Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2016 2:49:25 PM EDT
Finally got around to cloning one of the rifles I carried back in the day.  A while back I found some of my old Rifle Data books from the qual ranges.  Oldest one I could locate was from '96 when I was with 1/2.  Grabbed a late 80 Colt upper/barrel and found as many correct parts as I could including grey rough texture buttstock and glossy HGs.  Even got a 80% and had it engraved with my issue ser# 6007xxx (early USMC rifle) sent it off to hkiller to get anodized and then finished it off once it got back.

Took it and my other A2 late "rebuild" (FN upper/barrel on generic lower new stock etc) and my Beretta AR-70 for a quick zero as I'm doing a 2-gun match tomorrow.  Sorry pics are bad it was stinking hot lying out in the 90+deg sun.

Bottom target is the only 6 rounds I fired (55grn bulk reman) one correction to get it centered (@25m).  Guessing the high one is the first round chambered off each group.

My old data book and some of my older TMs I kept.

Oh and the funny thing is I might have had this rifle back in '91-'94...  at the time at Lejeune there were IIRC 9 Infantry Bns but only 8 sets of weapons as one Bn was always on rotation to Okinawa.  As the units rotated they just "swapped" gear....

Well .. low and behold...I was was with 3/6 before 1/2 and in the 2 years I was gone 3/6 and 1/2 did a rotation to Oki so when I got to 1/2 they had just picked up 3/6s gear.

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Outstanding effort, well done.  Your rifle looks great!
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks decided to use it in a 2 gun match today with my 1911 MEU SOC...
Two classic guns got me second place...

Got beat beat by a G19 and 18" SPR both race guns and the rifle had a Hubble telescope on it.

A2 irons FTMFW!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 12:51:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:39:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome rifle. I'm hoping to have my A2 finished by the weekend, pretty excited.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Well done OP  You've raised the bar just a bit higher for the all the cloners out there.

S/F
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks decided to use it in a 2 gun match today with my 1911 MEU SOC...Two classic guns got me second place...

Got beat beat by a G19 and 18" SPR both race guns and the rifle had a Hubble telescope on it.

A2 irons FTMFW!!
View Quote

Well done, a great result with good honest basic weapons. I detest race guns and Hubble telescoped weaponry.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:23:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Good job! I have almost got all the parts together to build an FN A2 clone. Just waiting on the charging handle.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice man i love the run and gun type shoots with mil spec guns!
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:50:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice. Enjoy that rifle.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#10]
The more and more I shoot a 20" AR with standard irons, the more I like it!   I have an RRA NM that is more of an A4 (detach carry handle) but starting to get the bug to build an A2 clone...
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top