Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2017 11:15:05 PM EDT
I'm talking grey metal, thin black furniture, no M4 feed ramp, no heavy barrel, and such.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I expect that will have to be built.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Used LEO Colts have been on gunbroker in the 650-700 range.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm talking grey metal, thin black furniture, no M4 feed ramp, no heavy barrel, and such.
View Quote

Are you talking about a A2 type rifle that looks like a M16A2?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:08:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually, if you can find one, the Century Arms C-15 is mostly made from M16A2 parts.

I've seen these on Gunbroker for less than $400 at times.

Yeah, I know...Century....but hear me out.

The lower receiver was made by DPMS on a variance and they provided new fire control groups and for most of them new barrels. A few got new butt stocks and hand guards.

The only real fucked part of the build was they ground the bolt carrier because someone at ATF or customs claimed M16 bolts were NFA items and they had to be modified for a semiauto rifle.

I brought all of those rifles into the country from Guatemala 20 years ago. All the A2s and A1s were imported as parts kits the CAR-15 versions (less than 3000) were imported as is as MGs for LE sales.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:14:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are you talking about a A2 type rifle that looks like a M16A2?
View Quote
What else would I mean?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:37:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What else would I mean?
View Quote
That being the case, it is doubtful that you will find any factory built A2 clone that does not have a heavy barrel. Additionally, most all A2s are black anodized and not gray. You would be better off building one and coating the receivers with the shade of gray that you want.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That being the case, it is doubtful that you will find any factory built A2 clone that does not have a heavy barrel. Additionally, most all A2s are black anodized and not gray. You would be better off building one and coating the receivers with the shade of gray that you want.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cheapest real A2 spec on the market?

Quoted:
What else would I mean?
Hell, for that matter, does anyone currently even offer an A2?
Yeah, it seems that building is the only way to go.
I've actually built two A2 clones in the past year that turned out very nice.
Finding good A2 uppers is getting a bit challenging though.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#8]
The local shops keep saying they have nothing and get pissy when they fail to get me to order one of these, claiming it's an A2 copy with no rails. https://fnamerica.com/products/rifles/fn-15-military-collector-m16/
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Hell, for that matter, does anyone currently even offer an A2?
Yeah, it seems that building is the only way to go.
I've actually built two A2 clones in the past year that turned out very nice.
Finding good A2 uppers is getting a bit challenging though.
View Quote
Del-Ton offers an A2, but it has a 1/9 heavy barrel. Rock River Arms also offers an A2, but it is a National Match model with a stainless heavy barrel.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Del-Ton offers an A2, but it has a 1/9 heavy barrel. Rock River Arms also offers an A2, but it is a National Match model with a stainless heavy barrel.
View Quote
Del-Ton will build you a complete A2 upper in your choice of barrel profile. I know because I own one.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wasn't aware of that. Good to know. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Del-Ton will build you a complete A2 upper in your choice of barrel profile. I know because I own one.
View Quote
I wasn't aware of that either. Also good to know. Thanks to you too. .
It seems like I'm learning new stuff every day. .
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Put up a Wanted listing if anyone can help me out.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Can’t find anything but flattop heavy barreled crap the manufacturer claims is an A2
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:39:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Can’t find anything but flattop heavy barreled crap the manufacturer claims is an A2
View Quote
That is probably about the only thing you are going to find now a days.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:08:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Build your own.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:31:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Build your own.
View Quote
Don’t want to
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Don’t want to
View Quote
If your really wanting one already built then maybe Gunbroker or some place like it is your best bet.

I have seen a few for sale in the last year. Be ready to pay the price.
It may take a while to find one like what your are wanting.

I just look at them and pass because building one is much easier.
I know what I have in my builds. For me it is the hunt for the parts.
It sometimes takes years for some of the builds. But I have the time.
I don't get in a hurry.

Your other option is to start buying the parts you want on a rifle and then send them to an ffl that is licensed to build and get it built like you want.

Good Luck.
Ron
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Don’t want to
View Quote
Then I have to say, you are probably SOL, the A2 is old...so building is the best option..
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:47:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Then I have to say, you are probably SOL, the A2 is old...so building is the best option..
View Quote
Hit the nail on the head.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:14:36 AM EDT
[#21]
OP,

You come across poorly. Perhaps you should think about how you sound when you're asking for advice.

Since this is a tech thread, my advice as someone who's both built and bought A2s:

- no one makes what you're seeking
- check Gunbroker for an old Colt or Bushmaster
- build your own

The problem with buying a Colt A2-ish rifle is the A2 marked lowers are slabside. Match Target models aren't marked as A2s and may have some problems such as larger trigger pins, lower receiver block, neutered barrels (no bayo lug and/or flash hider) or heavy barrels.  Bushmaster A2 guns were often 1/9 twist.

Building an A2 is still quite easy. It's not terribly hard to find an A2 upper receiver. Check the EE here as well as Gunbroker. Once you have the upper, find a 20" Gov't profile upper w/o M4 feed ramps. But really you can still use a barrel with M4 ramps and Windham Weaponry makes nice A2 barrels. USGI handguards are still easily obtainable and after that everything else is essentially current production.

If colors matter to you then just refinish your parts w/ Norrells, Duracoat, Cerakote, etc.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Kind of expensive, and with the stainless barrel it wont look like a service issue, but I haven't seen anything else new for sale with an A2 upper.

Link
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Kind of expensive, and with the stainless barrel it wont look like a service issue, but I haven't seen anything else new for sale with an A2 upper.

Link
View Quote
.223 Wylde?
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
.223 Wylde?
View Quote
Commonly used on a lot of rifles now a days.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
.223 Wylde?
View Quote
These are Service Rifle competition upper assemblies. The barrels are pretty much match grade and the .223 Wylde chamber is a must for them. It is the best of both worlds between the .223 REM and 5.56 NATO chambers.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Could always pay someone to build it for you.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Could always pay someone to build it for you.
View Quote
You would need to find one with the proper FFL/SOT license. I hold the license, but I won't put guns together for anybody other than myself, I don't want to accept the liability.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:19:08 AM EDT
[#28]
An authentic A2, or A4 for that matter, is harder to find than a Vietnam through 1980s era parts kit and/or upper… I suspect prices area only going to increase as time goes on.

Beware of the guys humping kits taken from pre ban Colt Sporter II rifles. Granted, the kits have nice donor parts (such as furniture and barrel), but the receivers have the oversize take-down hole and not sear cut… there is a guy humping these kits at an inflated price (for Sporter II take-off parts).

Here is a nice upper for an excellent prices (not mine).  I paid more for my examples.  

http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/664708462
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Bushmaster makes a A2 rifle not sure on twist rate or barrel profile.

Highstandard makes a rifle but its a flat top. However several years ago I ordered a A2 rifle upper from them, so maybe a phone call would get you a custom order. They offer a 1/7 twist rate and a what I remember (sold the rifle I put together) the barrel profile was very similar to issued M16's.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#30]
There's a Colt 6551 Sporter on the EE (not mine, nor do I know the seller) that looks pretty nice, and is probably the most accurate looking (at least externally) M16A2 style semi-auto ever made by Colt. Negatives are the lack of bayonet lug, the sear block, and since there's no drain hole in the mag fence, I'd guess that it's probably not drilled to take a spring and detent in order to use a standard pivot pin. A little more money (ok, maybe a lot) can fix all of those issues.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_21/1675636_WTS-Pre-ban-Colt-Sporter-Target-Model-1450-00-delivered.html

ETA: Actually, the most accurate version of a colt M16A2 style semi-auto would probably be a ban-era LE6551, which I've only seen a couple of through the years. Those include the lug with no sear block, though I don't know if any were drilled for the spring & detent.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 5:20:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There's a Colt 6551 Sporter on the EE (not mine, nor do I know the seller) that looks pretty nice, and is probably the most accurate looking (at least externally) M16A2 style semi-auto ever made by Colt. Negatives are the lack of bayonet lug, the sear block, and since there's no drain hole in the mag fence, I'd guess that it's probably not drilled to take a spring and detent in order to use a standard pivot pin. A little more money (ok, maybe a lot) can fix all of those issues.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_21/1675636_WTS-Pre-ban-Colt-Sporter-Target-Model-1450-00-delivered.html

ETA: Actually, the most accurate version of a colt M16A2 style semi-auto would probably be a ban-era LE6551, which I've only seen a couple of through the years. Those include the lug with no sear block, though I don't know if any were drilled for the spring & detent.
View Quote
I'm pretty sure that there is a drain hole in the mag fence of that Sporter.  For an A2 clone, the sear block and shaved bayonet lug is a deal killer.  That said, these pre-ban Sporters are nice rifles.  For the $$$, I'd rather go a little earlier and pick up a Sporter II with an A2 receiver.  Granted, it will be smooth slab and have the oversized take-down pin, but you can use a USGI bolt carrier in it, no sear block, and barrel has the bayonet lug.  You can enjoy….. but if the decision to build a more authentic A2 clone was made, all the "meat" is there (barrel, furniture, bolt ect.).  Just find the proper Colt A2 receiver and lower of choice.  The pre-ban lower is an easy $800+ resale and $150-$200 for the Sporter A2 upper receiver.  

The LEO marked ban era LE6551.  These are AWESOME, but damned hard to come by.  These and the 6530 rifles from the same time frame.  I understand they were around only a couple years…. I have been lucky enough to find a nice 6530.  The lowers are LEO marked, but the cool part is that the Colt markings on the LE6551 state "AR-15 over TARGET MODEL."  The 6530 markings are "AR-15 over LIGHTWEIGHT."  No "SPORTER" BS marked on these lowers!  My 6530 has a really nice lighter charcoal grey finish, the lower exhibits the same contours as the earliest A2 lowers.  The receiver does have the typical sear fence forged into the receiver.  The only downside was the A2 buttstock had a plastic trapdoor (looks just like USGI, but plastic), which was swapped for aluminum.  I imagine that these are hard to come by, as I doubt that they were nearly as popular as carbines with collapsible stocks. My 6530 came with the smaller version screw take down pin for the front lug.  The fence does have the drain hole and ready to accommodate a USGI ten down pin assembly (I install don in mine).  This is one of my favorite shooters (it was an ex-LEO gun, I have no reservations shooting it).
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure that there is a drain hole in the mag fence of that Sporter.  For an A2 clone, the sear block and shaved bayonet lug is a deal killer.  That said, these pre-ban Sporters are nice rifles.  For the $$, I'd rather go a little earlier and pick up a Sporter II with an A2 receiver.  Granted, it will be smooth slab and have the oversized take-down pin, but you can use a USGI bolt carrier in it, no sear block, and barrel has the bayonet lug.  You can enjoy….. but if the decision to build a more authentic A2 clone was made, all the "meat" is there (barrel, furniture, bolt ect.).  Just find the proper Colt A2 receiver and lower of choice.  The pre-ban lower is an easy $800+ resale and $150-$200 for the Sporter A2 upper receiver.  

The LEO marked ban era LE6551.  These are AWESOME, but damned hard to come by.  These and the 6530 rifles from the same time frame.  I understand they were around only a couple years…. I have been lucky enough to find a nice 6530.  The lowers are LEO marked, but the cool part is that the Colt markings on the LE6551 state "AR-15 over TARGET MODEL."  The 6530 markings are "AR-15 over LIGHTWEIGHT."  No "SPORTER" BS marked on these lowers!  My 6530 has a really nice lighter charcoal grey finish, the lower exhibits the same contours as the earliest A2 lowers.  The receiver does have the typical sear fence forged into the receiver.  The only downside was the A2 buttstock had a plastic trapdoor (looks just like USGI, but plastic), which was swapped for aluminum.  I imagine that these are hard to come by, as I doubt that they were nearly as popular as carbines with collapsible stocks. My 6530 came with the smaller version screw take down pin for the front lug.  The fence does have the drain hole and ready to accommodate a USGI ten down pin assembly (I install don in mine).  This is one of my favorite shooters (it was an ex-LEO gun, I have no reservations shooting it).  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure that there is a drain hole in the mag fence of that Sporter.  For an A2 clone, the sear block and shaved bayonet lug is a deal killer.  That said, these pre-ban Sporters are nice rifles.  For the $$, I'd rather go a little earlier and pick up a Sporter II with an A2 receiver.  Granted, it will be smooth slab and have the oversized take-down pin, but you can use a USGI bolt carrier in it, no sear block, and barrel has the bayonet lug.  You can enjoy….. but if the decision to build a more authentic A2 clone was made, all the "meat" is there (barrel, furniture, bolt ect.).  Just find the proper Colt A2 receiver and lower of choice.  The pre-ban lower is an easy $800+ resale and $150-$200 for the Sporter A2 upper receiver.  

I don't see a drain hole in the full size pic. Here's a zoomed in crop from the ad on the EE.

My ban-era LE6700 (10/97 per the barrel marking) didn't have the drain hole or spring channel either, although I did send it to Ken @ Specialized Armament and had it drilled for the detent and spring so I could use a standard pivot pin. This pic was taken before getting it drilled. It also had a plastic door that has since been replaced. I had to help balance the HBAR just a little bit.

Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Interesting.... I dropped take down pin, spring and detention in my USGI AR-15 lightweight without incident.  Same with a pre-ban Target HBAR.

Another anomaly to avoid.  Jeesh, Colt does some stupid crap to their civilian rifles.  Glad I bypassed sear blocked late pre-bans. Barf!

The LE AR-15 rifles I spoke of date from the late 1990s (verified on barrels).  It is in interesting that they had early A2 characteristics, and has the small screw in front take down pin.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Why would you not want to? Its fun and yiu get exactly want you want in the end.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:58:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Why would you not want to? Its fun and you get exactly want you want in the end.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#36]
It is more fun to scrounge for the parts. With your build, i would suggest you spwnd your pennies on a new DTI 1/9 hbar barrel with chrome chamber and bore. Next but a new bcg with mpi as well as chome lined carrier and gas key. After that, you can build the gun out if crappy surplus parts and still get a great shooter capable of better performance than all but the upper eschelon of shooters.
You could go with used barrel and bcg, or used gun for that matter. But you will not get the piece of mind that it has not been neglected or out right abused.
And along the way (build) tou get to upgrade things like rear sight or trigger group. With the prices and availability of used A2 rifles,  it is very likely that the build route will yield a better shooter and at a lower price.
You think this is bad, you should try to build an A1 variant! Almost like breeding unicorns.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:53:19 PM EDT
[#37]
It is more fun to scrounge for the parts. With your build, i would suggest you spwnd your pennies on a new DTI 1/9 hbar barrel with chrome chamber and bore. Next but a new bcg with mpi as well as chome lined carrier and gas key. After that, you can build the gun out if crappy surplus parts and still get a great shooter capable of better performance than all but the upper eschelon of shooters.
You could go with used barrel and bcg, or used gun for that matter. But you will not get the piece of mind that it has not been neglected or out right abused.
And along the way (build) tou get to upgrade things like rear sight or trigger group. With the prices and availability of used A2 rifles,  it is very likely that the build route will yield a better shooter and at a lower price.
You think this is bad, you should try to build an A1 variant! Almost like breeding unicorns.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#38]
AR-15 20'' Government Profile Barrel Kit from Del-ton
This is what I use to build my A2 rifles.

I like the 1/9 because I have a lot of the ammo for it.

I usually just buy the kits from Delton when they have a sale on them.
They had them on sale last week for $125 and free shipping.
I went ahead and got several of them for future builds.
Note: I get them with the non-F marked FSB, (No extra charge for it)
They work for me.
Have a good day,

RON

Attachment Attached File

This is an example of one of mine with the Delton barrel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:14:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
AR-15 20'' Government Profile Barrel Kit from Del-ton
This is what I use to build my A2 rifles.

I like the 1/9 because I have a lot of the ammo for it.

I usually just buy the kits from Delton when they have a sale on them.
They had them on sale last week for $125 and free shipping.
I went ahead and got several of them for future builds.
Note: I get them with the non-F marked FSB, (No extra charge for it)
They work for me.
Have a good day,

RON

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/132102/KT1009-2-307806.JPG

This is an example of one of mine with the Delton barrel.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/132102/003-307819.JPG
View Quote
thought this thread was dead. I have heard nothing good of Del-ton and like i’ve said before, I have absolutely zero interest in building
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:13:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
thought this thread was dead. I have heard nothing good of Del-ton and like i’ve said before, I have absolutely zero interest in building
View Quote
Yea! I knew you didn't have any interest in building, this was not posted for you.
For you this thread may be dead. Feel free to not respond to the post, It is OK.

It is just used as a vessel to continue the conversion instead of starting a new thread on the A2.
Others may or may not have interest.
This is for others that are interested in building.
There have been others that have posted good things about Del-ton.
Have a good day.

Ron
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#41]
I have two rifles with Delton parts on them and they are good shooting rifles, I purchase one complete A4 upper from them and it is a nice upper and accurate and I have a .308 with a 16" Delton barrel and it is an accurate barrel.  So who ever is saying Delton is no good, is talking out some other orifice on their body than their mouth.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:15:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
And we do. Thank you for that.

Quoted:
And rightfully so. They make some pretty good stuff.

Quoted:
Have a good day.
Or not.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yea! I knew you didn't have any interest in building, this was not posted for you.
For you this thread may be dead. Feel free to not respond to the post, It is OK.

It is just used as a vessel to continue the conversion instead of starting a new thread on the A2.
This is for others that are interested in building.
Have a good day.

Ron
View Quote
I appreciate your post! I'll look into Del-ton when I finally get off my ass and start my A2 build that I've been wanting for years now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#44]
I just bought a minty ban era XM15 with an HBAR fluted bbl. I sent it to ADCO for a new Windham Weaponry 20" 1/7 bbl. It should be a perfect clone once I replace the craptastic plastic trigger guard.

The price was more than I wanted to pay, but I love the old A2 style rifles. Classic look.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top