Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Im not sure we still use carry handles
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Yes, but not longer than 50 yards.  I've been wanting to do more of it, but to be honest, it's almost impossible for me.   At 100 with the large ap, it's all too blurry.   At closer range, its just less blurry.  Every time I do a test between the small and large ap, I don't find a heck of a lot of difference at closer distances.   The groups are always a bit wider and less concentrated than with the small ap, but not enough to really matter.  At 50 or less.

It would be interesting to see a guy with young eyes do a test at 100.   Or longer if they could manage it.

They're called Marines.

Im not sure we still use carry handles

The move to optics is complete now.  They don't even use optics in boot camp as far as I know.  At least none of our boots coming in has used irons.  I'm in the wing and used A2s up until 2009 or 10 time frame when the unit I was attached to got A4s in the armor.  After that I used the detach carry handle for another year or two for qual then it was ACOGs after that.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:48:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The best I can figure it, that the bloom on the RDS causes a problem at the shorter ranges.  I have run drills with my A2 carbine and my M4 with Aimpoint Pro and I shoot the A2 more accurately every time when shooting for accuracy.  When shooting for quick torso shots the RDS is about the same for me when most will say it is faster.  I have been shooting the A2 platform for so many years I guess I am just finely tuned to the way it shoots and the way I acquire targets.  This is the only explanation I can think of.  I have had several people say the same thing when they see me shoot iron sights.  I guess growing up with iron sights and continuing to use them now for almost 40 years I just have more practice than most do these days.  As long as my eyes hold out I'm good to go.   Oh, and my eyes are corrected with glasses to 20/20.  I can't see for shit past 3 feet without them.  

FYI, I use scopes on my bolt guns.  

View Quote

Not with a2 carbines but with a a2 rifle (the sight radius is just perfect for me) I am nearly as fast and more accurate as with my m4 clone/with aimpoint. Factor in shooting moving targets, while moving, etc ill take a rds everyday. For a range gun, woods guns, etc Im perfectly happy with an a2 rifle. I do use a xs front stripe front sight which really helps with fast acquisition in low light.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:52:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The move to optics is complete now.  They don't even use optics in boot camp as far as I know.  At least none of our boots coming in has used irons.  I'm in the wing and used A2s up until 2009 or 10 time frame when the unit I was attached to got A4s in the armor.  After that I used the detach carry handle for another year or two for qual then it was ACOGs after that.
View Quote

Probably for the best, kinda sad though.

Impressive as hell that acogs can survive a drill instructor though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd imagine they don't.  I've seen plenty of them fail here just from going through Table 1 and 2.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I personally think they should teach irons still.  What if they have to pick up an AK?  Or a handgun.  If they've never fired a gun before, they should learn.  

Anyways.....  I'm guessing most people have shot a gun by the time they go to boot camp, but you never know.  My Cousin said when he was in the AF a large percentage of dudes never shot before and were not all that good at it.  Maybe that's the Air Force though.  LOL.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:  I personally think they should teach irons still.  What if they have to pick up an AK?  Or a handgun.  If they've never fired a gun before, they should learn.  

Anyways.....  I'm guessing most people have shot a gun by the time they go to boot camp, but you never know.  My Cousin said when he was in the AF a large percentage of dudes never shot before and were not all that good at it.  Maybe that's the Air Force though.  LOL.
View Quote

Lol, not all Americans in the service even know how to drive.  Just got back from Ft Leavenworth, and we had a sergeant from Brooklyn.  3 weeks @ Ft Leavenworth was the most he'd ever driven.  He didn't know what high beams were, or how to turn them off.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Well that's the thing about being 17/18 years old.  You still gotta  lot to learn.    Heck I'm 44 and still gotta lot to learn.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top