Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2017 12:44:01 PM EDT
Putting together an early M4. A2 upper with M4 ramps and a M4 barrel. What lock ring style is correct for this?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, the M4 basically introduced the whole idea of the castle nut, vs the older style spanner-wrench telestock nut.
So, a transitional M4 build might still have the old style, but anything intended to represent being an M4 should have the castle nut.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IIRC, the M4 basically introduced the whole idea of the castle nut, vs the older style spanner-wrench telestock nut.
So, a transitional M4 build might still have the old style, but anything intended to represent being an M4 should have the castle nut.
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Early m4 would have the old style nut and the old CAR stock.  

I am on the phone and can't put the link but there is a thread on page 2 that has a Colt video that shows some very early a2 uppered m4 barreled rifles.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Early m4 would have the old style nut and the old CAR stock.  

I am on the phone and can't put the link but there is a thread on page 2 that has a Colt video that shows some very early a2 uppered m4 barreled rifles.
View Quote
I think that would be true of the 727 and commercial export versions, the XM4 was a different development project and would have the current style castle nut along with the four position stock.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think that would be true of the 727 and commercial export versions, the XM4 was a different development project and would have the current style castle nut along with the four position stock.
View Quote
You may be correct.  Here is the link to the thread with the Colt video.  Video thread  They are calling it the M4 Carbine (and M4A1)  in the video and there are clear shots of the older CAR15 buttstock and buffer tube ring.  Its hard to tell but it seems like the 2 position buffer tube.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I can tell that a 727 M16A2 export Carbine with M4 style barrel came with a two position receiver extension, "N1" marked stock and older nut ...

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top