Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2017 10:33:59 AM EDT
I know earlier A2s came with peel washers. I know what they look like.

What I don't know:

? What are they made of, material wise?
? How do they actually work? Are they layered to afford timing?

Tired of guessing and regurgitated bad info.

Eta: I see now that they are layered in thickness increments.

Do they peel easily?

Is it pretty much guessing until you get the correct timing?
What is the torque value for install?
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:29:01 AM EDT
[#1]
They are layers of thin shim stock pressed together under very high pressure. You can peel them with a knife or screwdriver or sometimes a fingernail.

Using a match or lighter on it seems to help loosen some of the layers.

From the -23&P technical manual:

3-10. UPPER RECEIVER AND BARREL ASSEMBLY (CONT).
d. REASSEMBLY (CONT)
NOTE
The peel washer may be heated to remove thin sections. Always place thin section to rear.

14. Install peel washer (11) and compensator (12) on rifle barrel assembly (2).

15. Torque compensator (12) to 15-20 ft-lb (20-27 N-m) using combination wrench (10) and torque wrench. Torque is measured when both wrenches are used together. Some portion of the opening of the third or middle slot must be straight up (align with the front sight post) (12.1) at proper torque level. Thin sections of the peel washer may be removed or added as required. Save unused sections
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are layers of thin shim stock pressed together under very high pressure. You can peel them with a knife or screwdriver or sometimes a fingernail.

Using a match or lighter on it seems to help loosen some of the layers.
View Quote
It is time I got started on putting together the A2's.
I have been gathering parts for a few years and the time is getting close to start.
One item that has been a mystery for me is the peel washer and how to do it correctly.
Thank you very much.

Ron
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:43:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I recently removed the crush washer on my A2 and installed a peel washer. I did have to break two of them apart to get the right combination to get the proper alignment on the A2 FH. I got the peel washers from Fulton Armory.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Was the peel washer only used on the A2?

Ron
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Was the peel washer only used on the A2?

Ron
View Quote
From my understanding, yes.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

From my understanding, yes.
View Quote
Nice looking rifle.

thanks for the answer.
Ron
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#8]
There still are/were a number of M16A4s (mostly the very early ones & a few that received early replacement barrels) that have peel washers installed rather than crush washers. Also, a number of early M4s used them as well. There were A LOT of left over peel washers around when the A4s first came out - hell - there were still peel washers in some units inventory bins even in 2004.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:43:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There still are/were a number of M16A4s (mostly the very early ones & a few that received early replacement barrels) that have peel washers installed rather than crush washers. Also, a number of early M4s used them as well. There were A LOT of left over peel washers around when the A4s first came out - hell - there were still peel washers in some units inventory bins even in 2004.
View Quote
^ That's true. For my personal builds I prefer shims, much easier to measure and count what you need to time it. Peel washers are a PITA

William
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top