Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/2/2017 12:29:59 PM EDT
Just a heads up that gunprime has some police trade in Olympic Arms A2, "LEO Only" marked lower, carbines.  No real details on specs, looks like heavy barrel, CAR stock, etc.  Olympic generally wasn't known for making AR's with chrome lined barrels though, like most manufacturers, special orders from departments, etc could request such specs to be incorporated, so who knows.  

Personally, I think the price seems a little high at $539 + shipping for used and possibly abused Olympic HBAR mystery carbines.  In todays market, I'd expect the price to be $100 lower, however, for you retro or LEO trade in collectors, this might be just the ticket for you.  

Link to Deal
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#1]
They might be pre-ban for those behind the lines. Not sure how to find except maybe call them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They might be pre-ban for those behind the lines. Not sure how to find except maybe call them.
View Quote

If they're actually LEO-only marked, they aren't pre-ban.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#3]
My first AR upper was a  Oly 16 in SS HB that looked like those.  The barrel was black but marked SS.  I don't remember even shooting it.  When I tried to use it with my DPMS lower, I had to bore out the pin holes on the upper because they were slightly off compared to a milspec lower like DPMS.  I never had that problem with any other upper or lower.  I understand Olympic may or may not be milspec.  I have read those barrels are excellent though.  

Also while I was in the Marines in 89 a friend of mine who lived off base wanted to show me his new Ar15.  I believe it was that carbine.  I had never seen a carbine before, I had only seen A1 and our issued A2s.  I thought, "why would someone want this little light weight thing"?  Of course years later the carbine is my favorite.  I finally put my first one together in around 2006-2007.  Now BRD is in full effect.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#4]
It's been my experience that Olympic Arms makes a quality weapon. This is probably a really good deal.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 4:07:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Price seems steep for a beater leo gun, but people snapped up those beater dpms guns that some third world security guards had in Iraq. Olympic's dead so forget about the "lifetime warranty"
View Quote
Those DPMS beater guns had chrome lined barrels and though rough on the outside were shot very little.  Those were also selling for the mid $400's.  

An interesting side note, those DPMS beater ARs are the only AR15's that US citizens were able to own after having left the US and issued to a foreign country!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:28:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Those DPMS beater guns had chrome lined barrels and though rough on the outside were shot very little.  Those were also selling for the mid $400's.  

An interesting side note, those DPMS beater ARs are the only AR15's that US citizens were able to own after having left the US and issued to a foreign country!
View Quote
Dpms,bushmaster and American spirit arms too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:26:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Observing what the foreign "security guards" contracted to guard bases ect. in Iraq and Afghanistan, the rifles that these mutts received were bottom of the barrel (though they were issued new).    

Mostly semi-auto Century AKs, and occasionally a low tier AR.  These security guards were mostly from African regions, and were extremely undisciplined and damned near worthless.  Consider that in regard to how well the firearms were maintained.

Bottom tier rifle maintained by bottom tier discipline in a relatively unforgiving environment.  Yep, I will pass.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:27:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Disregard.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Observing what the foreign "security guards" contracted to guard bases ect. in Iraq and Afghanistan, the rifles that these mutts received were bottom of the barrel (though they were issued new).    

Mostly semi-auto Century AKs, and occasionally a low tier AR.  These security guards were mostly from African regions, and were extremely undisciplined and damned near worthless.  Consider that in regard to how well the firearms were maintained.

Bottom tier rifle maintained by bottom tier discipline in a relatively unforgiving environment.  Yep, I will pass.
View Quote
I have personally seen some of the rifles in question, and all I can say is it was your loss.  What maintenance needs to be done on a weapon that isn't being fired and is staying in a near corrosion free environment?

Clean off the sand and grime and you have a rifle that is near new internally with some finish wear.  Not to mention the cool collectable factor of being able to own the only AR that was allowed to be imported back into the US for sale.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have personally seen some of the rifles in question, and all I can say is it was your loss.  What maintenance needs to be done on a weapon that isn't being fired and is staying in a near corrosion free environment?

Clean off the sand and grime and you have a rifle that is near new internally with some finish wear.  Not to mention the cool collectable factor of being able to own the only AR that was allowed to be imported back into the US for sale.
View Quote
It is a cheap sub-par AR to begin with.   If being being neglected by a third world hack serving as a speed bump gives it "cool factor," all the power to you.  There is absolutely nothing appealing to me about one of those rifles.  I can think of better guns to spend $400-$500 on.

Corrosion free environment?  That is funny $hit.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:31:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It is a cheap sub-par AR to begin with.   If being being neglected by a third world hack serving as a speed bump gives it "cool factor," all the power to you.  There is absolutely nothing appealing to me about one of those rifles.  I can think of better guns to spend $400-$500 on.

Corrosion free environment?  That is funny $hit.
View Quote
Relatively. No salt or moisture.

And I'll bet money that these rifles run better than the average M1 Carbine that's been sitting in a Korean warehouse for 50 years, but the whole community is clamoring for those to be re-imported. It's war providence on a modern military style rifle.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:09:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Relatively. No salt or moisture.

And I'll bet money that these rifles run better than the average M1 Carbine that's been sitting in a Korean warehouse for 50 years, but the whole community is clamoring for those to be re-imported. It's war providence on a modern military style rifle.
View Quote
A USGI M1 carbine is a quality firearm, with a colorful history, carried by our soldiers through decades of service, before landing up in possession of a S. Korean military preparing to fight for their survival against a very ugly enemy.  Yeah… that is cool.  

No salt or moisture?  Apparently, you have never been to Iraq or Afghanistan during the winter months.. especially in mountainous region.  Apparently, you have never seen condensation form in the early morning hours when sub freezing a.m. temps change to high heat in the day.   And apparently, people do not sweat (profusely).  Please, tell us more internet commando.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I doubt these guards were stationed in the mountains.  The dreaded morning dew you speak of didn't seem to corrode any of my ARs few corrosion susceptible parts.  Also, budget brand ARs are capable of building to different specs and tolerances when required to do so, DPMS was having that discussion on the forum.  What makes them budget is that they don't do that with ALL of their guns, obviously.  The contractor M4 were solid basic M4 types whether you like it or not.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I doubt these guards were stationed in the mountains.  The dreaded morning dew you speak of didn't seem to corrode any of my ARs few corrosion susceptible parts.  Also, budget brand ARs are capable of building to different specs and tolerances when required to do so, DPMS was having that discussion on the forum.  What makes them budget is that they don't do that with ALL of their guns, obviously.  The contractor M4 were solid basic M4 types whether you like it or not.
View Quote
More proof that you are talking out of your rear.  Have a nice day.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:49:40 PM EDT
[#16]
See ya, dog face.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#17]
In this thread I learned that condensation, sweat, and the former user's IQ will break an AR.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In this thread I learned that condensation, sweat, and the former user's IQ will break an AR.
View Quote
Hahaha
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
You forgot to include "cologne."

I got a contractor's 686, where the cologne had so permeated the S&W-supplied Hogue squish-rubber grip that no amount of effort and cleansing would remove the stench.

I still call that 686 "stinkbutt."

After all cleaning efforts (including bleach) failed, I double-bagged the original grips and put them outdoors in the trash.

Link Posted: 4/5/2017 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nobody said anything about breaking.  

I am saying that I would not personally paid $540 + shipping and transfer fees for a sub-entry level AR that for would sell at under Dunham's Sporting Goods for around $500 new... especially after the rifle was poorly cared for by undisciplined knuckleheads while residing in a shitty environment.  

Your superior I.Q. trumps multiple years of first hand experience and a little bit of common sense.  That is cool, what ever makes you feel better about yourself.  

Oops, sorry.  Forgot it also have the "LEO/Restricted" stamp on the side.  I can point you to a local dealer who perpetually has solid Windham Bushmaster A2 carbine LEO trade-ins with the same markings on the magwell for under $600 (especially if you have $$$ in hand, you can walk out the door with one for less).  Spending $600 for one of these rifles makes more sense to… but that is my low I.Q. talking.  

Have a nice day.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You forgot to include "cologne."

I got a contractor's 686, where the cologne had so permeated the S&W-supplied Hogue squish-rubber grip that no amount of effort and cleansing would remove the stench.

I still call that 686 "stinkbutt."

After all cleaning efforts (including bleach) failed, I double-bagged the original grips and put them outdoors in the trash.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/686-5/stinkbutt-smaller.jpg
View Quote
That is cool.  I also dig all the SIGs, and the old school S&W and Beretta autos popping up lately.  

…. we all also know that all "contractors" are not the same in regard to discipline, education, training and associated responsibilities.  The quality of firearm and equipment should be a reflection of the person carrying it.  Just because a firearms show heavy wear and abuse (or stinky!) doesn't mean that it wasn't well cared for.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Prices have dropped so low on quality MSR's that this makes sense only if you value it for collectability.  I can't understand why but to each his own.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:19:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I agree that these are / were not attractive at all for the price, I was referring to the contractor ARs that were imported from the middle east that were available a couple of years ago for $450.  That was what the "discussion" was about.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:05:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
.....Just because a firearms show heavy wear and abuse (or stinky!) doesn't mean that it wasn't well cared for.
View Quote
Uh, yeah, actually, it really does.  By definition.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:11:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Prices have dropped so low on quality MSR's that this makes sense only if you value it for collectability.  I can't understand why but to each his own.
View Quote
You bet.  But sometimes something just appeals to us for some reason and we just want what we want.  Contractor rifles and handguns don't hold much appeal for me, but I wouldn't mind picking up, say, an Israeli Mauser if I found one in decent shape at a reasonable price.
I don't care for German rifles and I don't much care about Israel particularly, but the irony of Nazi rifles being repurposed to defend a nascent Jewish state just does something for me.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top