Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2017 1:22:38 PM EDT
This is my latest A2 style build using a lightweight barrel, A1 type "E" buttstock (because I like them better), and a large head forward assist.

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It is slightly different, but it looks good.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I built an A2 with an A1 stock and a NOS Colt A1 barrel years ago and dubbed it an A1.5., wish I hadn't sold it.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:43:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Where did you get the buttstock from ? _thanks
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:16:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I built an A2 with an A1 stock and a NOS Colt A1 barrel years ago and dubbed it an A1.5., wish I hadn't sold it.  
View Quote
I did the same, and have the same regret.  It was incredibly accurate.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks good OP.

My A2 and my A4 have A1 Type E stocks.  I like 'em better than A2 stocks and can live with them not being THAT much different.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:49:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ditto, mine was a tack driver with lighter match bullets
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 5:48:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks good OP.

My A2 and my A4 have A1 Type E stocks.  I like 'em better than A2 stocks and can live with them not being THAT much different.
View Quote
Geez, and not to mention that meat tenderizer buttplate of the A2 , I hate those. LOL.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:12:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I purchased it on eBay along with a bunch of others that I used for various builds.  I try to buy A1 buttstocks that don't need to be restored and I usually just replace the buttplates with a new ones so they look nice.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Geez, and not to mention that meat tenderizer buttplate of the A2 , I hate those. LOL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks good OP.

Yeah I hate those A2 buttplates also.  I even put A1 buttplates on the A2 Buttstocks I have.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Cav Arms has them as well.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks good...
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Really? The perfect stock to me would be an A2 but the length of the A1. I never shot it with a wife beater on though so the butt plate didn't bother me...would bother anyone who had it slam into the side of their head or face I bet though.

The A2 stuff is also stronger, which is comforting to know if your going to the prone, quickly using the butt of the stock to break your fall. Not that I ever see a need for things like that anymore, but....better to have it and not need it and all that.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Really? The perfect stock to me would be an A2 but the length of the A1. I never shot it with a wife beater on though so the butt plate didn't bother me...would bother anyone who had it slam into the side of their head or face I bet though.

The A2 stuff is also stronger, which is comforting to know if your going to the prone, quickly using the butt of the stock to break your fall. Not that I ever see a need for things like that anymore, but....better to have it and not need it and all that.
View Quote
The Colt CS stock is made of A2 material but A1 length. It IS perfect.

I just use A1 stocks but prefer A2 buttplates.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Tell me more please, where can I get one!?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Usually mucho dinero, when they show up. Canada used them. Some Clot Sporter IIs used the CS marked stocks in the US.  The extra 5/8" or so of the A2 stock doesn't make much sense, the US Army Human Research and Engineering had that bright idea.

Quoted:

Yeah, I don't like the A2 buttplates. I am not wearing LCE/LBV or body armor just a T-shirt these days. LOL Never really noticed back then. I don't think it's so much the checkered pattern as it is the corners are not rounded like the A1 buttplate is.

The days of the 3 to 5 second rush are over so I don't think I need it to break my fall.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Colt CS buttstocks are relatively rare though they do turn up on eBay, GunBroker, and EE from time to time but are generally overpriced in the $125-$150 price range.  The sling loop is also all the way at the rear much like an A2 buttstock which I do not like personally but if you want the A2 look in a shorter buttstock it may be desirable.  I think the normal USGI A1 buttstocks hold up quite well especially considering that most of the ones we see are 30+ years old and have already been military tested.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The Colt CS buttstocks are relatively rare though they do turn up on eBay, GunBroker, and EE from time to time but are generally overpriced in the $125-$150 price range.  The sling loop is also all the way at the rear much like an A2 buttstock.  I think the normal USGI A1 buttstocks hold quite well especially considering that most of the ones we see are 30+ years old and have already been military tested.
View Quote
He's right the A2's are stronger made of DuPont zytel. The A1 buttplates are prone to cracking especially around the upper screw. I prefer the older stocks without the trapdoor on my A1 clones. SOPMOD collapsible on newer stuff. I am slowly piecing together a correct A2 clone.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Colt CS buttstocks are relatively rare though they do turn up on eBay, GunBroker, and EE from time to time but are generally overpriced in the $125-$150 price range.  The sling loop is also all the way at the rear much like an A2 buttstock which I do not like personally but if you want the A2 look in a shorter buttstock it may be desirable.  I think the normal USGI A1 buttstocks hold up quite well especially considering that most of the ones we see are 30+ years old and have already been military tested.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The most recent one I've seen on Gunbroker went for $350. I don't see any recent sales for them on eBay.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/625023102
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:06:08 AM EDT
[#20]
I like it!  It's not a clone, but not everything has to be a clone.  I prefer the A1 length stock myself, and a pencil barrel.  I'm still doing the happy dance from getting my SBR stamp, but long term, a 20" A2 is going to happen.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:30:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Did you shoot this one yet?  It looks real good!
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top