Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2015 5:49:16 PM EDT
Here's the deal..  I got this stripped receiver in a trade and was told that it was a Colt. I know that they're is tons of casting marks and stamp marks to go by. Does anyone know what this is? I know the funny looking "A" stands for Harvey Anchor. Which is the company that forged it.  And I have seen the grind and STAMP marks (usually a "c").  Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a Colt upper.  BTW, that's an earlier version of the splintered A, so it looks a little different.  Either way, looks like a really nice C7 upper.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I sold this to a guy on the forum. All I stated is that it was a Colt upper like I was told.
Now the guy has came back weeks later after he left me positive feedback and said that it's not a colt. Says he has other C7 colt upper and they are all a light grey color and have big pivot pin holes. And since the "c" is stamped and not forged that it isn't a colt.
Is there anywhere I can go to get info stating that this particular upper is "colt"?
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I sold this to a guy on the forum. All I stated is that it was a Colt upper like I was told.
Now the guy has came back weeks later after he left me positive feedback and said that it's not a colt. Says he has other C7 colt upper and they are all a light grey color and have big pivot pin holes. And since the "c" is stamped and not forged that it isn't a colt.
Is there anywhere I can go to get info stating that this particular upper is "colt"?
View Quote

Color and pivot pin hole size have no bearing on whether it's Colt or not. Colt made rifles with standard pivot pin hole C7 receivers as well. A few years back, I had a Colt C7 receiver (Colt Kaiser "CK' forge) that was jet black in color and was original. That said, here you can see a Fulton Armory 604 type receiver that has a raised "C" mark along with an Anchor Harvey forge mark. It is not a Colt receiver. The one way to know for certain is if it has proof marks forward of the port door.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is NOT true.  I have a true C7 upper and it has a small pivot pin.  I'm sure other members will jump in here real soon.  But Colt has used the stamped C on it's receivers even up to modern day production.  I hope you get the moderators involved regarding this dispute.  Buyer should have asked for better pictures and do a little homework before he jumped the gun.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you guys. I never would intentionally try to do anyone wrong. I have 100% positive feedback on every site I'm on.  I feel the same way about asking questions or for more pictures.
Thank you Pro2ndAm for trying to help. I know I've seen it somewhere about the stamped C being a Colt.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 8:37:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like the light grey big pivot hole upper he has is an R6500 upper. Still a colt just different than what you sold, so yeah he's wrong.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:14:14 AM EDT
[#7]
The thing is. He thinks this one in the pic isn't a Colt because the "c" is stamped in it and not forged (raised).  He was looking for a large pin upper and assumed this one was. And after 2 weeks he writes me back and said it isn't what he thought and that it isn't a Colt. That is where I'm at with this. I never said in my ad that it had the large pin hole. Or that it was a 1970's model upper. Etc.    And like I said before.. He actually left me positive feedback and said how nice was.

Is there a particular Moderator that I need to talk to?  I noticed there are numerous
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The thing is. He thinks this one in the pic isn't a Colt because the "c" is stamped in it and not forged (raised).  He was looking for a large pin upper and assumed this one was. And after 2 weeks he writes me back and said it isn't what he thought and that it isn't a Colt. That is where I'm at with this. I never said in my ad that it had the large pin hole. Or that it was a 1970's model upper. Etc.    And like I said before.. He actually left me positive feedback and said how nice was.

Is there a particular Moderator that I need to talk to?  I noticed there are numerous
View Quote

Tell that fella to kick rocks. Seriously.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:44:48 AM EDT
[#9]

I'll take that Colt Upper !!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I am the buyer of that C7 upper. Not a Colt expert and everything I've learned, I've learned here. There are no forge marks anywhere except the raised "A" and the stamped "c". No marks of any kind at the ejection port or the gas tube, unlike all the Colts I have. This upper has sear the sear cut outs, the Colts I have (3 C7/SP2) do not. And the op says it took me weeks to respond. Try 4 days. Sorry I work 70hr weeks and didn't have time to start on this receiver till Friday. I received it Monday the September 21, 2015. This is a similar upper that is being sold on slickguns.com for $62.99, I paid $140.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am the buyer of that C7 upper. Not a Colt expert and everything I've learned, I've learned here. There are no forge marks anywhere except the raised "A" and the stamped "c". No marks of any kind at the ejection port or the gas tube, unlike all the Colts I have. This upper has sear the sear cut outs, the Colts I have (3 C7/SP2) do not. And the op says it took me weeks to respond. Try 4 days. Sorry I work 70hr weeks and didn't have time to start on this receiver till Friday. I received it Monday the September 21, 2015. This is a similar upper that is being sold on slickguns.com for $62.99, I paid $140.
View Quote

The magic word is SP2.  Colt used a lot of left over parts in these "transitional" rifles.  But they're made for the commercial market and has the large-hole pivot pin.  This upper you bought from OP has a small-hole pivot pin and the sear-cut out, which makes it a mil-spec upper.  If you forgot, Colt was a contractor for the DOD.  They do from time to time buy forgings from other different suppliers and grind-off the forge-marks and stamp "C" to identify that they did the final machining on these uppers.  As for the color of the anodizing, the upper as pictured in this thread looks black to me.  Again, that's not all that unusual for Colt to use left over parts in production of new rifles or even sell left over parts to other manufacturers.  This upper may have left Colt in the white and was anodized by someone else, who really knows.  But the color of the anodizing does NOT mean it's NOT a Colt upper.

I am NOT a mod, so I'm going to stick to what I know about this subject.  BTW, do you have a link to this deal for supposedly the same upper on Slickguns?  But for argument sake, let's just say the uppers you found on Slickguns are identical to the one you bought in every aspect and they sell for less than half of what you paid OP, it's call "buyer's remorse" and we all, including myself have been there and done that  Sorry for the rambling, it's just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#12]
If this upper is in deed a Colt I have no problem keeping it and building it up. Everything I've read is that it is missing essential identifying forge marks at the port. Color, pivot pin size, sear cutout and forge marks lead me to believe it may not be a Colt. I hope it is a Colt upper because the OP told me he already spent the money on a rail and it appears I won't see a dime if it isn't Colt. Buyer's remorse.....ONLY IF THIS ISN"T A COLT.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#13]
You should try to get ahold of Augee on this site. Maybe in the retro forum.
He is pretty much the resident expert on all things Colt.

That being said, as not an expert, I believe this is a Colt upper.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 8:44:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Here are a couple I found on Google that have a stamped "c" that people say are Colt off of this site from the past

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I was wrong about the time span as when he contacted me after receiving and leaving me positive feedback. It was closer to 4-5 days. He is right about that. But I think he bought this thinking he was getting a SP2?(large pin upper) and that isn't what it was. Or what I said it was in my ad.  And now has buyers remorse. Because I had a very clear picture of the stamp and forge marks in my ad.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:44:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Buyer: I would also recommend contacting augee or someone like myself in the retro section but having owned both r6500, colt sporter a2 models and a2's it looks like a colt to me
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 12:44:38 AM EDT
[#18]
a stamped C usually means Colt.  it used to almost guarantee Colt but with the slickside 9mm uppers we've seen being sold on the secondary market, that throws some doubt on that particular upper.  i haven't seen C stamped non-Colts outside that slickside upper.

i think those were more than likely overruns that Colt didn't want and they sold it to the commercial market.  much like the FK marked A2 uppers that were sold on Bushmasters.  You'll also see uppers sometimes w/ the forge code ground off for this explicit reason.

i guess Colt is too busy w/ their financial issues to tell their supplier to remove the C mark before reselling them.

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 1:31:29 AM EDT
[#19]
These markings are on a police trade in Colt 11.5" upper I bought from ADCO a couple of years ago.  The barrel, bolt, and bolt carrier are all correctly marked to be Colt so I don't doubt mine is a factory Colt upper.

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 1:41:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
These markings are on a police trade in Colt 11.5" upper I bought from ADCO a couple of years ago.  The barrel, bolt, and bolt carrier are all correctly marked to be Colt so I don't doubt mine is a factory Colt upper.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5804/21666701478_7e39d47554_o.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5655/21666701778_33a3045963_o.jpg
View Quote

yours has those interesting grind marks.  wonder what forge marking was removed and then stamped with C.  guess Colt didn't mind.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5804/21666701478_7e39d47554_o.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5655/21666701778_33a3045963_o.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for posting pics of your late Colt 733 upper (with C7/C8 upper)  Again, the upper bought and sold in this threads looks identical to Wildcat's 733 upper, down to the grind marks during removal of the forge code and the stamped C.  Also absent are the usual C inside a square and VP inside triangle proof-marks forward of the EP.  I picked up this Colt gray upper in on a trade, but thought it was a C7 upper until I got in the mail.  Gas tube hole has a "4" on top and upper has shallow 700's series feed-ramps, which makes it a late 723 upper.  There's no forge-mark on the web of the receiver, but there are the Colt Verified Proof marks forward of the EP.

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Thank you to everyone that helped with information and pictures. The situation has been resolved thanks to the help from a lot of very knowledgeable members here on the site that didn't mind helping.  And the Mod (ten) was quick to answer questions that I had also.
Thank you everyone
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top