BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 17
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 5:08:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brettucks] [#1]
Hello,
      Just recently bought my first AR, a practically new DPMS and took it to range the other day- had some probs with elevation- was shooting really high and ran out of adjustment. I figured out I had a low gas block so ordered correct one. Rifle shot perfectly- no hiccups regardless of magazine or make of rounds. Ive had SKS's for years and was impressed with the AR in everyway. (to clarify the low gas block is staying- I ordered different sight meant for low gas block)

Quick question- I figured out how to fix my problem so I decided to cancel order from 'online company'. 'online company' did something I did not expect by letting me keep order anyway- Am I allowed to give a customer review (or a good story anyway) and if so where should I do that?

Also my fix is pretty basic and Im not sure if you like 'self-engineered' fixes, so Im reluctant to post or describe without it being ok to do so.

Thanks for any input...
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Hello all new here to the forum, not new to guns.  I am an avid pistol owner. My wife and I are in 7 total leagues collectively.  I am 30 and live in MN.  I am excited to finally find a place to discuss everything firearm.  Glad I found this spot.  I am trying to figure out how to post pics.  Once I do, I will put a few up of some of my toys.  I own 14 handguns. 1 30-06, 2 shotguns and 1 AR-15.  Hopefully soon I will be getting my second.

I look forward to learning a lot and hopefully I can help others as well
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Good morning! Been on the site since January reading and learning. I've been around guns since my dad let me shoot my grandpa's old double barrel 12 ga. when I was 7. One of my best memories! I'll be building my first AR and purchased a Spike's stripped lower and Aero stripped upper from my LGS this week. Excited to get the build going and looking forward to learning more!
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 1:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Hi my name's Aaron. I'm currently active duty and planning on my buying my first AR when I get home. I'm looking at the Armalite Defender or the defensive sporting rifle. Any thoughts on it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 1:23:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nuenke89] [#5]
Hey ya'll! My name is Will from Colorado. I am new to AR15.com, was recommended by another member to sign up in order to gain more basic knowledge on my first AR15 build and for possibilities for purchasing parts. Started my build from a Spikes stripped lower.
I am purchasing a nice free float hand guard rail from my friend, but looking for a new barrel and upper receiver that are decently priced.

The rail is a Seekens Precision BAR rail, approx 10'. Looking at the mid length 5.56 16 inch melanite barrel (found in a forum on here) made by KAK.

I previously moved here from Nebraska and I'm into upland bird hunting with my O/U Franchi Instinct L. I own a 9mm Glock 19 and am getting my CCW in a month. Hope to purchase a semi auto shotgun for waterfowl and duck hunting, eventually.

Read the blog post how to post a picture, hope I did it right. If not, I'd appreciate someone telling me the link doesn't work. Thanks!

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Desert Storm Vet, living in Central Oklahoma. Have a S&W MP15 Sport II coming in October. Figured I would get caught up on all that's new and interesting in the AR 15 world, and this would be the best place to do it. Anyone have advise or thoughts of improvements to the MP15 Sport II, I'd appreciate it. Cya Down Range! 703d MSB, 3rd ID, Wertheim Germany, 1992.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#7]
New here. Live in northern Oklahoma. Building my first AR15. I own handguns, shotguns, and bolt action rifles. But have had the urge to build my own Ar15 and now I am!.

Love this sight for pics and info on builds. Helping me find parts I want to use.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Hello everybody, Dave here. I'm new to owning an AR but have shot a lot of them between work and friends having them. I've been doing a lot of looking around and reading on here since purchasing my new AR. I've always been an AK guy but have always wanted an AR to go along with since they're both great rifles. I bought a radical firearms FTR-15 from AIM surplus a few weeks ago when they had them on sale. I saw the torture test that Robski was doing on one on AK Operators union youtube channel and it REALLY impressed me with how well it was holding up. Even though it "failed" at a little over 4k rounds I was still very impressed since all that went wrong was a $5 cam pin broke. It actually impressed him enough that he's fixing it along with doing some other mods to it and is going to keep on shooting it. For the money it seems like a very nice rifle. It came with a free floated 15" keymod rail, mil spec upper and lower (forged), M16 BCG and the barrel and BCG are melonite coated.

When I got it home the first thing I did was tear it down and clean and lube it. While tearing it down I was happy to see that the upper and lower have such a tight fit that you have to give the buttstock a little bump to separate the halves. It didn't come with any form of sights so I had to wait a few days for my magpul MBUS pro's to come in along with my first batch of ammo and mags. Once that came in I took it out to sight in the iron sights and test it out. I was very impressed with the accuracy and it ran flawless. Granted I was using good brass cased PMC xtac 55gr rounds fed through magpul 2nd gens. I just received my case of wolf polyformance 62gr fmj's the other day so I'm gonna take that out and run it through it. I don't really see any problems coming up because I have several friends that feed their AR's wolf steel case at the range and they run fine.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:19:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry I had to break this up in to a two parter because new accounts are limited to 2000 characters.

As I'm one who loves to tinker with anything I own from cars to guns I couldn't leave the rifle alone for long. LOL The rifle came with a nice ergo grip but it had too much cant to hold comfortably in a squared off isosceles stance so I got a BCM gunfighter pistol grip for it. While I was at it I couldn't stand the way the basic M4 style stock wobbled so much so I got a mission first tactical bare minimalist buttstock in foliage green (the color scheme I decided to go with). I also got the BCM short vert grip and keymod rail covers. I was gonna go with the Vortex sparc AR but decided I wanted a magnified optic (I'm getting older and my eyes don't see smaller things at 100+ yards as good as they once did) so I ordered a Vortex strike eagle 1-6 for it. I mounted it in an aero precision lightweight SPR mount which eventually I'll swap out for a QD mount (they're VERY pricey). For a sling I went with a "way of the gun" proctor sling because I really liked the simplicity of it and how extremely light it is. I also like that it just connects with loops of 550 cord at each end so need for fancy QD swivels or anything. After searching around and finding some pretty decent deals I've managed to acquire 25 magpul 2nd gens already. I find it mind boggling that now days AR mags are cheaper and easier to find than AK mags! LOL I plan on buying many more as money allows though in case the election goes the wrong way. I know mags and ammo will be the very first thing they go after just like in 1994. And I'm not gonna be stuck with a handful of mags or paying $75+++ for a mag.

Anyway, here's some pictures of my new baby. I threw in a pic of it with my AK too before I had the buttstock and strike eagle on it.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:22:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PAJKRubicon] [#10]
Untitled by pajkrubi, on Flickr

The day I got it. With my spyderco yojimbo 2. LOVE that knife!

I don't know why the pictures don't show up?? It's just links for them. When I hit "preview" it shows the pictures, but when I hit submit it changes them to links? Am I doing something wrong?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:29:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PAJKRubicon] [#11]
More pictures.

I got the Vortex throw lever also. VERY nice! Especially since the adjustment ring is pretty stiff on this scope. Oh and I flipped it around since taking the picture. Not that it affects it in anyway it just bothered my OCD with the writing being upside down. LOL

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Hello from E. Texas.  I am not new to guns but don't have a lot of experience with them either.  I don't know how old I was when I got my BB gun but in 1957 I was 10 years old and got a Benjamin 22 cal air rifle for Christmas.  I bought my first rifle, a Marlin 30-30 around 1985, then a few pistols, but until a couple of weeks ago that Marlin was the only rifle I owned.  I never really cared for the AR platform but got the itch to do some shooting and about 2 weeks ago I bought a Ruger AR 556.  I have been to the range once and after about 50 rounds determined I need a LOT of practice.  I wanted to learn about ARs, started looking for a forum, found this one, and I believe I have found the place that can teach me pretty much all I need to know about an AR15.  I usually do a lot of research before I buy something but this time I didn't.  I just found a Ruger in stock at the LGS, and on sale, so I bought it.  Now after a very short time on this forum I am feeling the need to build an upper with a little larger caliber just in case I decide to go hog hunting.  I am looking forward to learning from all you folks on the forum.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#14]
ok, trying to see if this picture thing works.... http://20160423_170727.jpg
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Anyone willing to shoot me a PM or email and tell me how to post pics? I can't figure it out
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AR-MuskyFever:
Anyone willing to shoot me a PM or email and tell me how to post pics? I can't figure it out
View Quote

I was told by another member that until you reach a certain post count your pictures just show up as a link until a moderator approves them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:13:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Welcome Ken.  Did you say a 1000 lumen weapon light?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:17:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By PAJKRubicon:

I was told by another member that until you reach a certain post count your pictures just show up as a link until a moderator approves them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_168/638569_Picture_posting_tutorial_and_PICTURE_test_thread.html
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_168/638569_Picture_posting_tutorial_and_PICTURE_test_thread.html

Thank you for the info!
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 8:02:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeffreybehr] [#20]
ANOTHER newbee to AR15s; have had various firearms and been reloading for over 50 years.  Just ordered a DelTon AR Sport Ar15.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/del-ton-sport-ar-15-semi-automatic-556-nato-dtsport-848456000089-16-barrel?i=644584&p=WX2

...and some ammo
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/1000rds-223-tula-62gr-hollow-point-ammo

and a case.  Have had an Aero Survival Rifle carbine...
http://www.tnwfirearms.com/product-p/asrx-cplt-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx.htm

in 45 Auto and 10mm Auto but probably will give it to my daughter and SIL.

We'll see how the AR15 and I get along.  All will be here next week.  Pictures next week.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 10:57:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey Guys,

Brand new to the AR scene here. Been shooting guns for over 10 but almost solely shotguns with a few rifle and bow deer hunts tossed in there. Im looking to build my first AR from 0% to learn the system in and outs and get a better understanding of the platform. I have been lurking for about 2 weeks absorbing as much information as i can from the various threads (which have been amazingly helpful). I am looking to build a floating 16" mid length .223/5.56. I plan on purchasing the parts periodically as they come on sale (Budget 1200) and am really looking forward to the challenge.

I did have two quick questions i didn't see answered though. What is the point of purchasing a 14.5" barrel if you have to make it into a 16" by law. Is it just to minimize the protrusion of a flash hider/muzzle brake past 16"? Also it seems everywhere i look for parts they are sold out of what i was looking for haha is this typical or am I doing something wrong.....

Thank you for the input, and i look forward to learning more
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 12:51:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Beersnbeaches:  I did have two quick questions i didn't see answered though. What is the point of purchasing a 14.5" barrel if you have to make it into a 16" by law. Is it just to minimize the protrusion of a flash hider/muzzle brake past 16"? Also it seems everywhere i look for parts they are sold out of what i was looking for haha is this typical or am I doing something wrong.....

Thank you for the input, and i look forward to learning more
View Quote

The point of a 14.5 or 14.7" bbl is to have a military looking bbl (The M4 w/ flash hider hits 15.8" or so), w/ the added advantage is your bayonet will mount properly for stabbing the piggies when they charge.  With an extended flash hider pinned & welded or silver soldered, a 14.5" bbl meets the legal minimum of 16".  A 14.7" will do so w/ a standard flash hider.  You can't just screw it on - it has to be pinned & welded, or silver soldered to be NFA legal.

A 16" bbl can use the mid-gas gas block location, which gives greater dwell time to the bolt before extraction begins and results in a slightly softer shooting rifle.  Mid-gas is also the correct location to mount a bayonet on a 16" bbl.

Everyone being sold out of parts is normal for an election year.  Welcome to the party...
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:28:35 PM EDT
[#24]
First post and first AR. PSA stainless Freedom upper and enhanced lower. Parts added are mostly things already had except for MOE handguard and MBUS rear sight. Haven't actually fired one since early 70's in the military. Plan to laser  boresight it tomorrow and head to the range next week.

http://s480.photobucket.com/user/csacpt/media/20161006_184421_zpscqn1w1ve.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 10:19:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By sgthwjack:  First post and first AR. PSA stainless Freedom upper and enhanced lower. Parts added are mostly things already had except for MOE handguard and MBUS rear sight. Haven't actually fired one since early 70's in the military. Plan to laser  boresight it tomorrow and head to the range next week.

http://s480.photobucket.com/user/csacpt/media/20161006_184421_zpscqn1w1ve.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
View Quote

Welcome to ARFCOM.  Got any Legos?

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Clarification re: "Legos"
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:21:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By sgthwjack:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sgthwjack:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Welcome to ARFCOM.  Got any Legos?

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:55:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jared7976] [#28]
Hello everyone!  New to the forum, do not own an AR....YET......but planning on buying one.  I've been trying to do some research about them to figure out what I should buy, as I know nothing about them.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!   I own and have owned several other firearms over the years, so I'm not new to guns.  What I'm looking for is extreme accuracy and distance.  So far, I'm thinking I need to get something with a stainless barrel, free floating, long picatinny rail for mounting a scope and night vision.  I want to start out with a 5.56/223.  I've been reloading for over 10 years and plan to reload for this rifle, too.  And, of course, I don't want to spend any money. LOL
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:07:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jared7976] [#29]
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By jared7976:
Hello everyone!  New to the forum, do not own an AR....YET......but planning on buying one.  I've been trying to do some research about them to figure out what I should buy, as I know nothing about them.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!   I own and have owned several other firearms over the years, so I'm not new to guns.  What I'm looking for is extreme accuracy and distance.  So far, I'm thinking I need to get something with a stainless barrel, free floating, long picatinny rail for mounting a scope and night vision.  I want to start out with a 5.56/223.  I've been reloading for over 10 years and plan to reload for this rifle, too.  And, of course, I don't want to spend any money. LOL
View Quote

Night vision & distance don't go hand in hand.  What are you hunting @ night, how far, and from what position?  Stalking, stand, etc.

If you reload, 6.5mm Grendel would be a good choice for distance.  5.56x45mm has some distance limitations.  How far do you intend to shoot?

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm aware of the night vision/distance.  At night, I'm only shooting a maximum of 200 yards, but more often then not, less than 100 yards.  I've gotta keep the coyotes away from my pasture and chicken coops.  All distance target shooting will be done during the day. I want to get something in either 5.56 or 223 Wylde, for low recoil plinking.  I'm really liking the AERO PRECISION AR15 M4E1 Complete Rifle, 16" .223 Wylde.  I just wish they sold that one as a complete rifle, with the 20" barrel.

Does anyone here have any experience with these?
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 12:30:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By jared7976:  I'm aware of the night vision/distance.  At night, I'm only shooting a maximum of 200 yards, but more often then not, less than 100 yards.  I've gotta keep the coyotes away from my pasture and chicken coops.  All distance target shooting will be done during the day. I want to get something in either 5.56 or 223 Wylde, for low recoil plinking.  I'm really liking the AERO PRECISION AR15 M4E1 Complete Rifle, 16" .223 Wylde.  I just wish they sold that one as a complete rifle, with the 20" barrel.

Does anyone here have any experience with these?
View Quote

These guys are all about 20" bbls:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/127_A2_Builds.html  You're probably going to want to build something like a M16A4, however, in order to get your optics on top.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:33:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Well I have lurked for a long time, bought some lowers that sat for couple years, then finally got around to assembling my first one about a year ago.  I have basically been assembling as many as I could afford to over the last year out of the what if they ban them mindset lol.  Between that and moving and fixing up the new house I finally am able to focus on getting my presses mounted so I can start making some food for them.  Still need to finish some off with buis, and a couple more optics but it's been a blast so far.  I need one more to round things out and then I will be good for now.  Tons of great information on this site, and people like me greatly appreciate it!
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#34]
New guy from North Texas here! I've been lurking for a couple of years and figured I should sign up before I get called a '17er!
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 12:18:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Welcome.  Lots of us in N Texas.  Come to the Night Krewe.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 8:59:19 AM EDT
[#36]
How y'all doin. New to the sight and just wanted some opinions from the guys that know there stuff. Very interested in getting into 3 gun competitions. Just got my first ar-15 platform. Armalite egale chambered in .223 "wylde" think that's the correct spelling. Optic on that is a Burris AR-332 fixed x3 power. "Will be changing that after doing more research on 3 gun comps. Will be running a 1-6 power variable scope with a separate red dot mounted at a 45 degree angle."  My side arm is a s&w
M&p shield 9mm. Please give me yalls  opinion. Let me know what is a good setup. Still need a shotgun setup. The only other gun I got is a savage axis chambered in .308 WIN. Has the accutrigger and heavy barrel. Shitty scope on that.  Anyways please let me know your ideas on 3 gun setups
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:09:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Sounds like a nice rig.  Might ask your 3 Gun questions over here:

http://3gn.ar15.com/forums/b/13_3_Gun_Nation.html
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the link brother.
I'd post pictures if I knew how
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 4:05:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Masochist77] [#39]
Hello,

Just bought my first AR15 -  DPMS Oracle in 5.56 nato.

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Tayabe4422:  Thanks for the link brother.
I'd post pictures if I knew how
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Masochist77:  Hello,

Just bought my first AR15 - http://s1248.photobucket.com/user/Dave_Land/media/AR15_zps0cm0sszc.jpg.html  DPMS Oracle in 5.56 nato.
View Quote

Welcome to ARFCOM.  What optic is that?  Got any Legos?
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:32:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Hello there... Eric here.
I have been lurking here for a few weeks.
I have been shopping for an AR or 3 for the last few months.
When my woman showed me the meme of "September is buy your husband a gun month" I thought she was just joking.
When I showed her the "October is buy your wife a gun month" meme, she said "COOL!!"
I asked if she wanted an AR, and she said "HELL YES!!"
I snagged a S&W sporter today for $530 including fee and a case (pink camo)
She said I can shoot it sometime...

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 2:23:12 AM EDT
[#43]
S&W is making a nice AR.  That's a great price on one.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 2:42:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks! I had intended to wait a bit longer, but I could not pass it up.
BTW, the Lego buttstock is hilarious!! I knew ARs were modular, but that is over the top!!
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 2:47:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By HeavilyArmedHippie:  Thanks! I had intended to wait a bit longer, but I could not pass it up.
BTW, the Lego buttstock is hilarious!! I knew ARs were modular, but that is over the top!!
View Quote

Thank you.  I was really bored in Kuwait.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 1:22:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Newb post. . .

Just trying to learn and educate myself on Ar's...
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 1:48:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Been collecting Legos for years... mostly star wars things that go pew pew...
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#49]
I started to build a new rifle and so far I have an anderson lower, a DPMS lower parts kit and a Spikes tactical buffer tube assembly. Its coming together pretty nicely so far but as I'm looking for an upper I'm trying to decide if it would be better to buy a complete upper assembly or to buy a stripped upper and buy the rest of the parts. I'm looking at what would be the most cost efficient route as far as the total price and quality of the product. Any suggestions or advice?
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 10:55:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Buying an assembled upper saves you the price of the action wrench @ the least, and also nets you a hopefully properly headspaced bolt.  @ the very least it gets you a warranty on a significant AR assembly.
Page / 17
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top