Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2016 5:21:08 PM EDT
I'm wondering if you gentlemen have some recommendations as how best to test the  accuracy of a new batch of ammo from an A2 rifle? More specifically, I'm thinking of mounting a scope to try to eliminate as much human error as possible from my accuracy results. Do you have any recommendations as to what you've had success with in the past in mounting a scope on your carry handles and wringing the best accuracy from your A2? I'm looking at the A.R.M.S. # 02 mount, but I've considered getting an ACOG with an A2 mount, even though most are lower magnification. Any suggestions and help are appreciated, thank you!
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I have shot my a2 out 500 yards, while i wasnt checking for groups i was more into hits. A2s with there sights can be very accurate. Good trigger and good barrel is where its all at.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have shot my a2 out 500 yards, while i wasnt checking for groups i was more into hits. A2s with there sights can be very accurate. Good trigger and good barrel is where its all at.
View Quote

Thank you, sir! In fact, I'm attempting to sight in a NM A2 version for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle shooting. I have the sights, the barrel, the full meal deal. Now it just comes down to figuring out how to minimize shooter error through those precise, yet non-magnified iron sights. I'm hoping I'll be able to see the target better with a magnified optic and sort the wheat from the chaff, ammo-wise.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#3]
My first AR was an A2 20" govt' profile and I did quite a bit of shooting and testing of accuracy with a scope on the handle.  I used the very mount you are referring to and was always happy with it.  I'd post pics of my A2 and the 2x7 leupy I had on it, but they are on snapfish and I can't for the life of me figure out how to find the url for them now.  They changed their site about 6 months ago and I'm lost.  Plus it seemed like it wouildn't allow me to dl to them to my computer and then host them on another site.  They were from so long ago I had them on a different computer.  

I personally don't mind a scope on a carry handle.  I just posted my experiences about all that in an M1A thread, about the "chin weld" comments and I will link that page to you.  I get sick of saying it over and over again and I think people that whine about not good cheek weld have never really tried it and are just repeating what other people say and for some reason think everyone should have a flat top.  

Also on the page is a range session I had with an A1 and a 4x scope on the carry handle.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have done as well with it without the scope on the handle.  Seeing your target better will help you test accuracy for which round is good in your gun.  I think that's smart.  

chinweldohmygodyou'regonnadieNOThehehehe
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 1:30:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My first AR was an A2 20" govt' profile and I did quite a bit of shooting and testing of accuracy with a scope on the handle.  I used the very mount you are referring to and was always happy with it.  I'd post pics of my A2 and the 2x7 leupy ...

I personally don't mind a scope on a carry handle.  I just posted my experiences about all that in an M1A thread, about the "chin weld" comments and I will link that page to you.  ...

Also on the page is a range session I had with an A1 and a 4x scope on the carry handle.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have done as well with it without the scope on the handle.  Seeing your target better will help you test accuracy for which round is good in your gun.  I think that's smart.  

chinweldohmygodyou'regonnadieNOThehehehe
View Quote

Much thanks, sir! That's precisely what I was hoping to hear. In fact, I was tempted to buy on of the original Colt 3x20 scopes similar to the one you have on your A1, but a decent one runs almost 40% the price of a new ACOG. I'd still prefer more magnification to ensure I'm aiming small, missing small :-) I have a couple scopes I could put on the A.R.M.S. mount, but wanted to leave my options open for other ideas, like yours, the ACOG thing, etc.

If anyone else has ideas, I'd love to hear them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#5]
if you have good vision or good glasses, you can get very accurate results by just using the A2 iron sights out to 100 yards. I couldn't believe the groups I got with my FN M16A2 USGI upper at 100yds just with the iron sights using hornady 75gr bthp hand loads.
I had to reshoot the groups to confirm, but I was getting 0.85 to 1" 3 shot groups (yes I know 3 shots aren't the best but I didn't want the group to open up with 5 lol) at 100yds from a bench rest with the A2 iron sights.

Ive since swapped uppers out for an A4 to turn it into a M16A4 clone but haven't tried any groups with it scoped yet
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:21:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Smoke your front post.

Shoot prone, with 30rd monopod if need be. Unless you can shoot from the bench NTCH without forcing it.

6 MOA black circle on buff, preferably on an overcast day.

With a good Natural Point of Aim, move your sight picture to the side of the bull, set your elevation, then let it slide over till the target is in the middle.

What load? I'd say stick to the standard ones +/-0.3gr.

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top