Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/25/2016 8:30:35 AM EDT
I've always wanted an A2 carbine since I was a kid watching movies with Dad and lurking in this forum finally convinced me to build one.

Recently I picked up an A2 upper from user Tit_Dirt on the EE.   This got the ball rolling and I started scrounging through my extra parts bin.  This was the first rifle I had ever messed with the FSB on.   All the previous rifles I had built were 3 gun or hunting style guns with lo-pro gas blocks and free float tubes.  I decided if I was going to build a somewhat retro rifle that I wanted triangle handguards so I ordered a set from PK Firearms and they turned out great in my opinion.

I realize this isn't a purist build with my use of the M4 barrel and butt stock but I'm still fond of it and considering that almost everything was put together from take-off parts I've probably got a little over $300 in it.

As time goes by I'll probably upgrade the stock, barrel & flash hider to be more period correct.  Or maybe after the 41F crap settles down I'll just have it cut down to 11.5" and the get the flashider.  
Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to introduce......"The Mutt"

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've probably got a little over $300 in it.
View Quote

That's Phenomenal, to be able to build a Carbine for that little bit of money.  And she looks Great , too !!!

In this strange political season, I'd suggest that you continue building as many $300 Carbines as possible,

because after November they might be worth over $1500 each.  

Don't forget Mag's & Ammo.........

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:27:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's Phenomenal, to be able to build a Carbine for that little bit of money.  And she looks Great , too !!!

In this strange political season, I'd suggest that you continue building as many $300 Carbines as possible,

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've probably got a little over $300 in it.

It's like we're sharing the same brain Chief!

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Since you're talking about being period correct, triangle hand guards were never used on carbines. It should be the skinny 6 hole type.
But those look fantastic and I wouldn't worry about correctness in that regard.
The M4 barrel is also correct for a 727.
Nice rifle, OP.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Great rifle OP.  I really dig it.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, that's a good mutt.  But you have to be tempted to unmutt it and make it into a 727, no?  Either way I bet it's handy.  

So..... the big question I have is:  Since you're used to rails and such, which probably means optics, can you use the carbine sight radius well?   That's my big issue with carbines with FSB's is my eyes don't like them any more.  But they're so HANDY!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Love it!
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks good OP!
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a chance to play with a lot of the USAF "mutt" carbines, so I love mutts  I don't know how you built yours for around $300 bucks, but keep up the good work OP!
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice.

Some skinny handguards and a CAR stock and you'd have a 727.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looks good OP!
View Quote
Thanks and thanks again for the upper!
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah, that's a good mutt.  But you have to be tempted to unmutt it and make it into a 727, no?  Either way I bet it's handy.  

So..... the big question I have is:  Since you're used to rails and such, which probably means optics, can you use the carbine sight radius well?   That's my big issue with carbines with FSB's is my eyes don't like them any more.  But they're so HANDY!!!
View Quote
I haven't had a problem with them on the few rifles I've shot before but it's always been close plinking with them.   I don't care for the 6 hole HG's much so it'll probably stay a mutt.

Reflects my personality that way!
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Upper $113.00
used barrel assembly $70
Lower was from my storage ~ $35
LPK from storage - ~ $30
Hand guards from PK $30
New gas tube $12
Buttstock & grip were old take off parts ~ basically $0.00 since they were extras

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks good OP!

Not a problem! Glad you are enjoying it!
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Love it OP! I have pretty much the same set  up with a couple of differences. See if you can spot them.

Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:07:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Love it OP! I have pretty much the same set  up with a couple of differences. See if you can spot them.

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t381/wjoutlaw2009/Mobile%20Uploads/20160514_180818.jpg
View Quote

Nice!   Looks like you used the KNS pins and you've got the older style buttstock?

I like it!
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nice!   Looks like you used the KNS pins and you've got the older style buttstock?

I like it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t381/wjoutlaw2009/Mobile%20Uploads/20160514_180818.jpg

I like it!

It is a repro CAR stock and Carbine Triangular hand guards from Tony's Custom LLC and the lower is the Rebel Flag 80% lower from Tactical Machining. I use KNS Pins on all my 80% lowers since the trigger and hammer pin holes aren't anodized.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top