Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/7/2016 1:06:48 AM EDT
I have a pre-ban (purchased new 1993) Colt Match H-Bar with the A2 non detachable carry handle receiver. It works great and is sub MOA with the factory peep sights with good ammo from the bench if I do my part. However I want to mount an optic with back up folding front and rear sights.

Which manufacture of flat top receiver do you recommend that are compatible with this particular Colt?

I also want to replace the hand guard with one that is free floated. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:46:50 AM EDT
[#1]
You'd want to look for a rifle upper, one with no feed ramps.
There's a Colt in grey on the EE right now, I think?
Would probably match your lower quite well (not mine, search Colt on the EE, should come up?)

As far as free float tubes, you could run from a cheapie on ebay for $50-60 all the way up to
a PRI for $300+ iirc.
Taste and wallet would come into play.
Shame you are breaking up the upper, have you thought about just buying an assembled one
and saving the original?

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:00:38 AM EDT
[#2]
What is the EE?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:08:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
have you thought about just buying an assembled one
and saving the original?
View Quote

This. With what all it will take to get to where you want to be, I think you will be aggravation and money ahead to just put together a whole new upper. The Colt complete A2 upper would be desirable to someone.

Or honestly, with the price of parts right now, put together a new lower to go with it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:01:30 AM EDT
[#4]
why not just mount a carry handle rail
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the EE?
View Quote

the "equipment exchange" on this site.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:54:18 AM EDT
[#6]
It's your rifle so your choice/decision.  However, I would caution against replacing any parts on that gun if you think that you or anyone in your family down the line will ever sell it.  Anything other than putting another complete upper assembly on the gun and retaining the original so that you can interchange or easily restore it back, will significantly destroy it's value.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top