Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2017 5:00:13 PM EDT
Just came home with this.  It was a special deal given by the MAC for their Patreon supporters.

It definitely looks like an early blue label pre-ban.  A1 lower, no fencing around the mag release, and it's got that thick old school grey colt finish.  No sear block thankfully, but it also doesn't have the bayonet lug.  The carrier has been shaved to the half moon shape.

Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Virtual twin of my first. I put an aftermarket bayonet lug on it during the AWB just because.

Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Virtual twin of my first. I put an aftermarket bayonet lug on it during the AWB just because.

View Quote
I'm trying to do some research on it to date it.  Everything I read online says that Colt blue label guns have the smaller front takedown pin but this one is a big screw in style.  But when I look at other R6601s online, they seem to all have this large front pin.  The serial number seems pretty low.  I'll call Colt with it next week to see if they know if nobody has any ideas.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Look for the barrel mfg date under the handguards near the FSB..
Or try the online database on Colts website, just put in the SN and they will tell you the exact model number and year of mfg.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Look for the barrel mfg date under the handguards near the FSB..
Or try the online database on Colts website, just put in the SN and they will tell you the exact model number and year of mfg.
View Quote
There's no date stamp on the barrel and the website did not have any data for the serial number.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Ouch

Anyway due to the lack of bayo lug I'd say it a R6601

Biggerhammer.net has some nice info that could help you dating the rifle
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ouch

Anyway due to the lack of bayo lug I'd say it a R6601

Biggerhammer.net has some nice info that could help you dating the rifle
View Quote
I went through multiple pages there and only wound up more confused.  It seems like Colt didn't go by any strict rules during that time period.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I had that same rifle but as a green label which had the bayonet lug.

The blue label had the screw front hinge as yours does.

Bigger Hammer is your answer.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess this info is relevant in this thread too:

That number code( on the barrel) means it is some time pre-'95 ish or so.  The rifle could have been build a bit later than that, though.

The earliest date code I have seen was a x/95 dated M4 barrel( the x is month, but don't remember what it was)
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I called Colt just a minute ago. They told me my rifle was built in 1990.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top