Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2016 3:12:35 PM EDT
With the pending Assault Weapon ban/registration happening here in California, I figured I needed to add a classic A2 style carbine to my stable.
I was always in love with the basic A2 and Black Friday was my opportunity to get one started.
I already had a few different lowers on hand with LPKs , a few different handguards, a couple BCGs and some misc parts, so I ordered the following....

14.5 pinned/welded barrel from Numerich ( hopefully without canted sight )
A2  Upper New from Numerich, the $79 one
Rear sight assembly from Sarco ( hopefully not rusted )
CAR stock w/ 4 position assembly from Model 1 Sales

Once it is all built, I may or may not try to hunt down a slim handguard, will have to see how it looks and feels.
I will post pics here once all the parts arrive and it is built next week. Please don't make fun of my stupid cali bullet button :)
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#1]
There were some police trade in Bushmasters in that configuration on Gunbroker for $520 shipped a little while ago, and I regret not picking one up. They had Surefire handguards and flashlights too.

I'm in the middle of a 20" A2 build, and I'm excited for it to be finished.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:20:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I got my skinny handguard from Brownells. Just an FYI if you end up looking for one.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got my skinny handguard from Brownells. Just an FYI if you end up looking for one.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check them out.

I got a bunch of the parts yesterday and assembled what I could.
First time putting together a rear sight assembly went good, although the windage roll pin was crazy tight. The pin actually started to bend a little, but I stopped and reevaluated what was going on before it was too late. Made an improvised tool to support it better while seating it. After building dozens of rifles, this had to be THE tightest roll pin I ever encountered. I actually bent 2 punches.
Realized half way into it I didn't have a 1/16" allen, so I used a 1.5mm and it worked OK. Will pickup the correct one today and make sure it is tightened.
Just received a magpul BEV Block. Anxious to try it when the barrel arrives. It looks well thought out and sturdy. Way heavier than I expected.
Here is what i have so far.

More pics to come when it is finished.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks great so far!
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Barrel showed up today. It is definitely chrome lined. Front sight block is straight, no cant. WooHoo.
I had forgotten I had an old front sight sitting in a drawer, so I harvested the sight post,spring and detent from it. Ordered a sling swivel and rivet.
Install went smooth. Hit gas tube alignment around 60foot lbs.
I'm thinking it needs some better handguards.
Any suggestions on how slim a handguard would be appropriate for a build like this?

Sorry for the crappy pic, better ones to come.

Link Posted: 12/7/2016 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Chrome lining

Link Posted: 12/7/2016 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Barrel showed up today. It is definitely chrome lined. Front sight block is straight, no cant. WooHoo.
I had forgotten I had an old front sight sitting in a drawer, so I harvested the sight post,spring and detent from it. Ordered a sling swivel and rivet.
Install went smooth. Hit gas tube alignment around 60foot lbs.
I'm thinking it needs some better handguards.
Any suggestions on how slim a handguard would be appropriate for a build like this?

Sorry for the crappy pic, better ones to come.

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj512/savagemann69/20161207_155135_zpspkn0wlw2.jpg
View Quote

Looking good. You need some skinny carbine hand guards. You can usually find both original Colt ($$$) and aftermarket versions in the EE, and DS Arms has some new ones for a good price.

https://www.dsarms.com/p-14109-dsa-ar15-car-handguard-tapered-with-heat-shield.aspx
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 1:53:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Looking good. You need some skinny carbine hand guards. You can usually find both original Colt ($) and aftermarket versions in the EE, and DS Arms has some new ones for a good price.

https://www.dsarms.com/p-14109-dsa-ar15-car-handguard-tapered-with-heat-shield.aspx
View Quote

Thanks!
I just snagged a set of the ones from DSG! DSArms!
Not a bad deal.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:19:36 AM EDT
[#9]
While I wait for my DSA handguard to show up, I had forgotten I ordered a handguard from Damage Industries for a different project on Black Friday. They were $6 shipped! . These are 7 hole, but are slim. Looks way better than the stumpy M4 handguard.

Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks good.  I'm working on a 20" A2 build and can't wait to finish it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Outstanding finished product!
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys. Will be test firing/sighting in on sunday. Will post up the results.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 1:16:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Got to the range today and setup at 25yds to sight in.
Set mechanical zero on front and rear sights.
I started with pmc bronze at a 3" dot to see how close to zero I was.
I was a lot closer than I thought I would be.

So I went to the 25m zero target with pmc and got this.

Adjusted 2 clicks on the front sight and 7 on the rear windage then fired 10 rounds of pmc.

Then moved out to 50yds and tested wolf steel case.

Then wolf gold @ 50yds.

Then a basic 55gr reload with 25gr of H335 @ 50yds

I was very happy with the results. It was shooting about 2moa and I almost never shoot with irons. Usually a red dot or some kind of magnified optic.
Had zero malfunctions and tested a few other types of ammo as well.
I will most likely work up a load for this rifle and see how it does.
I may also change the front sight post and see if it helps my focus. I was having some issues today. After I hit 40, my eyes haven't been the same.
Also, got the handguard from DSArms.

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice build and range report!
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 5:50:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Well done!!
Any chance of a close up of the DSA's on the weapon?
Thx
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Very nice! Gives me ideas for the spare A2 upper receiver and stripped lower I have laying around
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 9:16:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks everyone. Here are a couple closeups of the DSA handguards.

Link Posted: 12/22/2016 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice range report and cool build!!  The carbine sight radius really is no help for older eyes.    It still looks like really good shooting!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Definitely no cant to that front sight.  Others have had different luck.  
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_127/705249_Numrich-A2-14-5-pin-weld-barrel-and-New-Raw-Finish-A2-Carbine-Build.html
Looks like a really nice RO727 copy.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 2:25:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_127/705249_Numrich-A2-14-5-pin-weld-barrel-and-New-Raw-Finish-A2-Carbine-Build.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks Tslepebull!
Yea, I was reading about the canted sights and got worried. Glad I ordered one though. I did take comfort in the fact that they have been responsive to the issue though.
I was extremely happy with the few clicks it took to get it zero'd. :)

Quoted:
Nice range report and cool build!!  The carbine sight radius really is no help for older eyes.    It still looks like really good shooting!!!

Thank you JJREA!
I recently ordered a KNS front sight post pack.
I might try one of the posts from that to see if it helps me focus. We'll see.
Another thing,I found it really hard to focus on the 3" dots at 50yds. I think if the target was a color other than black, it might help.
I'll probably print out some various targets and see what works best with irons for me.

Happy Holidays!
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I really hate this God forsaken state and its stupid gun laws.  But glad you made it under the deadline.  Well done on the build and good shooting OP!
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 5:21:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks Tslepebull!
Yea, I was reading about the canted sights and got worried. Glad I ordered one though. I did take comfort in the fact that they have been responsive to the issue though.
I was extremely happy with the few clicks it took to get it zero'd. :)

Thank you JJREA!
I recently ordered a KNS front sight post pack.
I might try one of the posts from that to see if it helps me focus. We'll see.
Another thing,I found it really hard to focus on the 3" dots at 50yds. I think if the target was a color other than black, it might help.
I'll probably print out some various targets and see what works best with irons for me.

Happy Holidays!
View Quote

Are the front posts wider than standard or what?  I never heard of those.  Another thing a guy could try is a smaller rear ap.  I've debated that one for a while.  If you go to small it's just no good for practical uses.  But for close quarters especially in low light, I'm using the ghostring anyways.  

Another guy posted these A2 rears that has a piece of sort of magnifying glass so to speak in the rear ap and helps clear everything up.  And supposedly they were legal in HiPower shooting.  I've never seen one in real life.  I've seen guys put those things on their glasses that are small little holes to help them focus I guess it is.  

Honestly, I'm not sure you can shoot much better with the ammo you are using.  Even with an optic.  I personally wouldn't be fretting about it.  That group you got with wolf at 50 yards is about as good as I've ever seen.  I did shoot wolf at 25 meters just sitting once and I thought it grouped rather decent.  I'll see if I can post a pic.

I think that was all wolf.  Or at least part of it.  Your group at 50 is smaller than my 25 meter group.  So.......  Not that I'm some great shot or anything.....

Link Posted: 12/23/2016 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Are the front posts wider than standard or what?  I never heard of those.  Another thing a guy could try is a smaller rear ap.  I've debated that one for a while.  If you go to small it's just no good for practical uses.  But for close quarters especially in low light, I'm using the ghostring anyways.  

Another guy posted these A2 rears that has a piece of sort of magnifying glass so to speak in the rear ap and helps clear everything up.  And supposedly they were legal in HiPower shooting.  I've never seen one in real life.  I've seen guys put those things on their glasses that are small little holes to help them focus I guess it is.  

Honestly, I'm not sure you can shoot much better with the ammo you are using.  Even with an optic.  I personally wouldn't be fretting about it.  That group you got with wolf at 50 yards is about as good as I've ever seen.  I did shoot wolf at 25 meters just sitting once and I thought it grouped rather decent.  I'll see if I can post a pic.

I think that was all wolf.  Or at least part of it.  Your group at 50 is smaller than my 25 meter group.  So.......  Not that I'm some great shot or anything.....  The big holes lower were my 9mm pistol.  G26 that day.  
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o475/NomadABPos/2016%20guns/0a098b3f-3976-47d9-ba52-bdbfba36f586_zpspujnlvlm.jpg

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o475/NomadABPos/2016%20guns/IMG_5192_zpshkk4817z.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/23/2016 11:57:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I really hate this God forsaken state and its stupid gun laws.  But glad you made it under the deadline.  Well done on the build and good shooting OP!
View Quote

Thank you!
I agree about our insane laws. Maybe things will change, but I'm doubtful.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 12:06:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think that was all wolf.  Or at least part of it.  Your group at 50 is smaller than my 25 meter group.  So.......  Not that I'm some great shot or anything.....
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o475/NomadABPos/2016%20guns/0a098b3f-3976-47d9-ba52-bdbfba36f586_zpspujnlvlm.jpg

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o475/NomadABPos/2016%20guns/IMG_5192_zpshkk4817z.jpg
View Quote

Thanks JJ.
The problem I have with the standard front sight and AK sights as well, is the top of the sight will blend into a black target. I even sooted it up with a bic lighter before shooting.
The KNS sight pack is a great way to experiment with shifting your focus.
When I got my first AK, back in 2012, I had similar issues. Switched to the KNS front post and it helped my focus quite a bit. I went from 2-3" groups, to 1-2" groups instantly. Now all my AKs have the same post.
I used the smallest "ball" front post then.
Here is a link to the AR KNS pack I just ordered. I'm thinking I will most likely run the smaller "ball" post. But I will try them all and see how they work.
Zoom in on the picture.............
KNS Sight Pack Amazon

I don't know for sure it will help, but I did with the AK.

Here is a target from testing my 12" pistol build. Using a red dot @ 50 yards.
Look at the wolf steel target. I have always been impressed with the wolf steel black box.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Well it used to be the best price.  But now when I go to dunhams I see it for 9.99 for a box of 20.  And my head just about explodes.  I saw American Eagle black box .223 pressure 55 grain FMJ for 6.44 at walmart yesterday.  But I'm also in Alabama and I'm not sure if prices are just cheaper down here.  I should've bought some but really if I buy ammo I usually try to buy 5.56.  They did have that 150 round box of American Eagle green box loose XM855 but it was like 70 bucks and I didn't think that was much of a deal.

If I see 55 grain wolf for real cheap, I'll get it though.  I like to see if my guns run on it.  And yeah, it usually seems to group just fine.  For the most part.  I don't think my 20"er shoots it all that well.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#27]
So I had mentioned previously that I was having problems focusing on the front sight.
I ordered a set of the KNS posts and installed the medium ball post.

Finally got around to testing it yesterday using PMC Bronze.
It was much better. Only had a chance to test it out at 25yds as we were running short on time.

Adjusted the rear sight 1 click to the left.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top