BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/24/2016 2:44:19 PM EDT
I have a few A2 carbine builds lined out. I want to run some ideas by you and need help for a carry handle mounted scope.

Upper #1: Colt 6920 receiver, Colt carry handle, Colt m4a1 barrel 14.5", Centurion C4 rail, F marked front sight post, going to wear an Eotech 512 on top of the rail.

Upper #2: A2 upper off a service rifle NM gun, same barrel as above, I want to mount a 3x or 4x (colt style) scope on the carry handle. I've bid on two of them from gunbroker buy I can seem to win and don't want to pay $500. The question is and the point to this post is: is anyone still running a set up like this?  If so what optics are you running?  Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the same question as the OP in his #2.

All I have found for scopes are cheap knock offs that reviewers have called crap.

Would like to get a scope like the one in picture #2 or something that looks similar.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:13:30 PM EDT
[#2]
i wouldn't mind having an original Colt marked scope. But I use my guns and don't want to beat the crap out of an original piece. There has got to be a quality after market one out there not made by NCstar.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#3]
This is what you seek.  

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-3x-compact-prism-scope-with-the-patented-acss-556-reticle/p/pac3x-acss-5.56/

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/185125/burris-ar-536-5x-36mm-prism-sight-ballistic-cq-reticle-matte

I actually have a colt knock off scope, that I think MIGHT have been made by the same people that made the Colt scopes.  I have no clue who made it, it's not marked.  And I have the little instruction sheet that came with it and there's nothing on it.  But it seems well built and works.  And the attachment is exactly the same.  There may be some of these out there, that are better quality than an NC Star or the newer knock offs.  But I think you have to sort of know what you're looking for.  I might've got lucky though.  

I don't "run" it much at all.  But I've shot with it some and like it.  I had it on an A1 20"er once and got some really decent groups with it.  I like them.  It does have a very small FOV while looking through it.  But whatever.  It's especially good for just plinking  or target shooting.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:17:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is what you seek.  

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-3x-compact-prism-scope-with-the-patented-acss-556-reticle/p/pac3x-acss-5.56/

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/185125/burris-ar-536-5x-36mm-prism-sight-ballistic-cq-reticle-matte

I actually have a colt knock off scope, that I think MIGHT have been made by the same people that made the Colt scopes.  I have no clue who made it, it's not marked.  And I have the little instruction sheet that came with it and there's nothing on it.  But it seems well built and works.  And the attachment is exactly the same.  There may be some of these out there, that are better quality than an NC Star or the newer knock offs.  But I think you have to sort of know what you're looking for.  I might've got lucky though.  

I don't "run" it much at all.  But I've shot with it some and like it.  I had it on an A1 20"er once and got some really decent groups with it.  I like them.  It does have a very small FOV while looking through it.  But whatever.  It's especially good for just plinking  or target shooting.

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o475/NomadABPos/2016%20guns/IMG_5913_zps4obgsr3a.jpg

View Quote

That's what I'm looking for. I saw your pic in another thread and love that gun. Thank you
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:16:36 AM EDT
[#5]
If you google "kley zion aimpoint mount" it will take you to a carry handle mount for red dot sights, if you're interested in that.

I just lucked into an old Colt 3x20 for $250. If you look long or hard enough, you can find them for reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's what I'm looking for. I saw your pic in another thread and love that gun. Thank you
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is what you seek.  

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o475/NomadABPos/2016%20guns/IMG_5913_zps4obgsr3a.jpg

Thank you.

It's a fun way to shoot.  Mine is a little too heavy this way.  That M4gery is an HBAR under there....  And it just gets real heavy this way.  But I think I'd probably leave it this way if it was a govt' profile and an A1 upper.   Then it would be closer to what I'd like it to weigh.  But that day I was switching between the irons and the scope and it's just a very handy way to do it.  I have an Aimpoint on it right now though.  LOL.  

I think a really sweet set up would be an A1 upper with a rail and and Mini RDS on top.  It would not be super high and the Mini RDS would not have a lot of weight.  And then you could still use the irons immediately if the RDS went caput.  But don't have to cowitness.   But it wouldn't look very retro.  LOL.  

Oh yeah, I painted some of it too.  I think OD is kind of retro.    If I could only do a good woodland paint job.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I had lucked into a "Windham" Bushmaster with a 14.5" barrel and a2 upper for $250 in almost brand new condition.  It wasn't my style at the time but I really liked it.  So I put a Knight RAS rail on it and mounted an old Eotech on top of that rail and into the truck it went.  Oddly enough every time one of my guns went down or a students gun went down or someone needed to borrow a long gun we used it and it never let us down.  I couldn't begin to count how many round that thing has shot or how many people have enjoyed it.  I ended up selling it to a good friend and haven't been able to fill the void it's left lol.  My buddy won't sell it back to me.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you google "kley zion aimpoint mount" it will take you to a carry handle mount for red dot sights, if you're interested in that.
https://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server4300/9j9zreeu/products/43487/images/81225/kzaimisehtmo__79491.1422214620.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

I just lucked into an old Colt 3x20 for $250. If you look long or hard enough, you can find them for reasonable prices.
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff496/Jakehambey/20160719_183730.jpg
View Quote

I really like that with a fixed stock
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't have one yet myself, but am planning to go with a TA11 on my eventual M16A2 Carbine clone.  

Much better sight than the 3x or 4x, great eye relief and FOV, and "period correct," too.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:59:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don't have one yet myself, but am planning to go with a TA11 on my eventual M16A2 Carbine clone.  

Much better sight than the 3x or 4x, great eye relief and FOV, and "period correct," too.  

~Augee
View Quote

I agree Augee, I've been considering it.  Right now I'm not ready to step into ACOG's.  Maybe after this setup!
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#11]
What my Bushmaster was like
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#12]
How well would that hold a zero?

A lot of my handguards twist a bit
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How well would that hold a zero?

A lot of my handguards twist a bit
View Quote

The Knights RAS I put on the Bushmaster was brand new and locked up really tight.  I checked zero every few months and it did well no worse than any other rifle/optic combo I've had.  Having the BUIS optic co-witness all the time took a little getting use to.  But it was a solid setup and like I said never let us down.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Hakko made some of the Colt branded stuff back in the '80s I believe. Japanese made optics, were pretty decent. We sold some NIB at the gun store I managed as late as '08. They were around $250 new and look like what you are seeking.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Just keep shopping e-bay, they show up in all conditions.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I ended up getting an SJA Colt knock off 3x scope.  Because I intended to use that crap out of this gun and didn't want to screw up an actual Colt scope.  I think it will do just fine.  

Having a real had time finding a Colt A2 upper in my price range.  Finding an A2 upper that doesn't have a lot of play with fitment to the lower is a challenge also.  I didn't know A2 uppers were $150+ and so wanted lol.  I figured I could sneak into this build and do it fast because I was using parts that people don't often use. I WAS WRONG LOL.  

On an other note, I bought a Colt Expanse CE2000 at the local gun shop for $700 out the door with Military discount and they gave me a membership on top of it all.  This is going to serve as the base for this build.  M4a1/SOCOM barrel is en-route also.  Going to have to run a detachable carry handle for the time being until I can locate an A2 upper that I want to spend cash on.  Same store has a Rock River Armory A2 upper for $195 I think, couldn't see the price tag.  

So parts list as of now:
Colt CE2000- $700
SJA Scope- $65
M4a1 barrel- $200
Colt CE2000 barrel- -$125 (Sold it yesterday)
Colt Carry Handle- Free
KAC RAS- Free
RRA 2stage trigger- Free

Total- $840
Things will change a little.  Stock, grip, gunsmithing, muzzle device, upper.  To be continued.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:01:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I borrowed this from another thread.  One of these is probably in the works too.

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 3:27:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Here is mine-

Built with a 1995 era Colt 6520.

The gun matches 727s I saw in the hands of various USASOC elements while deployed to Bosnia in December 1995.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 9:00:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Super nice.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#22]
My 727 with ARMS mount, Burris X-treme ring and Aimpoint:

Same rifle with Colt 3X20:

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I have a few A2 carbine builds lined out. I want to run some ideas by you and need help for a carry handle mounted scope.

Upper #1: Colt 6920 receiver, Colt carry handle, Colt m4a1 barrel 14.5", Centurion C4 rail, F marked front sight post, going to wear an Eotech 512 on top of the rail.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee413/infidel4life11/image_1.jpeg

Upper #2: A2 upper off a service rifle NM gun, same barrel as above, I want to mount a 3x or 4x (colt style) scope on the carry handle. I've bid on two of them from gunbroker buy I can seem to win and don't want to pay $500. The question is and the point to this post is: is anyone still running a set up like this?  If so what optics are you running?  Any suggestions?

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee413/infidel4life11/image.jpeg
View Quote
Kinda late to the party, but have been watching the thread progressing. Have several A2 carbines in various stages of build as well. Just finished my 727 clone and mounted a used ACOG ta47-6 I bought on the "bay". Its a '99-built ACOG with amber dot and 2x magnification. Its currently being serviced at Trijicon for new tritium at the price of 260 dollars. No, its not period correct, but it seems to be a nice piece of glass for close to mid-range shooting and it mounts nice and solid to the A2 upper with just the supplied trijicon screw mount thing. Can't wait to get it back and mounted
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Very very nice.  How do you like the AP on there?  Is it overly high?  

blindmcsqueezie:  we're gonna need pics of that!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#25]
It works well enough.   I have it on my 9mm carbine now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Awesome! I'm glad I'm among like minded folks.  I'm going to be off "period correctness" by a little bit.

14.5" m4a1 barrel en-route.  
Detachable carry handle 3x "colt style scope" combo.  
CTR stock.
KAC RAS.
KAC shortened fore grip.

Going to have to run the flat top upper/carry handle/scope combo until I can remedy my A2 upper issues.  Once I break down and get the A2 upper the carry handle is going on a 12.5" upper with an AP or mini RDS on it.  The RAS will go on the 12.5 also as I'm having a friend build me a set of slim 6hole m4 hand guards that will be free float for the A2 carbine.

What triggers is everyone running?
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Awesome! I'm glad I'm among like minded folks.  I'm going to be off "period correctness" by a little bit.

CTR stock.

KAC RAS.

KAC shortened fore grip.

Going to have to run the flat top upper/carry handle/scope combo until I can remedy my A2 upper issues.  Once I break down and get the A2 upper the carry handle is going on a 12.5" upper with an AP or mini RDS on it.  The RAS will go on the 12.5 also as I'm having a friend build me a set of slim 6hole m4 hand guards that will be free float for the A2 carbine.

View Quote
Triggers: geissele triggers and or ALG QMS mil-spec. triggers, the QMS is like stock but nicer "break" and less scratchy in the travel (if that makes any sense). And will post pics of the A2/ACOG setup as soon as I get it back from Trijicon. Paid for the service this afternoon
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Looking forward to it!

Quoted:
Triggers: geissele triggers and or ALG QMS mil-spec. triggers, the QMS is like stock but nicer "break" and less scratchy in the travel (if that makes any sense). And will post pics of the A2/ACOG setup as soon as I get it back from Trijicon. Paid for the service this afternoon
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CTR stock.
KAC RAS.
KAC shortened fore grip.

Link Posted: 8/17/2016 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Well everything has taken a left turn so to speak:  

o Buyer backed out of buying the CE2000 barrel.

o I did some trading and got BCM BHF 14.5" mid length upper and 9" Centurion C4 rail.

o Going to put the BCM upper on my Colt lower.  With the carry handle/scope combo.

o Going to sell the Colt Expanse CE2000 upper or turn it into my 12.5" sbr upper, haven't decided yet!

o Still working on an actual A2 upper.  

Here is how she sets now!

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

o I did some trading and got BCM BHF 14.5" mid length upper and 9" Centurion C4 rail.

o Going to put the BCM upper on my Colt lower.  With the carry handle/scope combo.

o Going to sell the Colt Expanse CE2000 upper or turn it into my 12.5" sbr upper, haven't decided yet!

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee413/infidel4life11/IMG_3656.jpg
View Quote
hell yeah!, range report needed . This damn thread gon make me want a Colt Scope. Is it real nose heavy with that thicker profile barrel? I almost bought one like that but never as I thought it be too off balance

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
hell yeah!, range report needed . This damn thread gon make me want a Colt Scope. Is it real nose heavy with that thicker profile barrel? I almost bought one like that but never as I thought it be too off balance  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like a thicker barrel.  I wish they made the M4A1/socom profile in a mid-length.  With this Colt expanse barrel being a full 16" and thicker through out it is nose heavy.  Probably more in part because I can't reach my hand out there like I do with my RECCE's.  I'm loving the carry handle/scope combo though.  It's high, not getting a "cheek" weld but I love it.  Super clear glass, started crosshair, if you zero at 100 the elevation is set by distance.  I don't remember ACOGs being as fun as this little scope is.  I live by a large pond that my HOA calls a lake, I can aim to the other side of it 600-700yds and make out bushes and trees types very easy.  Could hit something at that distance with the scope.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I just scored a FN m4a1 complete upper on the EE.  Looks like things are getting back on track!
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I borrowed this from another thread.  One of these is probably in the works too.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee413/infidel4life11/ar-1.jpg
View Quote

Nice Blood Diamond rifle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Finally got my ACOG 2x20 TA47-6 back from Trijicon after a tritium replacement. Sorry for the delay but here are some pics after I mounted it to the carry handle, now I need some range time... Not a bad choice for a close to mid-range optic for a carry handle carbine. Sorry the reticle pic sucks but its amber dot with no BDC

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Finally got my ACOG 2x20 TA47-6 back from Trijicon after a tritium replacement. Sorry for the delay but here are some pics after I mounted it to the carry handle, now I need some range time... Not a bad choice for a close to mid-range optic for a carry handle carbine. Sorry the reticle pic sucks but its amber dot with no BDC                                                                                                        

<a href="http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/htbanks1/media/IMG_1802_zpskxevumuy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b635/htbanks1/IMG_1802_zpskxevumuy.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/htbanks1/media/IMG_1805_zpsuqfoz3bo.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b635/htbanks1/IMG_1805_zpsuqfoz3bo.jpg</a>

View Quote

Oh man that is hot!
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Oh man that is hot!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/htbanks1/media/IMG_1802_zpskxevumuy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b635/htbanks1/IMG_1802_zpskxevumuy.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/htbanks1/media/IMG_1805_zpsuqfoz3bo.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b635/htbanks1/IMG_1805_zpsuqfoz3bo.jpg</a>

Oh man that is hot!
yessir, its quickly becoming my favorite piece beating out my m4/ta31 RCO, MK18 mod 0 and DOE clone

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#37]
We need a range report of what that thing is capable of.    But yeah, I think it's probably one of the best set ups there is (compact and light optic on a carry handle on a carbine)
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#38]

FN M4a1 upper on my Colt lower!  Got back on track!
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee413/infidel4life11/IMG_3734.jpg

View Quote
Sweet! what pistol grip is that? I took the 727 to the local range today for an hour or so with my dad. I shot it at the 75 yard line and got it close  enough (sorry no pics today). Ill be going out with some of the doctors I work with on the 29th and will get some pics on board for you guys. The range they're members at has a 100m distance, still trying to decide if I'm gonna zero to that distance or maybe 50m since its a low power ACOG.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Sweet! what pistol grip is that? I took the 727 to the local range today for an hour or so with my dad. I shot it at the 75 yard line and got it close  enough (sorry no pics today). Ill be going out with some of the doctors I work with on the 29th and will get some pics on board for you guys. The range they're members at has a 100m distance, still trying to decide if I'm gonna zero to that distance or maybe 50m since its a low power ACOG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a A2 I chopped up and textured.  I'd zero at 50!
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you grind off the finger bump? 50m zero was what I was leaning towards. I love the 727/TA47 combo though, it was a real light and handy carbine setup today

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 9:03:48 PM EDT
[#42]

Ground off the finger bump, removed all factory texture. Slims it up and little, then textured it with a flat tip wood burner.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:11:06 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Ground off the finger bump, removed all factory texture. Slims it up and little, then textured it with a flat tip wood burner.
View Quote
hell yeh, I'd like to do that for a few grips I have

Link Posted: 11/9/2016 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Picked up a VG condition Colt 3x20 at the gun show this past weekend for $300.
Pretty good deal based on what I saw on GB and flEbay..

I'll have to get a few pics of if this weekend..
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 8:22:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

That hard gritty trigger pull is part of the experience, and the sad truth of cloning is even current models have obsolete features.  My A2 clone is my only AR that still has a "GI" (although in semi-only) trigger.  Since I now have a parts bin full of GI triggers my next project is to put the "best" trigger in the A2.  

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That hard gritty trigger pull is part of the experience, and the sad truth of cloning is even current models have obsolete features.  My A2 clone is my only AR that still has a "GI" (although in semi-only) trigger.  Since I now have a parts bin full of GI triggers my next project is to put the "best" trigger in the A2.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The PSA EPT trigger groups are pretty sweet for a service trigger.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar15-pa10-enhanced-polished-trigger.html.  
They currently have a lower parts kit with the enhanced trigger group on sale with free shipping.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-defender-moe-lower-parts-kit-no-ambi-safety.html

You could use the EPT trigger and sell off the rest of the parts.

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know if you saw this.  I think I put it in the M4 thread......  I wish I could mount it onto the flat top.  And Finslayer83 sent me an ACOG mount to try it.  But it seems like it's not seating properly in there.

I only shot it at 50 yards that day:

Link Posted: 11/26/2016 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Short of a grey charging handle and a rubber band this one is finished:
I forgot to take something besides a pmag for the picture.

It's my attempt at cloning this gun:
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 4:00:58 PM EDT
[#49]
hell yeah on the range report, sadly, I still haven't gotten out to shoot mine yet. Fired a few in the yard and it seems like its on point (with irons). Have changed the appearance since the last time I posted here in this topic...more BHD i guess. Thanks for the range report. Glad to see someone can get out there and shoot

Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:11:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Short of a grey charging handle and a rubber band this one is finished:
I forgot to take something besides a pmag for the picture.
http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r714/adamtheduke/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-11/9CCFFE6B-AD78-4B8D-940C-17DCFCB70932_zpsu02szoee.jpg

It's my attempt at cloning this gun:
http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r714/adamtheduke/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-11/14E8DB23-8D12-475B-A6D0-9C6FBDE7CCF3_zpsmw5lpk3r.jpg
View Quote

VERY COOL.  First time I've seen someone clone this gun.  You da man.  In my estimation, that's probably one of the funnest set ups to shoot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top