Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2017 9:52:59 AM EDT
Guys,

I have an original Bushmaster from 1994 post AWB.  It has the pinned mini Y comp installed.  While the muzzle brake does it's job and the rifle is accurate the device is quite loud.  I've looked into replacing the muzzle device but due to it being pinned it is quite a job to get it off and a new one pinned.  So, I thought I'd ask opinions on replacing the barrel, buying another upper or just leaving it be?
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:05:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I hate those brakes.   About 8 years ago I helped a guy get one off.

It took a lot of dremel cut off wheels and time.  Only put one or two small marks on the bbl when the dremel got away from me, and we got it off and replaced it.   Bbls are pretty cheap these days tho.

Would a new device need pinned?  14.5 bbl?
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes,  it's a 14.5" barrel and the new device would have to be 1.5" minimum and pinned.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I would get that noise amplifier off that barrel & replace it with an extended A2 FH asap.
During the ban I could not understand why bushy used those things, they should have used one of the many Fake Flash Hiders out there. Just being on the bench next to someone shooting a mini y comp equipped rifle is Bad, bushy is probably responsible for half the American shooting communities cases of tinnitus because of that thing!
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Exactly why I'm looking to change it out.  I rarely shoot it now due to the noise and in deference to shooters around me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:00:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you see the pin/weld location?  Clearly?
If so, a cut off wheel, drill press and patience is all you need.

Do you have the capability to re pin/weld? If not, and nobody local to do it, pull the bbl, sell it on the EE. Replace with another. Provided you are comfortable doing that work?

If not, PSA has great deals on complete uppers. Throw yours in the safe, on the EE, or sell local. Pin on a new upper and shoot away.

Tig
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#6]
A couple years ago, I picked up a carbine with BM 14.5" HBAR upper assembly from 1994 that had a pinned and welded AK-74 type muzzle brake. The first thing I did was order a BCM extended A2 FH and then carefully cut off the existing brake with a Dremel tool and a good cut-off wheel. With some patience, it can be done without messing up the barrel or the threads.

Before:
Attachment Attached File

After:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#7]
you need to talk to John Thomas at retro arms works. he is the best  for that  kind of work.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Case of beer is my going rate for this mod.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I've cut some of the pinned mini-y comps off of the ban era barrels, they are pinned at the 12 and 6 o'clock position.  I heavily duct tape the barrel behind the comp, cut the comp with a pneumatic 3" cut off tool to about 1/4" away from the muzzle then score the comp at 12 and 16.  At the this point I use a thick wedge chisel and split the comp off of the barrel (Caution: don't strike the muzzle crown).  You may need to run a 1/2-28 die over the barrel threads to clean it up a little.  Have your new pin ready muzzle device handy, install and properly time it then drill your pin pocket in the barrel (Caution: don't drill through the barrel).  This is the point where you install the pin and weld over it before the alphabet agency breaks down the door.  

If this is not for you find a gunsmith with some experience with this.  ADCO provides this service, check them out.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A couple years ago, I picked up a carbine with BM 14.5" HBAR upper assembly from 1994 that had a pinned and welded AK-74 type muzzle brake. The first thing I did was order a BCM extended A2 FH and then carefully cut off the existing brake with a Dremel tool and a good cut-off wheel. With some patience, it can be done without messing up the barrel or the threads.

Before:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/76904/001-137416.JPG

After:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/76904/BMDPMS-14-137417.JPG
View Quote
I use a 74 break on my pistol...  
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top