Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2016 11:09:35 PM EDT
The wife and I had some unexpected medical bills about a year and a half ago. I ended up having to sell my A2 rifle build and my 727 build.

Recently I came into a small, unexpected, inheritance. The wife and I talked and she agreed that it was time to rebuild what had been sold off. So I've been piecing things together and putting the parts in a box. Well, I got a little bored and impatient tonight, so I built up both lowers. I'm still waiting for my barrels to come in from Windham and I have an A2 upper in the white that will be sent to Victor at US Anodizing once they have an opening. Other than that, everything has been purchased. Now it's just a waiting game.

A2:
Cerro Forge black A2 upper from the EE (sent to Windham to be assembled and test fired with my barrel on order).
A2 sight assembly from the EE
PSA Premium, unmarked BCG (also sent to Windham).
Windham 20" A2 profile barrel kit - will switch out the crush washer with a peel washer when I get the upper back.
Nodak A2 lower
Unknown LPK - I've had it for years. Probably Stag
RRA A2 stock kit (oiled to turn it more black)
Green GI web sling

727:
Cerro Forge A2 upper with M4 ramps. In the white, bought from Numrich. To be sent to US Anodizing.
A2 sight from Fulton, other upper parts from PSA.
PSA Premium, unmarked BCG
Windham 14.5" M4 profile barrel with permanently attached A2X.
RRA CAR 6-hole handguards
Nodak A1 lower
PSA LPK
Fulton CAR stock kit
CAR style lock ring from the EE
Field expedient sling from the EE

Sorry for the crappy ipotato pic

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.  Glad that you are back in black.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:34:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I still had my SBR, but these two builds always felt 'right'. Now I get to recreate them, better than before.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Just got word that the completed A2 upper is on it's way back. Should be here tomorrow.

14.5 barrel for the 727 is still on B/O, though.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Congratulations on building again what you had to sell. I might be doing the opposite here soon.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congratulations on building again what you had to sell. I might be doing the opposite here soon.
View Quote

I hate that feeling and remember it well. My personal advice: unless you get a great deal on the whole setup, save at least the stripped lower for later. These are uncertain times...I'd hesitate to give up a lower right now.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Good news/bad news day.

Good news:
Second barrel shipped
First barrel arrived

Bad news:
They didn't cut the M4 ramps into the A2 Upper I sent them. Waiting on Erik at WW to get back to me about what happened.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:33:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I purchased the same unfinished A2 upper in the white from Numrich. I have several more 80% lowers that are needing completing so, I think I'm going to put together either a CAR style or A2 style copy next. See what a raw in the white rifle looks like.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 6:25:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I purchased the same unfinished A2 upper in the white from Numrich. I have several more 80% lowers that are needing completing so, I think I'm going to put together either a CAR style or A2 style copy next. See what a raw in the white rifle looks like.
View Quote

That sounds cool! Can't wait to see it.

Are you concerned with durability issues with no surface treatment?
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at all, aluminum doesn't corrode like steel and is very stable. I use KNS pins in all my 80% lowers to keep the hammer and trigger holes from egging out, even though they shouldn't really need it. The more it is used the darker the aluminum should get with carbon fouling and lube. Should develop an interesting patina over time.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I was more referring to the surface hardness that anodizing provides. The bcg being made of steel and untreated aluminum has me wary of throwing my 727 together now that the barrel is here.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was more referring to the surface hardness that anodizing provides. The bcg being made of steel and untreated aluminum has me wary of throwing my 727 together now that the barrel is here.
View Quote

It will wear to a certain point then stop once all the parts have "mated together".
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Windham sent me a return label for my rifle upper yesterday, so that's on it's way back to get the ramps cut.

In the mean time I felt like doing a mock-up of the 727 upper. I agree that the A2X that Windham uses is a bit longer than others I've seen, but it doesn't look bad.

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I have used 2 of these FHs.  I think they are the best looking extended A2.  I believe theses are closer to the BCM Ext A2 that used to be sold.  The current BCM look long.

Extended A2 FH
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I have used 2 of these FHs. I think they are the best looking extended A2. I believe theses are closer to the BCM Ext A2 that used to be sold. The current BCM look long.
View Quote

I prefer the look of a muzzle brake jam nut and then a regular A2 flash hider - cheaper too.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Got my upper back from Windham with the M4 ramps cut. I'm very impressed with how it turned out.

Now if I can just get Victor from US Anodizing to get back to me as to when I can send in my other upper, I could get the 727 done too!

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Gorgeous! My absolute favorite AR-15/M16 configuration.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:22:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Thanks guys. The more rifles I build, the more I like the simpler set ups.

I just heard from Victor at US Anodizing today and I'll be sending my upper for the 727 in today or tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+1 here too

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:41:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Still waiting for my upper..
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:05:22 PM EDT
[#21]
And a month later...........

FINALLY!

Oddly enough, I had to rob the standard endplate off the 727 the other week to make something happen on another project in a pinch. I figured, no big deal - the upper was still at US Anodizing. Guess what showed up two days later.

So my replacement endplate showed up today, and here we are. Finally. Done.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Wooooohooooooooo!!!!!

Now shoot them and take some pics outdoors for us.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#23]
A great looking pair of rifles you built there. Very nice.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Sweetness! Feels so good to get some long awaited builds done
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top