Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/25/2016 12:25:50 PM EDT
4th down.... It looks like a clip is on the bottom handguard, know what it is?

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#1]
wow, good eye. I've seen that photo many times and never caught that 'thing'

I would think it would have served as somekind of attachment point for a vertical grip, as
that is about the position of the grip on the LMG uppers.

I had a 741 upper and mine did not have the loop - but it does look like
the vertical grip adapter that was on the LMG, it attached to the barrel directly.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would think it would have served as somekind of attachment point for a vertical grip, as

the vertical grip adapter that was on the LMG, it attached to the barrel directly.
View Quote

You sure it's not the catch to catch the bipod legs when they fold? Looks a little too far away but just a thought
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You sure it's not the catch to catch the bipod legs when they fold? Looks a little too far away but just a thought
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could be, but iirc the M60 legs splayed too far out, the LMG bipod however did come together, and did have a hook that went into the A1 type handguard
hole.  The vertical grip was about mid barrel too.  Still have my money on that :)  Of course old age and fuzzy memory can affect the outcome, so YMMV
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Tiger is right about that being a forward vertical grip mount.

Here is a pic of a similar bipod with legs in the stowed position:

Those hand guards were an early version which were later changed to look like this & incorporated a similar vertical grip as that which would have been used on the early guards:

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top