Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/28/2016 12:12:00 PM EDT
My recent addition, Bushmaster XM15-E2S Dissipator (mid-length gas).  This rifle was built at the old factory in Maine before Bushmaster was bought and sold.  She was built for the California Highway Patrol and used as a patrol rifle until recently when they upgraded.  There's some surface wear, but the internals looked almost new.  She's in need of a good cleaning from just being dusty.  The bolt has had the serial number engraved on it (probably by a CHP armory).

I'm not going to make any changers to her for the short term.  A sling will be added and I'm looking at a Vicker's.  A possible x4 power scope might (maybe an old colt if I can find one).  Although the front hand guard might get replaced with a MOE Rifle.  Rifle length drop in guards seem to be limited to Midwest and Magpul.  Anyone else suggestions?

Cheers!

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I  saw one like yours listed online for one the big chain outdoor stores.  The price has varied from low of $599-799.  I just never had spare cash to order.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I love it.  I personally wouldn't do anything to it.  It's awesome.  Or maybe throw a mini RDS on that rail.

You know how much it weighs?  What profile barrel did they use on them?  I always wondered if the extra gas block would make it real front heavy or not.  But I also don't know if it's an HBAR or not.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah.. I did buy it from that same Chain store.  LOL  
They had them in store at 799, but the 599 is the same UPC #, so they had to give it to me at the 599 price.  
Well worth it to get something a little different.  If they wouldn't give it to me at 599 and stuck at 799 I wouldn't have bought it. Or bought it site unseen online.  
They had it mis-marked as a carbine length gas tube as well. lol  

Normally I don't buy at that place, in store prices are horrible.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's a shot of the barrel set up.  Heavy barrel.

I'll have to dig out a scale once I get it all cleaned and put back together..  
**Edit**  She weighs in right at 7.5 lbs.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:21:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice snag OP  I've always got a soft spot for the dissipator set up.  I don't mean to be technical, but that looks like a carbine gas system  But it really doesn't matter cause your running with a rifle buffer system and the extra weight under the HG's will keep the bark to a minimum.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice snag OP  I've always got a soft spot for the dissipator set up.  I don't mean to be technical, but that looks like a carbine gas system  But it really doesn't matter cause your running with a rifle buffer system and the extra weight under the HG's will keep the bark to a minimum.
View Quote

Bushmaster used only carbine gas systems on their Dissipators. They are the ones who came up with the term, "Dissipator".

As for this rifle, I would not change a thing on it. In as far as the optic goes, I would either use a micro-dot or just keep it as is with only iron sights. You have a classic Bushmaster made back when they were still good quality.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice OP.  Where'd you pick it up?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:23:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Believe or not.. Gander Mountain of all places.. lol  in store they were 799, but online they were 599.  They firearm manager let me have it for 599.

Measuring gas tube length.  
I thought carbine gas tubes were 7", and mid length were 9"..  measures 9" from the upper to the gas block..
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:23:14 AM EDT
[#9]
So just for my own piece of mind.. I called Bushmaster Customer Service. At first they said Bushmaster only made carbine length.  After I gave them the serial # and played QA with them for a few minutes. based on the location of the gas block, length of tube, and barrel markings they did confirm that it was a factory mid-length gas system.  They also said it was going to be rare and must have been the last run for mid-length for the CHP.  Shortly after this they would have went to carbine length gas systems.

Barrel Marks read:  B MP 5.56 NATO 1/9 H BAR

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Believe or not.. Gander Mountain of all places.. lol  in store they were 799, but online they were 599.  They firearm manager let me have it for 599.

I thought carbine gas tubes were 7", and mid length were 9"..  measures 9" from the upper to the gas block..
View Quote

You are getting handguard length confused with actual gas tube length. If you measure from the backside of the gas block to the front of the Delta ring, you will get around 7". A carbine-length gas system barrel will use 7" handguards, a mid-length gas system barrel will use 9" handguards, and rifle-length gas system barrel will use 12" handguards.

In my opinion, I do not think that the person you spoke with at Bushmaster knows  what they are talking about. You needed to talk to someone from the old Bushmaster (Windham, ME location). Maybe give Windham Weaponry a call to see if someone there can really enlighten you. After all, they are the ones who made the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Thats a carbine length gas system.

In this picture, the top is a carbine length and the bottom is a mid-length.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You are getting handguard length confused with actual gas tube length. If you measure from the backside of the gas block to the front of the Delta ring, you will get around 7". A carbine-length gas system barrel will use 7" handguards, a mid-length gas system barrel will use 9" handguards, and rifle-length gas system barrel will use 12" handguards.

In my opinion, I do not think that the person you spoke with at Bushmaster knows  what they are talking about. You needed to talk to someone from the old Bushmaster (Windham, ME location). Maybe give Windham Weaponry a call to see if someone there can really enlighten you. After all, they are the ones who made the rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I whole heartedly agree.  The CS rep of the Freedom Group owned Bushmaster should have stopped after saying they only made carbine-length dissy's.  But we're NOT here to call anyone out.  Instead, we're here to learn about the AR platform and that's what makes these technical forums great.  Since I read your earlier post, my insecurities got the best of me.  So I had to break-out my unused mid-length gas-tube and a tape ruler just to make sure and it looks to be a tad under 12"  Keep in mind the gas tube goes inside the upper receiver and just about 1/8 of an inch beyond the gas-tube pin.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:31:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, that's a carbine system.  But it really doesn't matter.  As long as it runs fine.  In fact a carbine system might be a bit more reliable when using crappy ammo.  If you feel the need to.  Of course then the port size comes into play too.  Anyways.....  

My Govt A2 weighs in right at 7.5 also.  Yours might even have a better balance because the weight is further back.  But it's basically the same mount of weight hanging out front as a govt profle.  Or at least close.  Might be an ounce or two different.  Because my Colt has the neutered bolt.  

I think Gander's tunes in pricing are changing EVER SO SLIGHTLY.  I have seen good deals on American Eagle ammo and the magpul stuff is priced competitively.  But yeah, I used to say whoever did their pricing was on crack.  It's pretty bad.  In Franklin, a Dunhams moved in just down the road and I think they're noticing.  But then Dunhams used to have really good pricing and they got higher in the last 6 months.  It's like they figure if Gander can do it, so can they.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:01:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I like it
great price
Real Bushmasters (Maine) are good
1/9 is considered old school by some but I am a old guy so thats fine for me

I would prefer a longer lighter weight barrel but as set up this is a good usable compromise.

What year would this have been built? I ask because in commie we have this pre ban thing going
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Sorry guys.. I was thinking upper to gas block should be 9" (alloying for another 1.75" for the block) should be at nearly 11" at least. I keep looking thinking it's longer than carbine, but the measurement seems off. Might have been the actual FSB sitting there as well that threw me off..

I apologize for a bit if stupidity there..

I thought it was carbine when I bought it, but the longer I looked at it after I got the hand guard off (rifle length) I wasn't sure.  I've never built a complete upper before, lowers, I've had plenty of tinkering with.  

It has a born on date of 2000.

Thanks for all the help guys. lol
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top