Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/4/2016 7:55:34 PM EDT
Been doing a lot of reading lately here on the A2 forum and amazed at the amount of info with the archives and what not. So kudos to all for the fun reading. That said, I'm not entirely new to the AR platform as I've been tinkering with them on and off for the last 20 years or so.

Lately however, I've been wanting replicate/build a copy of my old Colt A2. I've been thinking the place to start is sourcing an A2 Colt upper receiver. And to my surprise, I can't believe the prices that Colt A2 upper receivers are bringing. I understand supply and demand, but I'm just amazed at what these used receivers are selling for. Anywhere from $250-300 on average. Just a observation as I remember you could hardly give these away years ago. Everyone falling over themselves for flat tops etc. Anyhow, it's interesting to see. Wish a few more companies would recognize the new demand for all things A2.

Best,

Ruddyhair
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#1]
It seems that in the past year and a half, there has been a lot more interest in the A2s. More guys are going back to the old school setups. Even the retro ARs have become very popular over the past couple of years. Basically, what was once old, is new again. With the new found interest in the A1 and A2 configurations, prices for the receivers have appeared to have gone up, especially the Colt and FN A2 receivers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:34:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes tell me about it.  2 years ago I built an A2 clone of my issue A2.  My issue was a Colt 1987 A2 fairly new with M203 attached.  My clone ended up being an FN since the barrel I got for $150 was FN replacement barrel.  At one time I had 4 A2 uppers trying to find a good match for my Essential Arms lower.  I had 1 Colt with M4 ramps and 4 marked on the charge handle That came off a Colt 6520.  I had a gray FN and a Black FN and some other. I never paid more than $90 for an upper. I ended up keeping the black FN and selling the rest for what I paid for them.  The Colt went for $120.  Now I am wanting to build a 727 and cannot find an upper for it.  I have missed a few good deals to guys on the EE who jump on good deals and then turn around and sell them for a profit.  I refuse to buy from them.  

Wish I had held on to just one of those A2s I had.  I will keep looking!
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#3]
i just bought a NOS black one complete for $179. you can buy a new stripped Colt A2 upper and all the Colt parts for $275
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#4]
If the street price of old A2 uppers keeps going up, expect somebody like NDS to start making "retro" "repro" A2 uppers.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 8:15:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If the street price of old A2 uppers keeps going up, expect somebody like NDS to start making "retro" "repro" A2 uppers.
View Quote

Better start hoarding those A2 sight kits now; they'll be hard to find like the A1 kits.

Link Posted: 9/9/2016 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i just bought a NOS black one complete for $179. you can buy a new stripped Colt A2 upper and all the Colt parts for $275
View Quote

Sounds like a great deal you got. Where can one buy a new Colt A2 upper and parts for $275? Thx
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 1:39:57 AM EDT
[#7]
brownells. you can buy all the Colt parts including new stripped Colt A2 uppers. They are back ordered. I called Colt and they said they do still make them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
brownells. you can buy all the Colt parts including new stripped Colt A2 uppers. They are back ordered. I called Colt and they said they do still make them.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. Now actually just trying to locate a good one at this point. Don't mind paying if it's nice. Have a WTB ad placed but amazed at how difficult to locate. But not to worry, I'm sure patience will win the day.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 12:53:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Took me 3 months to find one. Was waiting on Brownells but found one on gb
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Does anyone  know if there was ever an A2upper offered by Colt for the SP1 large front pivot lower?  I like my A1 but would also like an A2 upper for it and I am not going to use an offset bushing to try to make a small pivot upper work and mess up my perfect condition original SP1.

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Does anyone  know if there was ever an A2upper offered by Colt for the SP1 large front pivot lower?  I like my A1 but would also like an A2 upper for it and I am not going to use an offset bushing to try to make a small pivot upper work and mess up my perfect condition original SP1.

View Quote

Yes; you're looking for a late Sporter 2 upper receiver, made before Colt started using the small pivot pin. Sporter 2s used either SP1, C7, or A2 style uppers depending on when they were made. I'd suggest keeping an eye on Gunbroker, the equipment exchange used upper forum, and posting a WTB.
I found this ad from last year after a quick search. I wish I had seen it at the time; it was a very good deal at $80.
https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=7&f=159&t=1451884

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Will do that. Hard to believe one in good condition would be so cheap. They've got to be really rare.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Facebook can come in handy sometimes.

Got an A2 for $120 shipped.

Have no idea on the direction I want to take, but something like this ha my interest.

Yes I realized its an A1, but still looks good.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:42:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I got lucky and a guy at work wanted an A2 pulled and an A4 installed.

Swapped them out and I got to keep the A2.

I'm building a sort-of Bushmaster Commando. (as in no actual Bushmaster parts)
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Thought I'd give an update that I finally found a nos Colt A2 upper for 175 shipped on the EE boards. A fair price that I was happy to pay. Then called nodak spud and got on the waiting list for a gray A2 low profile lower. All in all a good day! woot! Looks like my build is on its way. Plan on ordering a Windham Weapons 20" Govt. barrel assembly kit. Called them today and was amazed that they said if I sent the new receiver and BCG that they would assemble and test fire for free. As Hickock45 would say... life is good.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top