Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/26/2017 10:25:07 AM EDT
I'm working on finishing up my Prototype XM4 build, and was going back over the "Go-Ahead In Process Review, Carbine, 5.56mm, XM4" document that I must have snagged from someone around here at some point.

There was a mention at a number of points, of a Forward Pistol Grip being beneficial and desired.  I didn't think much of it, and figured they were doing something similar to the improvised ones used on the 177s, which were bolted to the lower handguard.

But then I noticed this in some notes from a meeting on June 12, 1984, where they seem to have had one of the prototypes mocked up:

Specifically the bit about it "Scratch(ing) the finish off the barrel very quickly."

Anyone know how these mounted, or what they looked like?  I'd love to incorporate one in my build, but I'm not even sure what it looked like.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't find a photograph quickly, but back before rails were commonly used/available, clamp-on, barrel mount VFGs were available and sometimes used.

One of Wilcox Industries' early products was the "Power Grip," which was available in both barrel and rail mounted variants:

~Augee
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Bushmaster / Quality parts used to sell a forward grip that mounted on the barrel almost like a period flashlight mount.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't find a photograph quickly, but back before rails were commonly used/available, clamp-on, barrel mount VFGs were available and sometimes used.

One of Wilcox Industries' early products was the "Power Grip," which was available in both barrel and rail mounted variants:

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/1517182631/3830553/ACF8BDA.JPG

~Augee
View Quote
Interesting.  This is the first that I have seen these.

And then like 10 minutes later I see a folding version on the EE.

Pretty cool, imo.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top