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:19:33 AM EDT
[#42]
My only gripe with m-lok is the need to adjust the nuts on the accessory rails. Magpul has published a 5 page paper illustrating tips on using the system...great customer support, for sure, but...

I never needed instructions for any of my keymod rails. I was already familiar with those industrial shelving units and making attachments was intuitive.

I do like that m-lok was a Magpul innovation that they donated to the firearms community.

Honestly, I don't care what shape the slots in my handguard happen to be, as long as they hold tight under fire. Both seem to work just fine. Amazing how this polarizes people so much.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:00:20 AM EDT
[#43]
nevermind
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#45]
That OEM HK rail looked super heavy, at least this a step in the right direction to lighten things up for them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#46]
I recently sold my Aero KM upper to a friend, mostly I didn't like the diameter of the FF handguard but that leaves only M-lok in the safe. I'll probably stick with that going forward.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top