Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/30/2017 5:54:38 PM EDT
Can someone help me source a collapsible stock preferably OD Green like the on used on the C7? I'm not really an A2 guy... more of an A1/SP1 so I don't know anything about the parts.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#1]
For a Canadian C7 clone build or what?  I'm a bit confused by the question.  I forget what they use.  Waffle or CAR stock?  Or do you mean a fixed A2 stock?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#2]
These two items will probably be the closest option to cloning the C7 stock:

https://www.tonyscustomsllc.com/product/c-a-r-stock-green/

https://www.tonyscustomsllc.com/product/c-a-r-recoil-pad-2/

Sadly, the stock is probably a shade too dark of green for a true clone.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#3]
The price is crazy if you ask me but it is the real deal:

C7A2 stock

A member here has successfully ordered one to the US.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought one last year from a different Canadian vendor (SFRC) but they're no longer listed. I think the Tony's stock listed above might be the only reasonable option.

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

C7A2 stock

View Quote
Price is crazy, BUT THEY ARE BADASS PERFECT
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 4:01:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Really?

We had the Colt/Diemaco C8 (well two of them actually) here a year or so back as part of the competition to choose a new rifle to replace the Steyr F88 (LMT won, by the way).  

We had all sorts of shooters there, from guys with decades of experience, to guys almost straight out of Basic.  Anytime you get a bunch of soldiers, sailors and airmen together to choose new rifle, you are going to have disagreements, but there was one thing everybody agreed upon:  how much we all hated that stock.  So much slop in it that when you snug down on the pistol grip and the whole back end of the carbine visibly tilted.  It was awful.  The only way it could have been worse is if they were using a military diameter stock on a commercial diameter tube.

Nope - you can have that one.  I'll stick with Magpul.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:21:23 AM EDT
[#7]
The Tony's stock is a very reasonable option.  The Cdn furniture is what they call Canadian Average Green (CAD).

When we first switched over to the A2 there were some supply problems.  Not enough ambi controls for example.  One thing I noticed was there were some darker green stocks that were smooth.  Took a closer look and sure enough Green N1 marked stocks.  It looked like Colt dusted off the machinery to help out.  Very few of them around but they do exist.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:08:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Really?

We had the Colt/Diemaco C8 (well two of them actually) here a year or so back as part of the competition to choose a new rifle to replace the Steyr F88 (LMT won, by the way).  

We had all sorts of shooters there, from guys with decades of experience, to guys almost straight out of Basic.  Anytime you get a bunch of soldiers, sailors and airmen together to choose new rifle, you are going to have disagreements, but there was one thing everybody agreed upon:  how much we all hated that stock.  So much slop in it that when you snug down on the pistol grip and the whole back end of the carbine visibly tilted.  It was awful.  The only way it could have been worse is if they were using a military diameter stock on a commercial diameter tube.

View Quote
You mean commercial stock on milpec tube, right?

Milspec is smaller diameter than commercial.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Really?

View Quote
I think the statement of "perfect" is more in reference to being the perfect part for a replica build, not that it's a perfect stock.  That the older CAR-style stocks have ergonomic shortcomings is fairly well accepted, hence the fact that they were replaced for U.S. M4/M4A1 production, not to mention the plethora of aftermarket stocks available on the market.

For a replica of a C7 or C8, however, it is perfect.  

That being said, while the slop could be potentially annoying in an administrative range setting, once you start getting into austere environments for prolonged periods of time, you come to appreciate a little "factory" slop, because particulate matter starts getting between the stock and the receiver extension, and you can hear the parts grinding when you adjust the stock.  If the initial fit is too tight, you can essentially "lock up" the stock, which is a no-good, pain in the ass situation, and the commercial trend towards tighter and tighter stocks is actually kind of annoying.  

Not to say that y'all Kiwis lack experience at all, but to hear stock designers/manufacturers talk about it, they're usually stuck between a rock and hard place, with military customers wanting looser stocks, while the commercial market demands unrealistic and counterproductive tightness.  MagPul's friction-lock solution is actually probably one of the best solutions out there, you can lock it down if you want the stock to be super tight, but it has enough looseness to account for foreign debris so as not to bind.  That being said, I basically never use the friction lock intentionally, and would buy a MOE if only they would come with QD sockets like the CTR, but they don't.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You mean commercial stock on milpec tube, right?

Milspec is smaller diameter than commercial.
View Quote
Yes, that's what I mean.  Sleep deprivation rearing its ugly head.

Augee - yes I see what you mean about it being perfect for recreating a particular look, rather than being a perfect stock.  I also admit your point about a little slop being useful in the field - but this was far from a little.  It was bloody awful - no other word for it.  We had a real cross-section of experience on the line (Including one of the last still-serving NZ Viet Nam veterans.  I came in second with 40 years service).  Trust me, we know when a stock just isn't working, and that wasn't.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:48:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

C7A2 stock

View Quote
wow! im in canada and that price is crazy even for here. i paid 80$ for mine...
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:35:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Really?

View Quote
It because that's what the CF specified. CF weapons have to pass ALL NATO tests including chemical resistance and live agent decontamination. Not all modern fancy furniture has passed these tests. Plus they have to pass a drop test. There slop is because when mud, dirt, sand and snow get in them you can actually open the stock. If it bothered you that bad you should of just swap it out. All Colt Canada products come standard with Mag Pul furniture. I still can't believe you guys picked the LMT.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:49:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It because that's what the CF specified. CF weapons have to pass ALL NATO tests including chemical resistance and live agent decontamination. Not all modern fancy furniture has passed these tests. Plus they have to pass a drop test. There slop is because when mud, dirt, sand and snow get in them you can actually open the stock. If it bothered you that bad you should of just swap it out. All Colt Canada products come standard with Mag Pul furniture. I still can't believe you guys picked the LMT.
View Quote
That is because the LMT was designed when Magpul was still selling rubber magazine accessories via US Cav.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 6:07:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, Colt Canada should have been responsive to the feedback they received at the start of the trial, and swapped it out, or at least offered. "You may not like it, but we think it is great" or words to that effect, will NOT win any converts.

Resistance to decontamination is not one of our criteria.  We all know the purpose of slop in the adjustable stock, but there is an acceptable level of slop, and then there is "This thing just plain doesn't fit worth a damn."  Everybody agreed that stock fell into the latter category.  You may not agree, but since you don't belong to the NZDF, it is a moot point.

The LMT won the trial, hands down.  Not really much choice after that.  Why would you find it hard to believe? We already had LMT Designated Marksman's Weapons (308 MWS). No particular reason not to buy them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Real life combat experience here.  

Soldiers do not embrace sloppy carbine stocks. A loose stock is more prone to accumulating sand and debris between the extension and stock.  Tighter stocks have a smaller recess to accumulate crud.  Also, believe it or not, once a carbine stock is set, they stay that way (consistsant cheek weld and sight picture).  

The LMT stocks we all covet.... not only is the cheek weld awesome, but they fit tight on the receiver extension.... very little slop.  Warm fuzzies.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Real life combat experience here.
View Quote
Mine is opposite.  

No one likes "sloppy" because there's a psychological component to that, but too tight is also just as bad as too loose.  

Sand and debris will accommodate regardless.  A stock that's too tight will bind and lock up.  A stock that's a little looser won't.  

I cannot prove it, but I am fairly certain, having handled a lot of them--that SOPMOD stocks intended for commercial sale are tighter than those intended to fulfill military contracts.  

::shrug::

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Has anyone successfully shipped a Colt Canada product from Nordic Marksman, Inc. into America?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#19]
We all had fixed stocks in the early 2000s. Do people really adjust their carbine stock a lot in the field? Enough that being tight or loose was a concern?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:59:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I thought I just give an update. I managed to buy and ship a Colt Canada triangular ambi sling mount endplate into the US. It was a Colt Canada take-off part, since it was previously staked.

I tried my luck again with the buffer tube to stay within the ATF exemption of $100 USD import limit, but they voided my order since they "don't export outside of Canada..." Even though I got the ambi sling mount... I wonder if it has to do with ITAR by any chance...

If there is a Canadian that would be willing to ship me a black Diemaco stock or any other parts, I would gladly pay.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:15:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I thought I just give an update. I managed to buy and ship a Colt Canada triangular ambi sling mount endplate into the US. It was a Colt Canada take-off part, since it was previously staked.

I tried my luck again with the buffer tube to stay within the ATF exemption of $100 USD import limit, but they voided my order since they "don't export outside of Canada..." Even though I got the ambi sling mount... I wonder if it has to do with ITAR by any chance...

If there is a Canadian that would be willing to ship me a black Diemaco stock or any other parts, I would gladly pay.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Probably more to do with Canadian law.

Quoted:

Mine is opposite.  

No one likes "sloppy" because there's a psychological component to that, but too tight is also just as bad as too loose.  

Sand and debris will accommodate regardless.  A stock that's too tight will bind and lock up.  A stock that's a little looser won't.  

I cannot prove it, but I am fairly certain, having handled a lot of them--that SOPMOD stocks intended for commercial sale are tighter than those intended to fulfill military contracts.  

::shrug::

~Augee
My issued stock on my issued weapon was nice and tight. As it should be.

Quoted:
We all had fixed stocks in the early 2000s. Do people really adjust their carbine stock a lot in the field? Enough that being tight or loose was a concern?
I would adjust between 2 and 3 positions depending on the type of shooting / position. But my stuff was never loose. But I only ever used the N1 stock, the issued waffle, and later the LMT.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:54:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No, Colt Canada should have been responsive to the feedback they received at the start of the trial, and swapped it out, or at least offered. "You may not like it, but we think it is great" or words to that effect, will NOT win any converts.

Resistance to decontamination is not one of our criteria.  We all know the purpose of slop in the adjustable stock, but there is an acceptable level of slop, and then there is "This thing just plain doesn't fit worth a damn."  Everybody agreed that stock fell into the latter category.  You may not agree, but since you don't belong to the NZDF, it is a moot point.

The LMT won the trial, hands down.  Not really much choice after that.  Why would you find it hard to believe? We already had LMT Designated Marksman's Weapons (308 MWS). No particular reason not to buy them.
View Quote
I'm not talking about the stock. I'm talking about the weapon platform. I guess time will tell if they made the right decision. The CF bought some Armalite AR10 for the DMR role and they just fell apart under combat conditions.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:55:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's the newer version of sling plate. There is actually 3 different ones.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:58:22 AM EDT
[#24]
What about the cav arms OD CAR Stock
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#25]
If you are looking at a, "similar to a C8", the CAV Arms will work.  Different green than a C8 and does not have the texture like a C8.  Tony's Customs also has a green that is closer in color.  I never had one since I never built a C8A3 like I wanted to.
Tony's Green CAR Stock
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Do tonys green stock come with the texture?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#27]
No.  AFAIK only real Colt Canada/Diemaco stocks have texture.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:57:51 PM EDT
[#28]
No, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  Like I mentioned previously I've seen green Colt N1 stocks on some of the first C7A2 conversions.  The colour was darker than the Diemaco Canadian Average Green.  My last unit had a few, wish I'd taken photos.

Might have to dig through the vault and see if I can find one at my current unit.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:55:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:02:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
One for sale on the EE. Green, Canadian, and new.
View Quote
Free bottle of Maple Syrup?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:04:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I bought one last year from a different Canadian vendor (SFRC) but they're no longer listed. I think the Tony's stock listed above might be the only reasonable option.

http://www.narruc.net/Public/sale/c8-stock/1.jpg
View Quote
Wow, this looks like the one on the EE.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:37:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 4:59:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Here's the picture I originally had above. I used an actual camera to take the new picture (which is also in the sale ad) and updated my previous post in this thread since it shows the stock better.

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top