Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/27/2015 9:17:18 PM EDT
Does anyone do what is considered a "professional" contour on rifle feed ramps? I have a FN M4 upper and a FN cage code  A2 barrel.  I wish I had an FN A3 upper with no feed ramps but it is what it is. Bad decision on my part or just "meh"? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:08:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless your rifle is fully automatic M4 it's my understanding that feed ramps have no effect on loading and feeding.  With that in mind I'm not sure what you are asking, do you want the feed ramps or do you want an extension that does not have the ramps?  I would think FN would know what your rifle needs or can operate with, feed ramps or no feed ramps or that it does not make any difference.  They are a reputable company if you are having an issue of operation.

kwg
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless your rifle is fully automatic M4 it's my understanding that feed ramps have no effect on loading and feeding.  With that in mind I'm not sure what you are asking, do you want the feed ramps or do you want an extension that does not have the ramps?  I would think FN would know what your rifle needs or can operate with, feed ramps or no feed ramps or that it does not make any difference.  They are a reputable company if you are having an issue of operation.

kwg
View Quote

Thanks for the reply. I have a new  FN cage code barrel and a new FN M4 receiver. Was thinking about building an M16A4 clone. I guess maybe I should go to EE and see if anyone has a barrel to swap first. I forgot about the F FSB as well.I was just trying to put together a close clone of the A4 varient =P
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#3]
The combination of upper with M4 feed-ramps and rifle extension (with no feed-ramps) is a No-Go.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:21:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The combination of upper with M4 feed-ramps and rifle extension (with no feed-ramps) is a No-Go.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk101/nasutton/gallery_18313_138_71257.jpg
View Quote

Thanks, I thought so... But if willing to give the feed ramps/barrel extension a dremel haircut, it would be fine - Just don't mess up!
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#5]
You can always find an FN A2 upper and build an FN M16A2 clone
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you Pro.  I knew the answer was out there.   I'm glad you jumped in.
kwg
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:27:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks for the reply. I have a new  FN cage code barrel and a new FN M4 receiver. Was thinking about building an M16A4 clone. I guess maybe I should go to EE and see if anyone has a barrel to swap first. I forgot about the F FSB as well.I was just trying to put together a close clone of the A4 varient =P
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

kwg

M16A4's have standard rifle feed ramps. If you want an accurate M16A4 clone, you need an FN receiver with no feed ramps, and an FN M16A4 barrel w/ rifle feed ramps and an F marked FSB.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#8]
FN A4 uppers do come up from time to time on the EE - took me about a year to find one, but nothing else would do for the FN A4 clone.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Unless your rifle is fully automatic M4 it's my understanding that feed ramps have no effect on loading and feeding.

kwg
View Quote
In addition, I heard that is also true regarding the anti-tilt follower craze.

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top