Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2015 1:51:35 PM EDT
Just bought a 6920 with an A2 handle/sight on it. It looked a little odd to me for some reason......

Then I figured it out....they had put the carrying handle/rear sight back ONE SLOT on the rail. That means the rear sight slightly over rides and covers the charging handle from the top.....It therefore offers a little protection to it....and since you aren't using a red dot etc....the "loss" of one rail slot means nothing......

Anyone else do this? I'd never seen it before. Good idea, bad idea?
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#1]
probably done by accident
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Extra sight radius, bro.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 12:41:02 AM EDT
[#3]
The closer you get a peep to your eye, the better it works.  And a little more sight radius.
Moon
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I noticed someone do this with a Cut Carry Handle and I told him it was one slot back.  And he kind of blew me off and acted like it wasn't.  So, then it hit me about what the guy before me said and I tried it myself.  Of course it puts the ap a little closer to your eye and IMHO gives you a better sight picture on a carbine especially.  I doubt that little bit of extra sight radius matters, but I sure do like the way the sight picture looks . However, it just looks so wrong with a full carry handle.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I noticed someone do this with a Cut Carry Handle and I told him it was one slot back.  And he kind of blew me off and acted like it wasn't.  So, then it hit me about what the guy before me said and I tried it myself.  Of course it puts the ap a little closer to your eye and IMHO gives you a better sight picture on a carbine especially.  I doubt that little bit of extra sight radius matters, but I sure do like the way the sight picture looks . However, it just looks so wrong with a full carry handle.  

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp53264%3Enu%3D3235%3E392%3E252%3EWSNRCG%3D323758%3C985%3B54nu0mrj

View Quote

I'm in the process of building a 14.5" A2 upper rifle- parts gun, gotta use up all those left over bits and pieces-CAR double heat shield handguards, M4 buttstocks,  ..$40 Anderson integral trigger guard, used HTS paired with a less LPK from Palmetto- cheap build.....I have a couple of carrying handles and may cut one down and set it up that way.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:42:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Like this?

Obviously the CCH isn't in that rear position on the last pic, but it is on this set up, although it's hard to tell.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I think both of these M4's have them moved back one slot.....

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 11:19:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not sure that will work with the front sight very well.  Talk about aiming for the sky..........
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#10]
When I had a cut-carry handle rear sight, I preferred running it one slot "back" from it's usual position to increase the amount of available rail space forward of the sight.  

However, particularly with military rifles - the number one reason you will see carry handles mounted a slot back is that it needs to be mounted that way in order to fit into a USGI M12 rifle rack, because the thumbnut/attachment lug would interfere with the locking bar of the rack if the carry handle were mounted in the "proper" position, flush with the front of the upper receiver:

(see the two carbines to the right - no carry handles mounted, but you can see how they would interfere with the locking bar)

While some users go ahead and move the carry handle for returning it to the rack, and move it back for shooting, very often, shooters will either simply not notice, or decide that it's better to zero in place than to zero their rifle, then take it back to the arms room, remove the zeroed carry handle, move it back one notch, then have to re-tighten it in the forward position again the next time they take it out.  

Whether or not various "GI" legends have grown up around "why" it's best to use the rifle with the carry handle mounted to the rear one notch - the real reason is very simple... it's a lot like that old "cutting the ends off the brisket" story.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 1:34:20 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

EXACTLY like that!

I have a pretty convoluted plan for this to happen.....I'm waiting for Palmetto to get some more of their 14.5" uppers back in stock and will buy one. They come with a flat top of course. I could just buy a barrel but I've always found it to be a pain in the ass to get a front sight tower set up on a bare barrel. They NEVER line up with the gas port and you have to cross drill for pins- I don't trust screw on gas blocks etc... no thanks. It's lots cheaper to just buy the completed Palmetto and then I'll just swap out the upper receiver with an old A2 that I have and then use it's flat top for a 20" Government build.....I WANT a short barrel A2 as a "beater".....
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#12]
BHD carbine baby.

Augee, no kidding that is awesome.  I guess maybe I sound stupid....  Although I didn't claim to know WHY the military guys do it.  But seeing it made me try it and I still think it gives a more palatable sight picture with the small ap......  
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
BHD carbine baby.

Augee, no kidding that is awesome.  I guess maybe I sound stupid....  Although I didn't claim to know WHY the military guys do it.  But seeing it made me try it and I still think it gives a more palatable sight picture with the small ap......  
View Quote

Somewhere I have a Fiberrite stock....I'll probably end up with an M4 16" upper....the PSA 14.5" uppers are either A2 profile or Ultra Light....which I don't think will give the look I'm wanting....probably going 16" CHF M4....Hopefully they will get them back in stock before long. I bought a used Aero lower today out of the local pawn shop, $50....guy bought it several months ago and apparently decided it was too complicated to build one Brought it back....not a scratch...I've always liked the Aeros, excellent anodizing and tolerances.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Looking forward to seeing your build......

Link Posted: 9/29/2015 12:23:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Do not freak, I am a Sikh.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top