Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/21/2017 12:42:38 AM EDT
Had parts for these spread out on the work table for a few years and finally got the last pieces in the mail to get them built on the same day (twins!)

The 727 started with an FK upper and a Nodak A2 lower. I picked up a Daniel Defense 14.5 m4 barrel on clearance from brownells and added one of their non-F marked FSB's. Used a Nodak two position tube with bushmaster lock ring for both. Brownells also sells a DPMS LPK with a QMS trigger so I went with that for both guns.

I planned on having the LPK's re-parked but most of the parts already had a nice dark gray manganese finish except the bolt catch which was noticeably black. Substituted a Stag selector for the more A2-ish tick mark. Also, the the QMS trigger and pins also came with  a nice gray as well.

Furniture for both are repro 6 holes, Colt A2 grips, and M&A parts stocks. Also used a couple of ar15sport gray trigger guards.

The 723 is in a temporary configuration because it's using a colt M4A1 socom barrel assembly I had on hand. Later I'll replace it with a suitable pencil barrel for an early 723 and add a gray delta ring. Upper is a colt with a large head forward assist.

Both 14.5 barrels were sent off to John Thomas for his spacer and pin/weld. I think this is the best option to bring to legal length. Only a faint line can be seen and is hardly noticeable at arms length. He also parked various small parts and pinned on and re-parked the FSB on the 727. Great work, fair prices, and super fast turn-around!

Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:31:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks great! 727 is my favorite configuration.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks very good!

I have a similar build too.

One is in FDE Durakote with Magpul Bounty Hunter pattern furniture, and another is in black with a Tactical Machining Rebel Flag 80% Lower.

Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Super freaking nice.  Give me a 723 with a waffle stock and double heats, a light and I'm all set.  Well, for HD.  I might need to top it off with an optic for GP use.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:51:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks very good!

I have a similar build too.

One is in FDE Durakote with Magpul Bounty Hunter pattern furniture, and another is in black with a Tactical Machining Rebel Flag 80% Lower.

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t381/wjoutlaw2009/Mobile%20Uploads/20170105_144539.jpg

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t381/wjoutlaw2009/Mobile%20Uploads/20161015_175424.jpg
View Quote

Nice! And that reminds me....I need to get some paracord so I can rig up my GP strap for a sling!
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:03:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Super freaking nice.  Give me a 723 with a waffle stock and double heats, a light and I'm all set.  Well, for HD.  I might need to top it off with an optic for GP use.
View Quote

Ya I have to agree a 723-ish gun is just about the perfect little no BS fighting carbine. Perhaps more so with the socom barrel. Once I get more rounds through the 727 (only one mag through it for function check so far) it will take over HD duties once I add the 6P on it via barrel mount. Probably upgrade the 6P bulb to LED as well.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are describing my dream rifle.
I am taking a hard look at the Troy M16A2 "Mogadishu" carbine. Would add waffle stock and double heat shield handguards.
The N1 buttstock just doesn't work for me. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

723 and 727 AR are best AR!
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

I should've said, with an A2 aperture.  If my eyes were young, I'd say the 727 is the better choice because I used to be able to shoot a carbine sight radius at distance and might need to dial in some elevation.  But now if I'm going to shoot a carbine any distance, I kind of need an optic.  So the A1 upper receiver weighs less.  

I do like the ghostring for HD/ CQB distances.   Low light, etc.   The front sight is blurry as heck but I find that at close distances a target focus is working well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:46:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Fleet,  Nice pair of carbines!  I built a 723 BHD several years ago with a C7 upper and eventually used the barrel for an M4.  I now have that same barrel and looking for a reasonably priced used A2 upper for a 727.  I sold 3 other A2 uppers I had and felt like I should keep one at the time but didn't.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Very nice set of carbines.  They look great.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey Wildcat, how do you like that sling set up?  What sling exactly is it and what is that attachment method on the rear stock it looks like you added?  I keep trying to figure out a sling set up for my go to carbine.  

Man I love that gun.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 1:20:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hey Wildcat, how do you like that sling set up?  What sling exactly is it and what is that attachment method on the rear stock it looks like you added?  I keep trying to figure out a sling set up for my go to carbine.  

Man I love that gun.
View Quote

It's a Frank Proctor Way of the Gun sling.  I've been happy with it so far.  I like that it's lightweight, minimalist, and doesn't look entirely out of place on a more retro gun while still allowing quick adjustment.  I took the factory sling loop off the toe of the stock, drilled a hole through the stock, and reattached.  Perhaps not the most tacticool setup, but it works and was free.

Link Posted: 1/24/2017 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Had parts for these spread out on the work table for a few years and finally got the last pieces in the mail to get them built on the same day (twins!)

The 727 started with an FK upper and a Nodak A2 lower. I picked up a Daniel Defense 14.5 m4 barrel on clearance from brownells and added one of their non-F marked FSB's. Used a Nodak two position tube with bushmaster lock ring for both. Brownells also sells a DPMS LPK with a QMS trigger so I went with that for both guns.

I planned on having the LPK's re-parked but most of the parts already had a nice dark gray manganese finish except the bolt catch which was noticeably black. Substituted a Stag selector for the more A2-ish tick mark. Also, the the QMS trigger and pins also came with  a nice gray as well.

Furniture for both are repro 6 holes, Colt A2 grips, and M&A parts stocks. Also used a couple of ar15sport gray trigger guards.

The 723 is in a temporary configuration because it's using a colt M4A1 socom barrel assembly I had on hand. Later I'll replace it with a suitable pencil barrel for an early 723 and add a gray delta ring. Upper is a colt with a large head forward assist.

Both 14.5 barrels were sent off to John Thomas for his spacer and pin/weld. I think this is the best option to bring to legal length. Only a faint line can be seen and is hardly noticeable at arms length. He also parked various small parts and pinned on and re-parked the FSB on the 727. Great work, fair prices, and super fast turn-around!

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b450/fleet777/image_zpsbrfrqgap.jpeg

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b450/fleet777/image_zpsn6fvh8mc.jpeg

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b450/fleet777/image_zpszoosgkhz.jpeg
View Quote

Those turned out really, really nice!  Let us know how they shoot
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Those turned out really, really nice!  Let us know how they shoot
View Quote

Thanks! Will do, only put a mag through for a function test. Itching for a nice day to get them zeroed
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top