Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2016 2:58:54 PM EDT
I started out with this PSA premium rifle and changed a few things.  Mainly, I have swapped out the upper receiver with an A2 (i'll get pics shortly).  Is this configuration with the A2 upper, M4 buttstock and double heat shield hand guards correct for any build that was considered an A2?  Also, I'll stay with the 16" barrel so I don't have to SBR it.

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Might want to make sure the A2 has or doesn't have feedramps to match your barrel extension. Word has it that the Isrealis have some A2 carbines with M4 feed ramps on rifle ramps on the upper, if that's something you're wanting to do.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Forgot to mention, the extension has M4 feed ramps but the upper has no feed ramps.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Forgot to mention, the extension has M4 feed ramps but the upper has no feed ramps.
View Quote

That is okay to have that combo. You do not want a barrel with rifle feedramps on the barrel extension and M4 feedramps on the receiver.

As far as your build goes, the only thing close would have been the Colt Model 727 or Colt XM4. The Model 727 had 6-hole carbine handguards and a fiberlite CAR buttstock. The XM4 had the fatter M4 type handguards and the fiberlite CAR buttstock. Originally, both of these would have had 14.5" barrel with the M203 cuts (what is now referred to as a M4 profile barrel).

For a reference, here is a clone of the Model 727 I built.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The XM4 would look very similar, except with the M4 type handguards. The waffle stock you have did not show up until later on the M4. Even some early M4s had the fiberlite CAR stock.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:14:13 AM EDT
[#4]
jrs93accord is right.  But the fiberlight stock is still widely used in the army on the M4.  My last deployment in 2012-13, I probably saw 50/50 with waffle stock and fiber light on conventional and SF.  The waffle stock seems to be regularly used on a wide variation of carbines by the Israeli military.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Pic updated with new A2 upper...

I didn't think about other military/LE outside of the US.  I think I saw a pic from the Russian ambassador shooting in Turkey where LE had an M4 type rifle with an A2 upper.  I like my config a little better than the original M4 as my hands are large and the hand guard feels comfortable, and I just prefer the look of the M4 buttstock
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I started out with this PSA premium rifle and changed a few things.  Mainly, I have swapped out the upper receiver with an A2 (i'll get pics shortly).  Is this configuration with the A2 upper, M4 buttstock and double heat shield hand guards correct for any build that was considered an A2?  Also, I'll stay with the 16" barrel so I don't have to SBR it.
View Quote

Does that have an m4 gas block sight post assembly or an A2?  I am looking to do the same thing but want to make sure it can be sighted in correctly.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Does that have an m4 gas block sight post assembly or an A2?  I am looking to do the same thing but want to make sure it can be sighted in correctly.
View Quote

It's an F-marked FSB.  If you can get a non F-marked FSB that would be great but if all you can get is F marked...they work fine too.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 2:03:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Unless you're trying to build an accurate clone, I'd say if you like it it's correct. It's a nice looking gun.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Unless you're trying to build an accurate clone, I'd say if you like it it's correct. It's a nice looking gun.
View Quote

Thanks.  I'm not trying to make an accurate clone of any particular rifle.  I was more just wondering if what I built was in actual issued rifle somewhere. I had never personally seen this configuration in the wild but thought the collective knowledge in the forum may have.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I think for the most part, M4's have been sporting rails in the service for a long long time now.  It's rare you get a glimpse of any carbine in the service with double heats, or car handgaurds on.  I've personally never seen that exact set up in a pic, but I think it's a possible set up.

If you don't want to SBR and your really need the look, you can have someone pin and weld a FH.  Either a normal A2 by going 14.7 or an extended A2 FH and go 14.5.....
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:12:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I have been swapping out the M4 upper receivers for A2 upper receivers for a while to get the early A2 look.
The quickest way for me is to just buy a complete M4 upper on sale and then use it for making an A2.
Install some skinny 6 or 7 hole hand guards.
Ron
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#12]
here is a clone of the Model 727 I built
View Quote

Must agree that this is my favorite A2 carbine configuration (A2 upper with M4 barrel)!

For a contemporary build with a 16in barrel, the mid-length A2 16in barrel profile, with A2 upper, mid-length A2 profile hand guards, and late A1 fixed stock--is always a winning configuration (call it an A2 Compact).
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:58:24 AM EDT
[#13]
If anyone needs original usgi big button FAs for an early A2 build Big Button FAs
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top