AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 11:59:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Found this thread after putting a "hi, I'm new post."

Found this site today. I bought a Bushmaster ORC rifle last week, and I'm buying a .300 BLK upper this week. Bought BUIS yesterday, but realized after I got home I bought two front sights. Have to go back and buy two rear sights since I know I'll be building another and will be using the extras.

I just ordered some 20 round mags. I always liked them better than the 30s. Wish I could find some old 20 round bandoliers. The loaded mags fit perfectly.

I retired a second time last month, and moved back to Texas, San Antonio area. Retired the first time from the Army in 1997, after starting out as a dog handler, K9, in Viet Nam 71/72, Airborne Infantry and MI in the 82nd, and the sandbox 90/91. A few other assignments over the years. Very familiar with the AR, but carried an M9 in the sandbox. Field striped the M4 the other night, it had been almost 20 years, and still could have done it blindfolded.

I've done a lot of research, but I know this site will answer almost all my questions.

Looking forward to being here.

Thanks,
Al
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:29:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 2:57:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: minion42] [#4]
Hi all,

So after years of wanting to get one, I finally bought an AR from a friend who runs a gun shop. It's an Anderson blem lower + 16" DelTon flattop upper with mid length hand guard and an A2 rear sight. Also got a CMMG .22lr conversion.

My only prior experience with ARs was a four-day course at FrontSight. I got this gun because I wanted to get a basic rifle and learn to become a good rifleman before I go all Barbie with my gun.

Though it's probably blasphemy on this forum, I gotta say...I'm not really in love with it. My very limited experience with guns prior to this has all been plinking with small "standard configuration" .22lr rifles (Marlin, Ruger, etc) so I'm not happy with the grip style, the ergonomics, the "SPRONG!!!" of the buffer tube and the sight offset (probably my biggest beef with the gun). However I love the way it looks and really really want to like the gun, so I figure I'll learn to like it eventually. I took it to the range to try to get it zeroed at 50yds but I was all over the map and got very frustrated since I can tear the middle out of a target with a .22lr. Definitely haven't gotten to the point where the gun feels natural at all.

I might post a picture if I can get over my wariness of guns and the internet. :)

Thanks for having me, and I hope to learn a lot and learn to like the gun I just bought.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 3:40:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Heck, I'd shoot .22 a lot more, if it weren't still in the grips of ammo hoarders. I know a guy that shops our local Wal-Mart, has 150,000 rnds and counting. He's buying his 3rd gun safe, to store it. Won't even show up at the store, unless they get in 550 bricks.

You're going from one platform to another and its going to take a break in period.

When I bought my 5.56/.223, I wanted something that wouldn't intimidate my wife, daughter and they might get used to shooting something bigger than the rimfires (they refused to shoot my bolt action .308). I had always wanted a Mini-14, because my dad owned one and I had great experience with it. And I think that's partially due to what my wife said to me. The Mini just feels natural, because its the standard rifle platform, a lot of us grew up learning how to shoot and then always shot, afterwards.

My first day out with the AR, was a very odd experience. Even having shot my friends often.. it was weird having as much time as I wanted with it and switching back and forth between the two platforms. As the day wore on... I got more and more comfortable with the AR. You should find the same.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Hello,

First time poster, long time lurker.

Well I think she is finished (although I know she never will be) with about 1000 rounds and not a hiccup

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 3:11:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Hello, I am new to the site and have recently finished my first AR build.

It only cost around $650 to put together.  Uses an Anderson lower with a PSA parts kit, a Tapco stock, and a PSA upper.  I also added a "see through" rail to the carry handle that will allow me to add an optic later.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:41:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Hello,

I'm new to AR-15's and used to hate them.  May still.  The only AR platform I have owned was the PLR-16 but did not do much at all with it selling to a friend.  I am mainly a AK-47 shooter.  Although I have a Mosin Nagant I love, I have also owned the great Mossberg 500 tactical, Winchester 30-30, and shot many of the like 30.06, M16, .308, .50, and so on.

A friend is into the AR platform and can not stop talking about them (which is good and he'll more then likely see me on here) making me more interested in getting one.  Mainly the 300 Blackout.

I have done my fair share of YouTubeing the matter and am here to learn more.  

SmallThunder
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Hi,

I've been a member here for a while, but pretty inactive.  I have a 1998 Colt Sporter match that I bought new during the Clinton ban.  No flash hider or bayonet lug, because obviously they would have made it just too dangerous.

I've been mainly a handgun shooter for quite some time, but recently re-discovered ARs.  

I picked up a 6721 Carbine yesterday.  Will be at the range when they open in the morning!  For now I stuck a cheap Vortex Strike Fire red dot on it.

It's kind of funny - I live in MD and after Sandy Hook they passed a law that's touted as among the toughest gun laws in the country.  ARs, AKs and others are banned.  But the law specifically excludes HBars.  Under the old law semi-auto rifles were regulated like handguns, 7 day waiting period, etc.  With the new law the 1s that are legal are cash and carry.  I got mine from a dealer in PA, so it even came with an extra scary 30 round mag.

Goes to show what happens when the clueless make laws.  It's to our advantage, so I'm not complaining!
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Hello! I just thought I would introduce myself. My name is Rick and I have been following this site for a few months now. I'd like to start out by saying thank you to everyone for posting such valuable information. It has helped me through many decisions as well as through some usage questions. Almost everything I needed to know up to this point had been answered somewhere on the site. That being said, I purchased my rifle, a Windham HBC, a little over 6 months ago. It was a Christmas gift to myself and something I have wanted to buy since separating from the Air Force(Close to 8 years ago). I also picked up the XTR/Fastfire3 combo SWFA had on here a few months back. So, why haven't I posted yet you ask? Well, I figured I needed to get some rounds downrange and I wanted to just soak in as much info as possible beforehand.  I go to school full time (Bachelors in Business Management) and work full time, both of which are priorities for me, so getting range time in took a backseat. Today I started my vacation and made it my top priority to get to the range. I was able to get 100 rounds down before leaving for class. Thanks again for the vast wealth of knowledge and I hope to be posting more in the near future. In the meantime, I have included a few pictures of my rifle with the obligatory foot. Sorry, no wife pictures, she won't come near me when I have the rifle. Better pics to come when I reclaim my SLR from my brother. For now only cell pics.

Got a lot of work to do on my breathing and trigger control, but i'll get there.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 12:33:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rickalm2000:
Hello! I just thought I would introduce myself. My name is Rick and I have been following this site for a few months now. I'd like to start out by saying thank you to everyone for posting such valuable information. It has helped me through many decisions as well as through some usage questions. Almost everything I needed to know up to this point had been answered somewhere on the site. That being said, I purchased my rifle, a Windham HBC, a little over 6 months ago. It was a Christmas gift to myself and something I have wanted to buy since separating from the Air Force(Close to 8 years ago). I also picked up the XTR/Fastfire3 combo SWFA had on here a few months back. So, why haven't I posted yet you ask? Well, I figured I needed to get some rounds downrange and I wanted to just soak in as much info as possible beforehand.  I go to school full time (Bachelors in Business Management) and work full time, both of which are priorities for me, so getting range time in took a backseat. Today I started my vacation and made it my top priority to get to the range. I was able to get 100 rounds down before leaving for class. Thanks again for the vast wealth of knowledge and I hope to be posting more in the near future. In the meantime, I have included a few pictures of my rifle with the obligatory foot. Sorry, no wife pictures, she won't come near me when I have the rifle. Better pics to come when I reclaim my SLR from my brother. For now only cell pics.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/xtiguy/20140623_160216.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/xtiguy/20140623_160229.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/xtiguy/20140623_152832.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/xtiguy/20140623_152858.jpg

Got a lot of work to do on my breathing and trigger control, but i'll get there.
View Quote

Nice rifle and welcome aboard!
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 7:20:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Finally god a proper Ar15 for myself, so a short introduction.

My name is Matt and I'm from Rotterdam (The Netherlands), 32 years old and a gunnut in the making. (I work in roadconstruction, which is still booming thank god)
All you guys thanks for posting so much on this forum, I've gotten a lot of good info from here which made me make several decisions.

I finally picked up my first proper AR15 today and had several items already waiting for the rifle to be mounted on it.
It's build by a local gunsmith which is regarded by many here to be the best in the country.

16" barrel
Custom multical lower
DPMS upper
Magpul CTR stock
Magpul MOE+ grip
Trijicon Accupoint TR24 (optisan ear mount)
Burris FF3 red-dot
Samson Evolution (purchased from Doublestar, so it has it's small dragon logo on it)
Lantac Dragon comp

Can't wait to try the whole package out, but I think I'll like it a lot.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:18:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Bump.

This will work unless this is pinned.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Hey, My name's Josh. I just signed up for AR15.com a few days ago. I'm building an AR 15 for the first time, along with one of my co-workers who's building one of his own and thought this site would be a great source of information for me to use.

I'm building my AR mostly from Palmetto State Armory parts including blemished upper and lower, 16" barrel, and the PSA BCG. I plan on shopping around for the rest of my parts wherever I can get the best deal. Right now I'm looking at a relatively low cost build at a budget of $700, which includes magpul sights and furniture.

I do need to be pointed in the right direction to find some info on optics. I really think I need more information on what's available before I make a decision in that category.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:54:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:21:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4dzc] [#22]
Hello, I'm Lawrence. Joined to learn  more about the AR15. I would like to build my own, but this will require a lot more reading and research. I do know that I want the rifle variant, the longer barrel, and a free float  handguard. I'm in no rush as I recently bought a Remmington 870 tactical 12ga factory 7 shot that I'm already changing out stuff on. :) Still my next purchase will be bits and parts for a nice AR build. Thanks for reading.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Hi all!

New member from Arizona and I just registered, although I have been viewing for a while.  I've recently decided to build my first rifle.  Quentin Defense is very close to my home so I am going to run their billet upper and lower and as for now, I also have their handguard in my sights.    It will not be an economy build specifically, but I will be focusing on a reasonable total investment with some nice mid level equipment.  I am expecting about a 3 month build time, that gives me a decent amount of time for research, and spread the cost out a little...  Also, my 50th birthday is in October and my girls can help me finish it off.  

I do have one area of my build that I am spending some extra time on.  I am right handed but strongly left eye dominant...  The local experts are recommending a red dot which would allow me to shoot with both eyes open.  I'm open to and looking for all suggestions.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 12:45:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wplunkett2011] [#24]
Hello,
I've just made the plunge this year to build an AR15.  Stared early, and every month bought a different piece.  Took about 3 or so hours to build my first AR15!  Parts are:
LRB Lower (I also have an M1A and like LRB)
PSA MOE LPK - I thought this was a good deal as PSA advertised the parts as mil spec.  However, after doing more research PSA's definition of mil spec is a little misleading.
I ended up buying a ST-T2 Buffer, and will probably replace the tube with an actual Mil-Spec Tube.
MOE Carbine hand guard
BCM SOCOM Carbine Upper assembly with 14.5" barrel & pinned FH
BCM Auto BCG & Charging Handle

I got everything online, Total spent excl shipping & transfer fee: $830

My wife game me the Vortex Red Dot for our anniversary!  I had a great time sighting in at the range with Georgia Arms 55 grain FMJ. I downloaded the 50 yard targets from AR15.com, see below photos!

I also really like how easy to maintain the AR is, very easy.  Next is a sling, more shooting and a light!
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#26]
New here.  Just got my first AR last week, and took it out for the first time today.  totally hooked, and looking at reloading supplies for 223, since I already load for my 308.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:32:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I've been lurking on here for almost a year and just recently joined. This site helped me build my spikes tactical lower with dpms upper. Thanks to everyone!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Hi been lurking this site for a while, I joined so I could use the search function and find answers to questions I am sure have been asked.
I have tried numerous searches simple phrases, "head Space" "polygon rifling" etc, with 0 results every time.
What am I doing wrong? Whole ar15.com forum, diy section, basic section, 30days,  24 hours, always 0 results

Thanks Wes
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:59:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut] [#29]
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the reply, I will try the google option.
    The pinned topics have been a great help building #2 now. going to build my own upper this time,bought a complete upper for my 1st build.
Just ordered a Rainer Arms Select ,16" mid barrel, I am going to try and get them to head space a bolt
added to order. If not I will do it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Hello ARFCOM. I'm a So Cal AR newbie and I am in full black rifle fever. Not new to firearms, just the AR platform. I must say I am loving it.

This afternoon the brown truck dropped off 95% of my first AR15 assembly. I chose the SAA 16" 1:9 carbine kit, complete with Pmag (gag me CA compliant 10 rnd) and case. I mated it to a Polymer80 Tactical G150 lower that I finished. I am very pleased with the fit of the upper to the lower. There is zero slop.

What I am not pleased with is the DPMS lower kit that came with it. I have completed another lower and fit it with a CMMG kit, and of the two kits I way prefer the CMMG. To be specific the trigger is much crisper, lighter and less like a mil-spec gravel trigger than the DPMS. Another difference I noted was many of the detent pins, as well as the pin/plunger for the recoil tube were tight in the holes, requiring a little more time fitting. Also the recoil tube notch needed a little filing for the pin to lock into place just right. The CMMG kit was a breeze compared to the DPMS. The tight holes could have been a P80 receiver issue though. Not any real problems, but if you are not a handy, fit it yourself type of person you will have a bad day. Then again who buys all the parts separately and honestly thinks there will be zero issues putting it together?

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:49:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Anyhow, over all I am happy. It will make a good zombie stopper. I put 30 rounds through it (x10 PMC 55gr and x20 LC 5.56) after putting a spare SightMark 3-9x40 scope on it temporarily. I still need to buy sights for it. Going to go with your basic red/green dot and BUIS on this first AR. Will be checking accuracy while I have the 3-9 scope on it. As you can see I went with a MIAD grip. Mainly for the swell inserts because I have big hands and it positions my trigger finger better. It performed flawlessly today....I'm pretty jazzed.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:40:25 AM EDT
[#34]
hello arfcommers...

this may not be my first post as i've posted already in BIY forum but i just wanted to check in here as a newb before making more posts...after a few months of lurking, i finally started my own build...i'm new to the platform and it's my first ar, first build and definitely not the last...i'll be posting my build pretty soon as i'm about 99% done but i have to test fire it first before showing it to everyone..
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:50:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:51:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:44:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pxlpshrs] [#37]
Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks to all the info learned on the board and youtube, I'm almost finished with my first custom build. It's kind of a hot mess of different parts but I'm extremely proud of it as think it turned out pretty damn sexy. I just have to get the flash hider pinned and I can finally take it to the range. Here's what I used:

Upper:
Cross hill ambi side charger w/nib bcg, 14.5" 1:7 BCM barrel, BCM lo-pro gas block w/BCM black gas tube, Noveske kx5 flash hider
Midwest industries 15" SS Gen 2 hand guard , Magpul AFG2  & Magpul front and rear BUIS

Lower:
Spikes no-logo stripped lower, WOA LPK w/ ALG ACT trigger,Troy, trigger guard, Magpul MOE+ grip & Magpul CTR stock.

Looking forward to building up another one (maybe an AR pistol) with a spare stripped lower I bought.

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag467/pxlpshrs/6913F6A9-356E-4D31-A9C4-7C0D18A0C939_zps8wjzl08w.jpg

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag467/pxlpshrs/6A23BBAF-0DCE-4150-86CA-D10A77AC904D_zpsly8faoj5.jpg

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 12:06:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Hey guys, what's up. I'm new to the forum and rifles in general, so I'm looking forward to the whole experience. I'm in the process of building my first ar15 (never even shot one before) I've got some experience with long guns growing up but no ar type rifles so needless to say I'm pretty freakin excited . I'm waiting to pick up my spikes lower in a week (I'm in Cali so 10 days :/ ) I also have spikes lpk in the mail along with some megs and some vise blocks so far. I'm also going milspec with the whole gun, any advice is appreciated and here is my brake down for what I have and what I'm planning

have already:

spikes honey badger lower

Spikes basic lpk

Magpul mags ( Cali 10 round )

Basic m4 stock

What I'm planning:

16 in ,1:7 twist barrel , chrome lined and hopefully hammer forged

Either a Yankee hill upper or maybe bum or spikes

Some type of optics with some type of back up sights, possibly 45° sights

Bolt and carrier , thinking about nickel borrum ( not sure on spelling)

Still haven't decided on handgaurds

Still haven't decided on a buffer kit either yet

and I'm sure I've left something out but I'm glad to be here and looking forward to learning some new awesome stuff

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:54:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Hi I'm new to this site and forums in general. I'm just trying to figure out how to post! But all I can find is "reply." I must be missing something obvious....
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks! I was just trying to figure out how to post in this thread. It looks like reply works. :)

So to introduce myself... Hey yall! I've come here for advice on building an AR15. I'm a left handed petite woman and want a lightweight carbine that's built to last. But I dont want to spend too much. I've started reading through the AR15 Complete Owner's Guide by Kuleck, which is extremely helpful and I highly recommend the updated version. I am looking forward to learning some good stuff from folks on here!

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#44]
First, I appreciate the time many of you have taken posting information regarding the various AR platforms.  I purchased my first Colt LE6940P this week with a Aimpoint Pro.  GT distributors is running a sale on the LE6940P that I simply didn't want to pass up.

I do have experience with the AR and will be changing the trigger immediately.  Haven't fired it yet but I know this will be my first change.

Thanks for the insight and I will read more and often.

Rangers Lead the Way!
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 6:29:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Hey all, new to the site. Recently decided to order a 80% lower and a PSA rifle kit. Really looking forward to it being here. Thought that was going to be it but was in the local sporting goods place picking up a night stand safe (the 10 month old is getting into everything so figured its about time) and noticed a M&P 15 sport. Well it came home with me. Now Ill have a project and something to shoot while I work on that one. First AR type firearms.

Other goodies Ive had for a while, Remington 700 sps varmint, M&P 40, Taurus PT145 pro (carry gun), Colt police special 38. Wife has a Buckmark 22 (nice gun), LCR .357, and an older ruger 38 snubby.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#47]
aNother new guy from VA. Former Marine, competitive shooter and worked in the gun business all the way through college.  Just acquired a new Barnes Precision Machine Patrol Rifle and am learning the big differences from carbine to mid length.  Its amazing how 1.5 inches makes a difference!  Now just saving up for a few accessories and been following along the threads here to see what works and what doesn't.  Thanks.
Semper Fi
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Hello All,

My name is Steve and I live in CT. Been in the army for 5 years now, 3 active and 2 in Guard. I'm also currently in the hiring process for law enforcement with both State and Local departments. Don't own any firearms yet, but am currently pricing out my first AR build. The goal is to be a semi-budgeted build using decent quality parts purchased at good sale prices. The intentions are for this rifle to be a weekend range warrior/fun gun as well as personal/home defence. I'm also looking at picking up a good ole WASR 10/63 in the near future as well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Hello,

An old hand at the M16/AR15 .... but it has been a while since doing any building.
Last time was back in 1980's or so and it seems that things are not the same as back then.
Firearm has not changed much .... but damn the laws and ATF regulations are not what they used to be.

Most of my time here has been updating myself on all the rules, regs, and laws.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 17
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top