Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2017 4:17:48 AM EDT
Hi,

It seems that Brownells has taken the lead in the "retro" AR market, which is a good thing in my books!!  With that said, I know that they offer both an AR-15 (1/12) and M4 (1/7) 14.7" barrels, which is really great, but I'm REALLY hoping that they will also introduce an AR-15A2 "pencil" carbine 14.7" barrel with a 1/7 twist rate...  Has anybody heard anything about this and if so, is there a timeline when this might happen?

I would love to build a couple of AR-15A2 type carbines, one with an A2 upper and another with a C7 upper, with a 14.7" barrel.  Basically for that more "correct" look.   I'm not in a hurry to build with a 16" barrel cut to 14.7" since it will be missing the tapered portion/area next to the muzzle end.  Yes, its a only a minor cosmetic issue, but still an issue to me.

I've been extremely happy with Brownells over the years and really stoked up that they're moving in this direction since this is often an overlooked area in the AR market!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I've noticed barrels with pinned "mil spec" FSBs are getting harder to find in general and the ones out there are not exactly at discounted prices.  

I decided to recycle a 16" pencil profile barrel that I have on a flat top upper and add it to my A2 upper, and make a Gucci free floated 6.5 Grendel or something with the leftover flat top upper.  

If we manage to get rid of the 16" requirement I'll cut it to 14.5".  If not, who cares, it's already light.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#2]
you can get that from Ballistic Advantage i believe
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you can get that from Ballistic Advantage i believe
View Quote

Their 14.7" barrel is for a mid-length build.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Their 14.7" barrel is for a mid-length build.  
View Quote

That seems to be the trend everywhere. I was looking for another Daniel defense 14.5" carbine gas pencil profile barrel a while back and it looks like they've stopped making those too, which is a shame.

A decent 14.5/14.7" 1:7 pencil profile and 20" 1:7 pencil profile would be nice.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Double Star still lists a 14.5" pencil barrel with FSB installed.

For a 4140 barrel with no chrome lining it is not bargain priced. Chrome lining is an additional $60.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top