Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2015 11:00:02 PM EDT
Lets call it a draw.....  

I had the target on the left, she had the target on the right.  It was at 105 yards and we both had irons.  I know, it's not that great.  My excuse is I can't barely even see that far.  LOL.  That's not completely true but minute of melon is good enough for me at this point.  It was just some Q3131A.  And if I was all anal about it got some match ammo and went down on the concrete, I could do better.  But we had a ton of fun and I'm real proud of her.  

But what I will say s that I put a few rounds through my recce too and the thing is, I just enjoy shooting the A2 more.  I can't really explain why.  Fit maybe...  I don't know.  It just feels right.  

Action shot....  

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 12:03:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Get to an Apple seed shoot both of you
and those groups will shrink

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 2:26:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Would you be willing to post a few pics of some groups you get from an iron sighted run of the mill AR and ammo at 100 yards?  

They run those appleseeds at our range sometimes and if my health would allow it, I would love to do one (stupid lyme disease, that's why I'm so skinny).  I think it's a great idea for the kids too.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 2:41:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Love shooting my A2 as well.

Looks like you all had a good time.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 3:35:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would you be willing to post a few pics of some groups you get from an iron sighted run of the mill AR and ammo at 100 yards?  
View Quote

It looks to me like you shot about 7-8 MOA with irons and fodder ammo, and you got to share your love of shooting with your kid. Looks like only good results all around.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 5:49:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a rear aperture on that Ruger and try it again.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Get a rear aperture on that Ruger and try it again.
View Quote

Yes . this .Even allowing for youths great eyesight the factory sights on a 10/22 are pretty poor compared to A2 sights
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I hate using a single bag like that. For me having a fulcrum right in the middle makes it move unnatural imo. Id rather shoot with no bags than one like that.

Try a bag a little farther out and one.under the butt. Or a ruck, its larger surface area seems to help
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#8]

That's cool OP. Good day.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#9]

I for one think it's Great that you get to share a hobby with your daughter.  And she seems to do pretty good.

I would also get a set of Tech-Sight's Rear Sight for her Ruger 10-22, and see if that helps to shrink her groups a little bit more.

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 2:42:18 PM EDT
[#10]
NCCobra:  There is just something about the A2 that is so right.  Although I have an A1 stock and A1 grip on there.  I put the A2 buttplate on the stock though.....    An AR just doesn't sound right if it's not going sprrroooooiiiinnnng, when you shoot it.  

RYjones:  The shots on the shoot n c were 9" almost exactly.  I'll be honest though and I'm not sure if any of mine went off of the black bull.  We were shooting at Sadaam before we put he stickers on.  Plus I think she got a few of hers on mine because there are 34 shots and I think I'm pretty sure I only shot 30.  It was kind of windy and I didn't put out this other, taller target stand I had because it grabs the wind more.  But yeah, I figured it was "good enough".   I really am starting to struggle to see well at that range without glass.

As far as the sights on the 10/22, I totally agree.  Not overly conducive to precision.  But does it really have to be about that?  She connected a lot of her shots on sadaam and it was fun doing it.  She likes shooting that gun and isn't ready for AR's yet.  She's worried about the kick.  But another thing is that it's actually an old 10/22 that I don't think you can remove the front sight band on it.  It's like part of the barrel.  So tech sights are not an option unless you can just use the rear ap with the front post.  

A few of those rounds were mine but a lot where hers:

O3RN:  I had that little rear bag underneath the stock too.  The problem with what you suggested is that I've noticed vertical stringing at times if I put the bag further out on that gun with no FF rail.

As far as accuracy goes, I know I can always do better.  But I also think everyone always acts like they're Chris Kyle until you actually watch them shoot.  Getting groups with M193 ammo, an 8 pound trigger and iron sights, off a rickety bench and a windy day seems like a challenge to me.  Those may sound like excuses but they're just reality.   That rifle shoots a lot better with match ammo, but I'm not willing to drop the hammer on that in high volume.  

And for me, the only time I've ever got real good iron sighted groups at 100 yards was with battle rifles.  It might be different for others but I always feel like I have to wrestle with my AR's more to get them to shoot well.  I don't know if it's the pistol grip or what, but I've shot a lot better with my 03A3, M1A and Garand in the past.  But the A2 has a lot less recoil for fun shooting.  

I did catch her slapping the trigger at some point and was trying to teach her about squeezing the trigger.  It's all a process.  I am hammering home the safety of it all more than the precision of it.  I'm probably not the best to teach her that anyways and really should get my kids to an appleseed.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Gotchya, I didnt see the small bag.

30 something rounds in the kill zone aint bad shooting. But depending on your eyes I think you could cut your groups in half.

Between focusing on the front sight tip and getting an ALG trigger or better you might be there.

Shooting 5-10 round groups with good fst focus is a LOT easier than a mag or two.

I think 30 rounds into 4" at 1 sec intervals is a solid group at 100 yards. I seldom shoot from bags but a good bag set up is similar to a tight sling from the prone.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#12]
This will sound like I'm making this up, but I forgot to say I made an adjustment after my first 10 rounds.  I lowered the front sight post 1 click and clicked the rear sight to the left once because it looked like I was shooting low right.  It had been a while since I zero'd this gun.  And the last time I shot it was at 25 meters.  So....  needed a fine tune.  

If you can keep 30 shots in 4" at 100 with M193 and irons and a standard gun, I personally would say you are a stellar shooter.   I do focus on the front sight.  I was really working on that too.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 12:32:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Left handed?

Just kidding. Looks great! Wish my step daughter wanted to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 5:57:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Thats almost 2" of sight adjustment.

Id be willing to bet you could put a mag into 6" right now if you didnt adjust your poi.

Get a better trigger and you'd be surprised what you could do.

I only mention the focus on the fst because its really hard to do that for so long. I know for me that my eyes want to refocus a couple times after the first 10 rounds or so.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 1:04:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I tried doing what one guy said and aim / line up sight, then focus on the front sight but for only 3-5 seconds and then give a rest.   As my eyes get worse too, I don't do as well with the second eye open.  It starts to want to almost go double vision.  I don't remember having that problem 10 years ago.  So I start really squinting my left eye.  Which helps, but probably not as good for accuracy.  

I have other guns with lighter triggers.  I've shot small groups before with optics and and a light trigger.  It's not really my intent for this gun.  It's basically my SHTF / HD / fun gun.  I know this may make some people scoff, but I don't like a light trigger on a serious gun.  I'm concerned that adrenaline may cause you to break a shot maybe a little before you want to.   I have never done it with my hunting guns which have light triggers, and deer hunting can kick up some adrenaline.  And I know that keeping your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire is how it need to be done.  But it's like insurance to me.  A more deliberate pull is welcomed in a high stress situation.  I mostly carry a DA revolver because of this.  

This is just one range session with my recce and I could post more but why?.......   I feel like you have to walk around with your cirriculum vitae of shooting around here as soon as you talk about accuracy.  If you're not shooting one hole groups at 25 yards with your pistol or 100 yards with any rifle, you must be some kind of slouch......  I know there are some really good shooters on here and it's always good to learn and I want to remain teachable.  But some of it gets ridiculous.  One guy posted that I should be shooting into a 1.5" at 12 yards with any decent revolver. OFFHAND.  OK, whatever.  Maybe he was joking.  But it's funny how great of a shot everyone says they are but some of it is just hype.  Or not comparing apples to apples.  Yeah, if you compare your match gun with glass and match ammo or handloads and go prone with a bunch of bags and be all anal about it, your results are going to be a lot better than I can do with my A2.  

Anyways....  I appreciate it if someone is genuinely trying to help.  Some guys just want to brag or something.....  
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#16]
This A2 has shown to have good accuracy at times too, when I put a scope on it.   Even with that heavy ole trigger.  

This is from one session I did:

Almost any gun I've ever shot those 52's out of seem to really like them.  

I'll just use my kids as an excuse for not shooting as well.  I have to keep an eye on them and help them and I'm not as into throwing all my energy into shooting small groups.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 2:35:42 PM EDT
[#17]

I'll just use my kids as an excuse for not shooting as well. I have to keep an eye on them and help them and I'm not as into throwing all my energy into shooting small groups.  

I'll have to remember that one when my little ones get big enough to take with. Haha
Looks like a passing score to me...
Seriously though... even a day of bad groupings are still awesome, when they are done while spending time with the kids.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#18]
WELL you can use your kids for all kinds of excuses.  Like being late, having a mushy brain, being out of patience and a short temper.    LOL.      They can have that affect sometimes.  Of course it's not ALWAYS a negative thing.  

Anyways...  Yeah, it was a good day regardless of how great I did or didn't shoot.  I'll try to give it some more effort in the future.  Of course it might not help any at this point.  I still say it's getting harder and harder to see at 100 yards.  I wonder if using a white paper on a black background would be better.   But it didn't help that the black bull was pasted on top of a partially black background.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#19]
All that matters is you had fun with your daughter on a gun range.

it really does not get better then that.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 7:45:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Looks like you both enjoyed the time together, but,  umm don't daughters ALWAYS win?  
No matter what?  :-)
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Looks like you both enjoyed the time together, but, umm don't daughters ALWAYS win?
No matter what? :-)
View Quote

I have Son's, and for some when I took them out shooting with me, for some strange reason, they always did better then me.  Now we tend to have a lot of fun when we go shooting.

Link Posted: 11/15/2015 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
All that matters is you had fun with your daughter on a gun range.

it really does not get better then that.
View Quote

This ^^^^^
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Amen!
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#24]
105 yards with a 10/22?  Sorry, but your daughter won.

OTOH, with Q3131A, your shooting is nothing short of miraculous.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Why thank you.  And I win because I'm blessed enough to have kids that like to shoot with me.  My son was at a friends house that day, but he usually goes.  But it's nice to just be one on one.  

I find Q3131A to be relatively decent, but I always find the 1- 2 MOA all day with a RDS and M193 in my carbine comments to be a little headscratching.......

I thought she did pretty darn good with that round front sight on the 10/22 and that distance.

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top