Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2017 7:52:18 AM EDT
So after I finish my 80% NoDak for my XM16E1 build I'll have an extra A1 NoDak sitting around. I'm looking for something to do with it that would be a clone project, I'm just not sure what.

I have an XM-177E2 already as well as a Mk12.

The NoDak lower isnt an SBR so I'm looking for ideas of what to do with it. Anything with a barrel 14.7 (pin and weld) or larger.

I'm thinking something like a 653, 651 or 723 or 727. But any other suggestions or pictures for inspiration are welcome.

Also were there any rifles or carbines built with flat top uppers and A1 lowers? I know this Is the A2 forum. Just thought I ask all the experts around here.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So after I finish my 80% NoDak for my XM16E1 build I'll have an extra A1 NoDak sitting around. I'm looking for something to do with it that would be a clone project, I'm just not sure what.

I have an XM-177E2 already as well as a Mk12.

The NoDak lower isnt an SBR so I'm looking for ideas of what to do with it. Anything with a barrel 14.7 (pin and weld) or larger.

I'm thinking something like a 653, 651 or 723 or 727. But any other suggestions or pictures for inspiration are welcome.

Also were there any rifles or carbines built with flat top uppers and A1 lowers? I know this Is the A2 forum. Just thought I ask all the experts around here.

Thanks!
View Quote

You pretty much have listed the choices. As for anything with a flat-top upper and an A1 lower, other than the Mk12, there is the Mk18 Mod 0, but you are looking at SBRing for that.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:08:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I kind of figured those were the two choices for a flattop. I just thought there was maybe some other obscure thing out there I'd never heard of.

I'm starting to lean toward a 727 BHD style. Definitely going to rattle can this one.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks. I kind of figured those were the two choices for a flattop. I just thought there was maybe some other obscure thing out there I'd never heard of.

I'm starting to lean toward a 727 BHD style. Definitely going to rattle can this one.
View Quote
If you go with a 727 build, find a nice 14.5" M4 profile barrel. At that point, you have a couple choices. You can have a BCM extended A2 FH pinned and welded or you can use an A2 FH, a spacer (correct width), and have the FH pinned and welded. I opted to use the extended A2 FH on mine.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#4]

But I'm never against an A2.  There were A2's with A1 lowers in the service.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#5]
There are thousands of "A2s" in inventory built with A1 lowers that were arsenal remarked to "A2" and "BURST", then just had their FCGs swapped out with burst parts. Any A2 build can be made with an A1 lower and be more-or-less correct, though the overstamp might help it look more authentic.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an A2 upper listed in the EE if you're interested.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:24:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are thousands of "A2s" in inventory built with A1 lowers that were arsenal remarked to "A2" and "BURST", then just had their FCGs swapped out with burst parts. Any A2 build can be made with an A1 lower and be more-or-less correct, though the overstamp might help it look more authentic.
View Quote
This is what I came to post.

If it's an 80% Nodak lower it's even better. You could use that to make a Balimoy A2 clone. Many of these were arsenal refinished at Anniston and were marked as such. Brace man could do the engraving I'd imagine.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#8]
CAPCO made A2 uppers for use on A1 lowers. Many A1 military lowers had a "2" stamped over the M16A"1" when then changeover was made.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:24:40 AM EDT
[#9]
There are also Colt A2 upper receivers floating around with rebated front lugs for use with early non-fenced receivers.  I have one in my hand as I write this.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies and ideas.

The left over lower is a Brownells A1.

At this point it will probably be a new home for my A2 service rifle competition upper.

Maybe I'll turn it into a real early or transitional A2 clone later on.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Here is my 723 clone. It would be considered an early 723 due to an A1 upper and pencil barrel. Brochere is 1988. I do understand you'll be using an A2 upper, but I wanted to show my 14.5" barrel that I had John Thomas make a spacer then pinned and welded the A2 flash hider. If I had an A2 upper and M4 barrel I'd definitely be building an 723. Good choice OP!

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top