Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/20/2017 11:31:05 PM EDT
I finished this build a few months ago and just got lazy about taking photos.  But the light and the weather was nice this evening, so I took it out back and shot it.  Er. . . you know what I mean.

Was shooting for an early Block I, after the earliest Accessory Kit Images, before they were even labeled as Block I.  I like it, but man this thing is front heavy.  Some day maybe I'll get an airsoft 203 and PEQ to finish it off and make it even more unbalanced.

Built on a Nodak A2 lower (My first A2, :::gasp!:::), and finished with parts collected from all over the place, including a couple from you fine lot, so thank you for your contributions as well as all of your insights and inspirations over the years.

Nodak Black A2 Stripped Receiver. . . . . . . . .  Nodak Spud
DPMS Lower Parts Kit. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Midway
Knights Armament Panel Cover Kit. . . . . . . . . Ebay
Knights Armament Carbine RAS + 3 Panels. . . Arfcom - TargetEarth
Colt 6920 16" M4 profile barrel . . . . . . . . . . . Arfcom - cschelk2
Colt Cerro Forged M4 Flat top Upper. . . . . . . .Arfcom - dogfacesoldier
KAC Rail Covers - 2ea - 2 rib, 4 rib 6 rib . . . . .Ebay
KAC 1 1/4" Push Button QD Sling Swivel. . . . . Operation Parts
KAC Front Sight Tower Sling Mount. . . . . . . . .Operation Parts
KAC 300m Rear BUIS. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Operation Parts
Colt 4 Position Buffer Tube Kit. . . . . . . . . . . . Gunbroker
Colt Full Auto Complete BCG. . . . . . . . . . . . . Gunbroker
Colt non-N1 Fiberite Stock Body. . . . . . . . . . . Ebay
Forward Assist Roll Pin. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Brownells
Unpadded OD VTAC 2 point sling. . . . . . . . . . Brownells
Trijicon Reflex RX01 - 4moa amber dot. . . . . .Calguns
Trijicon Reflex Rail Mount. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Gunbroker
Insight Technologies VLI. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (forgot to record that one, ages ago)

Anyway, on with the photos.

More and larger photos are viewable here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nduguid/albums/72157680938845994

Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:36:00 AM EDT
[#1]
NICE!
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:44:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Very nice clone indeed.  I've gathered most of the parts for an early Block I with a gray C AF upper with matching gray carry and charging handle.  Colt 14.5" M4 profile barrel, NoDak gray A2 lower, Colt gray 4-position buffer tube and N1 stock.  But recent CT scan shows cancer spread into liver now.  So build is now on hold indefinitely
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:04:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice clone indeed.  I've gathered most of the parts for an early Block I with a gray C AF upper with matching gray carry and charging handle.  Colt 14.5" M4 profile barrel, NoDak gray A2 lower, Colt gray 4-position buffer tube and N1 stock.  But recent CT scan shows cancer spread into liver now.  So build is now on hold indefinitely
View Quote
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that, Pro.  
But all of this is just material shit.  Take care of yourself.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:31:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice!

While yours is probably much more functional, a couple constructive criticisms;

The sling issued was this black nylon HK style with plastic hardware. It was decent, provided you didn't use the supplied buttstock adapter. I ended up just marking one with a couple USGI slings and some take.

The forward sling loop supplied was a rail mounted deal supplied by KAC. The buckle was plastic. Was more of a pain then it was worth.

The factory mount with carry handle style knobs was used for the reflex.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Prayers sent for you!  Take care..
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:57:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nice!

While yours is probably much more functional, a couple constructive criticisms;

The sling issued was this black nylon HK style with plastic hardware. It was decent, provided you didn't use the supplied buttstock adapter. I ended up just marking one with a couple USGI slings and some take.

The forward sling loop supplied was a rail mounted deal supplied by KAC. The buckle was plastic. Was more of a pain then it was worth.

The factory mount with carry handle style knobs was used for the reflex.
View Quote
HA HA! I have made, probably 3 different threads in the A2 section, trying to find out what the proper sling was for a Block 1, and I got no replies.  The best I was able to find on other sites, was some kind of VTAC style sling.

Anyway, thanks for the info, I'll certainly work on getting the right sling worked out.  Is it the single strap black nylon style that came on earlier 90's 9mms etc.?  

As for the Reflex Mount, I'd love to find an original, but have been hard pressed to do so.  There are some knob types available on GB, but they don't look right.  If you know where I can find one, let me know.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:55:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

HA HA! I have made, probably 3 different threads in the A2 section, trying to find out what the proper sling was for a Block 1, and I got no replies.  The best I was able to find on other sites, was some kind of VTAC style sling.

Anyway, thanks for the info, I'll certainly work on getting the right sling worked out.  Is it the single strap black nylon style that came on earlier 90's 9mms etc.?  

As for the Reflex Mount, I'd love to find an original, but have been hard pressed to do so.  There are some knob types available on GB, but they don't look right.  If you know where I can find one, let me know.
View Quote
It's a single strap that basically loops around on itself like an HK style sling. There is a shorter, adapter that is for the stock to provide a side loop for the sling. That was the weakness, as it was made from slick nylon, as were the buckles.. Which means that if you do it like the instructions say, it comes loose.... I think I still have one in my "issued" weapon junk box. As I said, I just made a clone of it using USGI M4 slings (long ones) and was better off.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Looking great! I love the early SOPMOD!
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nicely done.  Looks great.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#10]
That's hawt.  

It looks like you might have an HBAR under those handguards, which would explain the front heavyness.   The upside is that they usually shoot really well.

Oh wait, that's probably the heat shields....  My bad.  I don't own one of them bolt on rails......

BTW, how are you liking the Trijicon Reflex?
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top