Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2017 12:19:26 AM EDT
I've got a Colt 6601 I really like and want to keep it pretty original. Who makes a good scope mount that fits inside the carry handle? Also I know I'm going to need a cheek riser. What are my options? If not much is available (that allow the charging handle to clear) I've may try my hand making one with kydex.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:32:07 AM EDT
[#1]
The issue ones I've seen were A.R.M.S. mounts.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:46:40 AM EDT
[#2]
ACOG
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:04:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ACOG
View Quote
Yeah. Or any other directly mounted scope.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 7:08:22 AM EDT
[#4]
don't do it is the advice.  If it has a removable carry handle and you put a scope on it that would be instant fail.  either shoot it with the irons or remove handle and put scope on it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 8:15:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
don't do it is the advice.  If it has a removable carry handle and you put a scope on it that would be instant fail.  either shoot it with the irons or remove handle and put scope on it.
View Quote
The 6601 has an A2 upper.

As far as scope mounts go, there are various picatinny rails that are designed for carrying handles. These are priced between $8 and $75. There are also some scope mounts with rings that are designed for carrying handles as well. Using a picatinny rail will give the best opportunity to use a variety of low profile rings that are sized for the scope intended to be used.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 8:24:36 AM EDT
[#6]
glad to hear its a fixed carry handle.  I have seen so many bad setups/ poor results from guys at the range putting huge scopes on top of removable carry handles.  I have a collection of pictures I can post some day if I can find them.  Very common to see guys with a carry handle with a riser bar mounted on it then a rail then rings.  Unbelievable what they come up with.

Acog then would be an excellent choice.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies.

What solutions do you guys have for a cheek riser on these fixed stocks?
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Use Aimpoint and you don't need a riser.

Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I was looking to put something magnified on it. I've got aimpoints on my carbines.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#10]
deleted.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Had an ACOG on a carry handle, didn't really care for it as it placed the scope too high for my taste.
Consider buying a flattop upper and mounting a scope on it, they are cheap right now.
Hell, a decent scope will run you more than a decent upper.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Leupold , ARMS,  and Weaver make mounts that are gtg.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Bradley engineering

This one looks nice.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an ARMS #2.  Not sure if you can still buy them, but it works very well for what you want it to do.  

You don't NEED a cheek riser.  I have done some shooting with a scope on a carry handle.  On my A2 and even my (gasp) removable carry handle on my M4.  For me, it's not that bad of a deal.  The downside to a traditional scope is depending on the eye relief, sometimes it will put the scope kind of far back and you may be too close to the scope if you're like prone.  I had this issue with my Leupy 2x7 on my A2 20"er.  But sitting up at a bench or off hand or most other positions it was fine.  

I also have a seemingly pretty good quality knock off Colt Scope.   That has the opposite problem.  You need to get pretty close to it in order to have a really good sight picture.  Or one that doesn't have shadowing on the outsides.  And sometimes I have to crane my neck a bit.  

Yes, mounting a scope on top of the carry handle is not as good as mounting it to a flat top.  But it can work.  Did work, and can yield good accuracy.  Despite how lots of people act like you'll get SARS if you do it.  

Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's a mount I wanted to buy but never got around to.
http://www.smithenterprise.com/products04.02.html  top of page.
I have an old mount I bought years ago, I think it came in a dpms/panther arms package. I used it for a while, then threw it in the parts box. I'm thinking about using it again though.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have an ARMS #2.  Not sure if you can still buy them, but it works very well for what you want it to do.  

You don't NEED a cheek riser.  I have done some shooting with a scope on a carry handle.  On my A2 and even my (gasp) removable carry handle on my M4.  For me, it's not that bad of a deal.  The downside to a traditional scope is depending on the eye relief, sometimes it will put the scope kind of far back and you may be too close to the scope if you're like prone.  I had this issue with my Leupy 2x7 on my A2 20"er.  But sitting up at a bench or off hand or most other positions it was fine.  

I also have a seemingly pretty good quality knock off Colt Scope.   That has the opposite problem.  You need to get pretty close to it in order to have a really good sight picture.  Or one that doesn't have shadowing on the outsides.  And sometimes I have to crane my neck a bit.  

Yes, mounting a scope on top of the carry handle is not as good as mounting it to a flat top.  But it can work.  Did work, and can yield good accuracy.  Despite how lots of people act like you'll get SARS if you do it.  

http://i.imgur.com/nQAzmJ9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vevZkAt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tmgrGoG.jpg
View Quote
ARMS 2 link
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 8:47:15 AM EDT
[#17]
That is probably the best one I've seen yet. I thought about making one from kydex, but I just don't have the time.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top