Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 17
Posted: 2/5/2014 6:54:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut]
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 9:57:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi

Recently decided i wanted to take a crack at building my own rifle after using one for a few years in the Marines. Im pretty sure i went the most complicate route because i am gonna be making mine from 80% complete lowers (one polymer and one aluminum). Got all the lower stuff needed...slowly working on the upper stuff. Looking forward to learning all i can from these forums and eventually showing off my rifles here. Im sure i will end up asking questions that have been asked a million times over but there are no dumb questions right? ^.^
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 11:29:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 12:26:56 AM EDT
[#3]
So, to start off my name is Monte from Texas!! I just recently started getting the pieces together for my first AR-15 build. I'm going with the 80% completed lower and a M4 nitride upper from JSE. The friend who is helping me along has built several AR's told me I should come here and research before we get together to build this. I'm sorry but I've only found a bunch of threads with specific questions. And they really aren't about what I'm getting into. So, my question is where is a place I can find a how to area?? Sorry, if I seem uneducated in this area. I've never built one but I am very familiar with platform. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 12:29:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mturnmm:
So, to start off my name is Monte from Texas!! I just recently started getting the pieces together for my first AR-15 build. I'm going with the 80% completed lower and a M4 nitride upper from JSE. The friend who is helping me along has built several AR's told me I should come here and research before we get together to build this. I'm sorry but I've only found a bunch of threads with specific questions. And they really aren't about what I'm getting into. So, my question is where is a place I can find a how to area?? Sorry, if I seem uneducated in this area. I've never built one but I am very familiar with platform. Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Im glad you posted in this thread.  I think VA was getting lonely in there by himself.  

We have an entire section for building rifles up yourself it is found right here

If you come up with more questions about basic AR stuff you go ahead and post it in here if you don't know and someone will get you pointed in a somewhat suitable direction.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Hi. My name is Tweeder79 and I'm a gun-oholic. Ive been clean now for 2 days. Haven't had a range trip for 2 days and I'm starting to feel the pressure. I still remember my first fix. It was a smooth black sexy rifle. If anyone here would like to be my sponsor I'd be appreciative.

In all seriousness I've posted a little and been here a couple years but never introduced myself.  Love the site and am glad to have the brotherhood of the members here. So I guess here is my long overdue hello. I look forward to the future of the site and all the laughs, wisdom, tears it brings with it.  

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:06:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I FINALLY joined the site after lurking for what 8 years I think.  I wanted to join during the 2013 rush but though I should wait until 2014 to avoid having rocks thrown at me.
Anyways,here is my first AR15. It is a mixmaster special with a Spikes lower,Bushmaster A2 upper,the barrel assembly,stock,etc.is from M&A parts. I can't remember the name of the BCG right now.  I have around 4-500 rounds through it so far and it runs great. I tried my first camo paint job on this as well. I am not entirely pleased,and I may go over it with some mesh and  another color. It has a Surefire mounted up front with a tape switch. I still need some optics to complete it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:14:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: America] [#7]
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:45:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks!  I can't believe I waited this late in life to own one, as I have always just had AK rifles. I love shooting it and now prefer it to my other stuff. The controls to me are just so much better ya know. Everything is where it should be. I even love the "sproing" of the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 12:25:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I did not even see this thread, sorry about posting another new guy thread. Sorry :), Anywho Im new, just got my first ar  and hope to learn as much as I can.

Link Posted: 2/17/2014 5:03:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ElmoZ71SS] [#10]
Drat,....I posted a newb intro thread too......didn't see this one til too late. (Hold's up riot shield to avoid rocks)

But since I'm here here's the pics of the new build

Link Posted: 2/20/2014 10:07:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Hi all,
Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been a lurking here for a long time. I've been addicted to AR's since I was 5 years old. My dad didn't start me out on an air rifle or .22 like most kids. He taught me how to shoot  with his Colt SP-1. It ruined me! I have never been able to enjoy any other types of firearms than semiauto or full autos. I worked and saved through high school just to buy guns. I have since sold or traded most everything from that time. I was able to save enough by my 21st birthday to purchase a NFA registered Colt AR-15 model 601 and a NFA registered Springfield Armory M1A. I still have those two. I also have a few M4's, FAL's, and a Galil. I'm just a gun guy. I really enjoy the multitude of info here. Thanks to all who have put so much effort into these forums.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice to see a fellow Virginian!! Thanks for the warm welcome.

Link Posted: 2/21/2014 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 9:54:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stainless530] [#16]
Hi! I'm from central NC, and new to the forum, haven't (yet) purchased my first AR, but I'm working' on it. Looking forward to reading and learning so as to make an informed decision before purchasing. Lot's of valuable info here.

PS Name's Jeff, BTW.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 5:27:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shigi703] [#18]
Why thank you for the compliment :), thanks for the site info, more things I can do on my computer behind my boss's back lol.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#19]

New from NE Oklahoma. Just bought my 1st AR15 a DPMS. Mainly bought for smacking coyotes off of my deer hunting ground but after shooting it I love my AR! Looking forward to learning more about the AR platform and building my own!
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 4:30:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By KNDAKGEAR:
I FINALLY joined the site after lurking for what 8 years I think.  I wanted to join during the 2013 rush but though I should wait until 2014 to avoid having rocks thrown at me.
Anyways,here is my first AR15. It is a mixmaster special with a Spikes lower,Bushmaster A2 upper,the barrel assembly,stock,etc.is from M&A parts. I can't remember the name of the BCG right now.  I have around 4-500 rounds through it so far and it runs great. I tried my first camo paint job on this as well. I am not entirely pleased,and I may go over it with some mesh and  another color. It has a Surefire mounted up front with a tape switch. I still need some optics to complete it.
<a href="http://s87.photobucket.com/user/CDALY05/media/IMG_7859_zps66caaa02.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k140/CDALY05/IMG_7859_zps66caaa02.jpg</a>
View Quote

Category KISS rifle: WIN
Category oldscool:   WIN
Category D.I.Y.          WIN

I am beginning to see a pattern here, I sense the force is strong in this one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 4:53:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: geturite] [#21]
I'm Clint from Nebraska.

Link Posted: 2/23/2014 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice rifles.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 4:45:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Hello from Cincinnati Ohio!  Just bought my first AR, not new to guns but new to the AR.  It's an Anderson manufacturing rig with Magpul furniture. Bought it off a buddy. I bought a Troy Bravo battle rail for it, but don't have the tools  (or skills probably) to switch them out. Anyone within driving distance of me who is willing to help? Maybe a gunsmith in this area who can help?

" />
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 5:24:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By KNDAKGEAR:
Thanks!  I can't believe I waited this late in life to own one, as I have always just had AK rifles. I love shooting it and now prefer it to my other stuff. The controls to me are just so much better ya know. Everything is where it should be. I even love the "sproing" of the buffer tube.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2014 7:34:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Hi. Newbie from Georgia, here. I've been target shooting handguns and .22 rifles for years, but recently got bitten by the AR bug. I'm still waiting on my upper from PSA, so no pics yet. I've got an Anderson lower, most of the parts, and some tools and will hopefully be able to begin assembling everything soon. I've jumped in with both feet, but there are lots of great YouTube videos, forums like this, and my dad just built a sweet rifle a month or so ago, so I should have plenty of "help" if I need it along the way.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Another welcome from a long time member here.

Great to see new faces with new rifles.

To start off:  No, there is no known cure the black rifle disease.

And we like it that way.

There are a TON of resources here for you.

And if you have not been to GD, it's the playground of ARFCOM.

Don't take anything there to seriously.

When you enter the tech sections, it's much less playground, much more business.

There are amazing experts on this board.  Competition shooters at the highest levels, great builders, great techs.  Treat them well, and they will amaze you with a wealth of knowledge.

There are some great hometown forums to help you meet new folks, find places to shoot, posts about the latest gun shows, and even locations to shoot, or compete.

You may see some icons below folks names.  Some indicate military service (current or prior) Tanks.  Some designate certified NRA instructors. Pistol.  Some indicate Lifetime NRA members.
If you wish to get an icon, first, you must be a team member.  This can be as little at $24 for a bronze for a year, to $100 for a platinum for a year.  Each offers more perks.  But remember, this site is free to all, so it's not necessary.  This money goes back into the site to make it faster and better.

It is recommended to read the conduct code located with a red bar at the top of every page.  

And treat the mods well, they, to a man or woman, are ALL volunteers, and do their jobs out of love for this site.

Kick back, relax, and enjoy ARFCOM.

TXL
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 11:13:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Hi folks, thought I should introduce myself and put up a couple pics while I'm at it.
Im brand new to the AR scene and being from the great snowy white north they aren't quite as abundant as down for our southern neighbours.
I have a Colt Sporter Match HBAR 20" 1/9 flat top with an Elcan 3.5x scope
the rifle was purchased new by my father in law back in 1990 and was generous enough to pass it on to me to enjoy since it was becoming a bit of a shelf queen
Im looking forward to hitting the range and enjoying my new to me rifle,  I have wanted one since being a kid and well here it is.  I totally understand how the sickeness is persistent

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, looky what the UPS guy just dropped off. It's a PSA 16" CHF 1:7 M4 profile. Pretty impressed with the fit and finish of it. Just need the BCG and I think I will have everything needed to begin assembly.

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Hi my name is Sam. I bought my first AR a couple weeks ago its a Bushmaster carbon 15. Don't really know a whole lot about the AR platform but I'm happy with my purchase. I shot 90 rounds out of it 60 real fast got the barrel smoking hot then another 30 same speed my red dot was off but they all grouped in the same area.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 11:16:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Hi everyone! New AR owner here. No pics just yet but most of these guns look the same anyways. I purchased a "Special Ops Tactical"- which in a nutshell is a spinoff of Spike's.

Happy to be part of the community and looking forward to becoming a regular contributor!
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 1:16:38 AM EDT
[#39]
My first post. New guy from NW Ohio. They call me Stubbz. I enjoy long walks on the beach while holding hands and sipping on mojitos. Lol. I carry a beretta px4 storm compact 40, have an old scoped sears and roebuck 22 for squirrels, and a Mossberg 500 "tactical" for home defense. I'm in the process of building an ar15 right now. And when I say "in the process" I mean that I'm waiting on the UPS like always. I ordered all of my parts from PSA.

-PSA stripped lower
-10 Pmags (because "enough" is never enough)
-PSA M4 Premium - 16'' CMV CL Stripped Upper - Without BCG or Charging Handle(waiting on)
-PTAC 5.56 Full-Auto Bolt Carrier Group w/ Carpenter 158 Bolt(waiting on)
-DPMS Charging Handle that my buddy had laying around.
-Magpul rear sight(waiting on)
-PSA STR Lower Build Kit(waiting on)
These are just what the stuff is called on the order form. I am not sure about specifics on them. I'm pretty sure that's it right now. I haven't ordered a sight yet because I'm not sure what I want.
Although I've shot some ARs I've never owned one so I don't know much about them. A buddy of mine who has built several basically sent me links of what to buy and I didn't question it. Lol. I have everything listed and I'm at about $800 so far. I'm not sure if that's a lot based on the quality of the parts I have because I'm a n00b.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:24:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 10:31:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Love the rifle length AR, and it has the 20 rd mag beautiful set up
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for the welcome and comments on the rifle.   All I can say is since finding this forum the available info is mind blowing so thankyou!
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 12:17:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:

Every rifle has it's own flair. Plus you can customize it to look the way you want.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f276/va-gunnut/Gunsnstuff/Camo1.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:
Originally Posted By xhostilex001:
...but most of these guns look the same anyways.

Every rifle has it's own flair. Plus you can customize it to look the way you want.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f276/va-gunnut/Gunsnstuff/Camo1.jpg

haha I guess I see it from a board moderator standpoint where if I were one, I'd be sitting there thinking "god i have to see another newbs gun and think up something positive to say about it".
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 6:00:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Samheil] [#46]
Here is the post of my Bushmaster Carbon 15 finally got photobucket to work

Link Posted: 2/28/2014 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 8:29:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Samheil] [#48]
Yes I am. I was looking into the 45° iron sights I like the look. It is a cheap red dot that came with the gun so I want something more reliable.

I also like the M4 front sight on the barrel
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By TheM4chef:
Hi folks, thought I should introduce myself and put up a couple pics while I'm at it.
Im brand new to the AR scene and being from the great snowy white north they aren't quite as abundant as down for our southern neighbours.
I have a Colt Sporter Match HBAR 20" 1/9 flat top with an Elcan 3.5x scope
the rifle was purchased new by my father in law back in 1990 and was generous enough to pass it on to me to enjoy since it was becoming a bit of a shelf queen
Im looking forward to hitting the range and enjoying my new to me rifle,  I have wanted one since being a kid and well here it is.  I totally understand how the sickeness is persistent
<a href="http://s283.photobucket.com/user/salmonflytyer/media/black%20rifle/20140226_160220.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk287/salmonflytyer/black%20rifle/20140226_160220.jpg</a><a href="http://s283.photobucket.com/user/salmonflytyer/media/black%20rifle/20140226_160116.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk287/salmonflytyer/black%20rifle/20140226_160116.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice rifle! Every collection should have a 20". My first AR, which I sill have, is a Colt Match Target 6601.

Welcome to the site everyone!
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 17
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top