Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/20/2017 4:09:50 PM EDT
I just bought a Top sling adapter kit. It has the wire  hanger for the front sight and the web with the loop for the butt stock.  When were these first issued/used/  I never saw one while I served.  Any ideas/experience with them and could it be correct on an A-2 or A-1?  Thanks  Brian
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 5:32:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I was an 0311 in the USMC 87-91.  I carried a 203 A2 most of my time.  I was issued the wire hanger portion, can't remember a strap.  It allowed to have somewhat of a ready position carry with the 203.  Like most things in the Corp back then, you made what you were given work.  We were issued M-1951 Korea cold weather gear for winter training at Bridgeport, Ca at 10k feet elevation.  It worked but could have been better.  The wool long underwear they gave me were so stretched out, I had to safety pin the waist so they wouldn't fall off.  My point;  there are much better sling options out there, they will not be period correct though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just bought a Top sling adapter kit. It has the wire  hanger for the front sight and the web with the loop for the butt stock.  When were these first issued/used/  I never sow one while I served.  Any ideas/experience with them and could it be correct on an A-2 or A-1?  Thanks  Brian
View Quote

Been around since the 1970's.

They suck balls....unless your a rear echelon _ _ on an XVIII Airborne Corps ruck march.

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/m16a1  on page 7
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I was in the 82nd in the early 90's and I had the wire sling adapter on my 203 with an M-60 machine gun sling. I liked the set up. Made for a fairly comfortable carry even though the A2 stock only had the sling attachment on the bottom.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Early 90s at Ft.Bragg. I remember them being issued for the M16/M203 combos.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Late 80s-early 90's
Rarely saw the wire things, if so, on the 203s only, usually with a M60 sling, usually guys would run the sling through the front sight housing itself and ditch the wire thing.  The stock adapter or some hobbled together strap on the stock was more common.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I bet they're still issued as I saw some kits manufactured in 2004
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top