Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/10/2017 9:11:47 AM EDT
Anybody recommend a reputable source for these?
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll double check this afternoon, but I'm pretty sure I have one in my parts box.  And I don't need it.  I think I got it from brownells  but shoot me an email, I'll send it to you.  You're talking about the the front pin for attaching upper to lower, right?  

And just make sure it is what you need.  For some reason I thought that's what I'd need because my colt had a pin with a screw.  But it was a normal size.  just has the screw.  I saw someone in another thread post the same thing recently.  It seemed like he assumed just because the takedown pin had a screw on one side, that it's a large hole upper.   That's not the case with my Colt A2.  It's the lug in the upper that is larger with some of the older A1 uppers.  At least I think that's how that works.  

If you need it, my email is [email protected].  I'll double check after lunch that I have it down there.  But I'm pretty darn sure I do.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Email sent. Thanks JJ! I owe you a solid.

It is a Colt large pin A2 upper going on a standard sized A2 lower. Front pivot pin.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Another question...are all large pin uppers the same size?  In other words, is there only large and standard?
Or is sizing manufacturer specific?

Feel like it's my first day.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe there are only the two Variations. But until a few days ago I didn't know about this problem! Needless to say I was disappointed when my 6520 upper showed up. Coming from the world of AK's I was often told everything on AR's is designed to be interchangeable. So much for that haha I am loving this rifle though.

For the record if anyone else is looking I ordered one from JSE surplus.  http://www.jsesurplus.com/coltreceiveradapteroffsetbushing.aspx
Many other sites show this product as oos and discontinued! Any word on if this product is in fact discontinued?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I just bought three from JSE. Price was VERY reasonable.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Brownells is discontinued.
receiver adapter

What I do not know is this : are there more than one size? And, do I need the 2 pc pin and bushing?

Member JJREA was nice enough to mail me out some parts he wasn't using I'll update.
THANKS JJ!

@JJREA

Eta: JSE has the pins also. Again, not sure what all is needed? Pin? Bushing? Both?
JSE offset pin
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:28:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Well that one you linked is for a large hole lower and a regular sized pin upper.  The one I sent you is for large hole upper and a standard lower, I think.  Now that I think about it, I'm not so sure any more.....  Ugh.  

And it was my pleasure.  I just hope the dang thing works......
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:49:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well that one you linked is for a large hole lower and a regular sized pin upper.  The one I sent you is for large hole upper and a standard lower, I think.  Now that I think about it, I'm not so sure any more.....  Ugh.  

And it was my pleasure.  I just hope the dang thing works......
View Quote
Shit

You are right. I didnt even notice.

I will get this figured out if it kills me. Upper should be here tomorrow?  I'll update when I can.

Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Well damn I'm in the same boat too! I thought that part was for a large hole upper. I'm not sure either anymore it's hard to keep track of the two sizes and possible combinations.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well damn I'm in the same boat too! I thought that part was for a large hole upper. I'm not sure either anymore it's hard to keep track of the two sizes and possible combinations.
View Quote
When you want to use a large-hole upper with small (mil-spec) pivot pin lowers, you need a bushing that goes inside th large-hole front lug of the upper.

When you have a small-hole upper (mil-spec front lug) with a large-hole lower, then you need a reverse off-set pin.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

When you want to use a large-hole upper with small (mil-spec) pivot pin lowers, you need a bushing that goes inside th large-hole front lug of the upper.

When you have a small-hole upper (mil-spec front lug) with a large-hole lower, then you need a reverse off-set pin.
View Quote
This is what I wanted to know.

Mine showed up today. 0.315 hole in upper lug, standard lower.

Looks like I need a bushing now.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:14:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is whatI wanted to know.

Mine showed up today. 0.315 hole in upper lug, standard lower.

Looks like I need a bushing now.
View Quote
Shoot me an IM and I'll be glad to drop off a bushing in the mail for you.  That way, you don't have to pay $7 bucks for shipping on a $2 item
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Shoot me an IM and I'll be glad to drop off a bushing in the mail for you.  That way, you don't have to pay $7 bucks for shipping on a $2 item
View Quote
Message sent.
THANKS @Pro2ndAm

....just when you think you know enough to be dangerous, everyone has to babysit you.

Thanks for all the help ALL.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Brownells is discontinued.
receiver adapter

What I do not know is this : are there more than one size? And, do I need the 2 pc pin and bushing?

Member JJREA was nice enough to mail me out some parts he wasn't using I'll update.
THANKS JJ!

@JJREA

Eta: JSE has the pins also. Again, not sure what all is needed? Pin? Bushing? Both?
JSE offset pin
View Quote
Large hole upper to small hole lower?  All you need is the offset bushing.  

The adapter pin is for large hole lowers to small hole uppers.  

And since Colt is the only one who made large hole receivers there is only the one size of large hole.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Large hole upper to small hole lower?  All you need is the offset bushing.  

The adapter pin is for large hole lowers to small hole uppers.  

And since Colt is the only one who made large hole receivers there is only the one size of large hole.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Anybody recommend a reputable source for these?
View Quote

You can send the upper to John Thomas at Retro Arms Works and he will put a plug in it and drill it to the proper lower size.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:04:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You can send the upper to John Thomas at Retro Arms Works and he will put a plug in it and drill it to the proper lower size.
View Quote
I had read about having this done. I think I will go a temporary/adapted route for now.
Pro2ndAm was nice enough to help me out.

Thanks again to all.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Does that mean the pin I sent you is a no go?  IF so, bummer.  Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Does that mean the pin I sent you is a no go?  IF so, bummer.  Sorry about that.
View Quote
I do not know for sure JJ, but it sounds like probably.

If it is a no go, I'll shoot it back or we could throw it on the A2 PIF thread??
I'll let you know boss
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#20]
You don't need to send it back.  Yeah, wait until someone else might need it if it doesn't work.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:25:32 PM EDT
[#21]
JSE came through they seem like a great company to do business with. Any advice on installing the little bugger?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You don't need to send it back.  Yeah, wait until someone else might need it if it doesn't work.
View Quote
10-4 boss.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Any idea why this would be loose in a colt upper? I was expecting the thing to require a hammer and some hand fitting, but it won't even stay in place it slides out! Probably should have bought a few to account for variations.
http://www.jsesurplus.com/coltreceiveradapteroffsetbushing.aspx

Edit to add that after some more research it seems these often run loose and Green Loctite sleeve retaining compound is recommended once the bushing is properly aligned.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:55:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Any idea why this would be loose in a colt upper? I was expecting the thing to require a hammer and some hand fitting, but it won't even stay in place it slides out! Probably should have bought a few to account for variations.
http://www.jsesurplus.com/coltreceiveradapteroffsetbushing.aspx

Edit to add that after some more research it seems these often run loose and Green Loctite sleeve retaining compound is recommended once the bushing is properly aligned.
View Quote
This ^^^
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Green locktite is pretty close to permanent but I've had good luck with just the plain blue stuff.

Orient the bushing then let the locktite wick in around it and you're set.  If you shoot enough to soften it up then unless you separate the receivers immediately it'll reharden by the time you do.  In my experience.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:36:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Something else I did not know....
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#27]
That one I sent you, if the pins that fit into the lower fit, and the pin for the upper is too small, you might just need that bushing that retroguy posted.  It's only 3.50.  I think that might work....
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#28]
It is just the bushing that I need.
The pin I got from you is for a large hole lower to a standard hole upper lug.I think. Fairly certain.

Thanks for the help JJ.Much appreciated.Above and beyond.

Pro2ndAm is sending a bushing. I will update.....
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm pretty bummed about the fitment with the bushing! I seem to be stuck with a gap at the end of the receiver now. Anyone who has used these care to share their experience?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#30]
No idea as of yet. I will let you know in this thread when I know something.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks all!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:04:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm pretty bummed about the fitment with the bushing! I seem to be stuck with a gap at the end of the receiver now. Anyone who has used these care to share their experience?
View Quote
Can you post pics to show where the gap is?  I wonder if you have the bushing rotated in the right spot.  I'm guessing the offset hole should be toward the top with the bigger amount of metal towards the bottom.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Can you post pics to show where the gap is?  I wonder if you have the bushing rotated in the right spot.  I'm guessing the offset hole should be toward the top with the bigger amount of metal towards the bottom.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is your hole in your rear lug oblong? That along with the offset the wrong direction may be the issue ??

Post some pics?

Eta: I've done a little reading on the subject, now I'm dangerous

Guessing this is the correct orientation?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#34]
To me, it seems like the thinnest dimension should be like top dead center.  But I've never done this either.   That's just what makes sense to my mind.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
To me, it seems like the thinnest dimension should be like top dead center.  But I've never done this either.   That's just what makes sense to my mind.
View Quote
Same. Rotate left/right and reason tells me it wil cam the receiver fore/aft?

Hope to find out soon.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#36]
The only "correct" orientation is the one that works for your combo.

I had a large hole upper with the bushing that l had on two different lowers.  One combo was a prefect setup that one would never guess was bushed.  Of course l decided l need that lower for something else.  Moved it to a spare lower and if l adjusted the bushing so the receivers would pivot open l had such a large gap at the front l was worried l might have feedng issues.  So if l rotated the bushing to a more normal gap then the geometry was such the receivers would pivot open.  This is where l left it.  I figure if l needed to pivot them open it was just as easy to pop both pins out and separate the receivers.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The only "correct" orientation is the one that works for your combo.

I had a large hole upper with the bushing that l had on two different lowers.  One combo was a prefect setup that one would never guess was bushed.  Of course l decided l need that lower for something else.  Moved it to a spare lower and if l adjusted the bushing so the receivers would pivot open l had such a large gap at the front l was worried l might have feedng issues.  So if l rotated the bushing to a more normal gap then the geometry was such the receivers would pivot open.  This is where l left it.  I figure if l needed to pivot them open it was just as easy to pop both pins out and separate the receivers.
View Quote
So trial and error are part of the equation. Wish I had more patience.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes rotating that little thing can be frustrating. It seems in my case it's a poor compromise either a gap between the rear of the upper and the extension tube, or a gap and wobble between the upper and lower. I think I may have been expecting too much from this!

Trying to decide if I will order a few more to try and fit accounting for manufacturing variations or send it off to retro arms works.
Perhaps the thing will fill in better with some adhesive applied as there is some wobble up front that i don't get with a psa upper. Here's a picture of the gap in the back between receiver and extension! Made a f*cking photo bucket account and everything, what a terrible site I've tried to avoid them haha. They used to be alright too.

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yes rotating that little thing can be frustrating. It seems in my case it's a poor compromise either a gap between the rear of the upper and the extension tube, or a gap and wobble between the upper and lower. I think I may have been expecting too much from this!

Trying to decide if I will order a few more to try and fit accounting for manufacturing variations or send it off to retro arms works.
Perhaps the thing will fill in better with some adhesive applied as there is some wobble up front that i don't get with a psa upper. Here's a picture of the gap in the back between receiver and extension! Made a f*cking photo bucket account and everything, what a terrible site I've tried to avoid them haha. They used to be alright too.

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u535/JJZ3/IMG_9677_zps6mxstiq5.jpg
View Quote
Yeah, that is horrible.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#40]
I talked to John Thomas at Retro Arms Works and what a stand up guy very professional  and knowledgable.  

He told me to try just the rear pin in and low n behold the rear gap pictures was there. Upper and lower fitment issue not the bushing sorry guys!
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#41]
So your rear lug hole is out of spec. Yes?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Yeah, I was going to say, the gap in the back has nothing to do with the bushing on the front pin.....    Ugh.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Ugh indeed.  I'm not sure but my psa premium upper fits just right. If anyone has a thread or knowledge on the rear fitment issue for colt a2's please let me know.

Edit to add I think that if I do indeed adjust the bushing solution in the front pin then it will actually be in the right place no gap as I originally suspected
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#44]
So to update, offset bushing was all I needed.  JSE Surplus is the go to. Fits like a dream on 3 of my lowers.

Thanks to all who helped out. A little more knowledge in my corner now. Obligatory pic. Go easy, I've got some refinements to attend to. The 20" is a stretch for a short bastard like me. I think it'll be fun though.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top