Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2015 8:29:51 PM EDT
This came off of a National Match Upper has anyone ever seen this before? was it done for a reason?  I also added a forge code so you can tell its not marked who completed it

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen a few uppers over the years without the charging handle latch-hole milled out.  But I've always thought they're either factory 2nds or was rejected at QC stage.  The upper you have pictured looks to be real rough forging prior to finish and it shows after blasting and anodizing.  I'd say it's a reject but I'm sure it works fine.  If you're going to do most of your shooting prone or on the bench instead of dragging it through the bushes or crawling around in the sand, mud and dirt--there's no need to have the charging handle locked in place anyway.

ETA:  K forge-code is Kaiser Aluminum.  But lord knows who finished the upper
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#2]
There was another thread about an upper that didn't have that area milled out. If I remember correctly the general consensus was that it managed to slip by QC. Mistakes happen. I'm sure it wasn't intentional. Maybe someone will come along with some information on how to get that milled out. But for the being, leave the Dremel alone.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Its gonna be on a trunk gun build so my skill to mill it out and make it functional is very good.   Just wanted to see if there was a reason for it to have no catch on a Match upper.  Like speed in charging?  by not having the handle latch
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top