Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/19/2015 9:55:04 PM EDT
So, I just finished my fixed middy and wasn't sure what to build next. I was looking at CDNN and I got bit by the nostalgia bug, I saw the DPMS A2 uppers for $50 and I jumped. I've never had an A2, and I decided to build a rifle just like what I used to qualify with in the USAF(for as little as possible money). Here's the breakdown;

CDNN

DPMS A2 upper: $50

BROWNELLS

DPMS lower: $60
DPMS A2 rear sight assm: $34

WINDHAM WEAPONRY

A2 barrel assm kit: $270
A2 stock kit: $80

SURPLUS AMMO

SAA lpk: $45
SAA bcg: $80
SAA upk w/charging handle: $23

So, for $642(not including shipping or transfer fee, shh, the wife don't need to know!) I'll have an A2. Very generic, I know, I'm looking forward to this build nonetheless. I'll report when I get it all together.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#1]
PICS!!!

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:17:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Look forward to seeing pics of the final build.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PICS!!!

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm only sitting on an upper right now, ordered the Lower and A2 sight assm today. Windham will be next to get my money, then SAA. I should have everything by the end of Sept, and will have it put together by early Oct. I'll have pics then.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 12:54:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Any particular reason why SAA? PSA has been having crazy sales lately, premium bcgs for $80 shipped hp/mpi marked.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:47:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I just like the way SAA bundles their parts better, and I like the variety they offer as well.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Understandable. I went to there store a few times when I was stationed in WA. Though store and online store are two different entities
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:15:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes. Very interested in seeing your completed build,
I too.. like the old A2s
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Will do. Got my lower yesterday, finish matches the upper perfectly.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Wooohooooo!
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#11]
$645.00 seems a bit high for a run of the mill A2 these days if not using Colt/FN parts, I've built A2's for 650-750 with mostly all Colt/FN parts...... You should shop around for some better deals on a lower, the smalls, and lower componants, etc like others have mentioned. You really should be in the $500.00 to $575.00 price range.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
$645.00 seems a bit high for a run of the mill A2 these days if not using Colt/FN parts, I've built A2's for 650-750 with mostly all Colt/FN parts...... You should shop around for some better deals on a lower, the smalls, and lower componants, etc like others have mentioned. You really should be in the $500.00 to $575.00 price range.
View Quote

Why don't you post some links to these "better deals" that you think he could do better on? I thought it seemed a bit high too but after I've looked at his list, I'm not so sure. Don't forget that he built the complete gun, he didn't have a set of A2 handguards and a stock set in a parts bin, or an upper left over from another build(etc.etc). About the only part that I think he could have done better on would have been the A2 stock kit. All of his parts were new also, could you say the same for the FN/Colt build?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Why don't you post some links to these "better deals" that you think he could do better on? I thought it seemed a bit high too but after I've looked at his list, I'm not so sure. Don't forget that he built the complete gun, he didn't have a set of A2 handguards and a stock set in a parts bin, or an upper left over from another build(etc.etc). About the only part that I think he could have done better on would have been the A2 stock kit. All of his parts were new also, could you say the same for the FN/Colt build?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I scoured the EE for what I needed but the BCG and barrel were New. Everything else takeoffs..... I don't see a need for new everything, when top tier parts can be had cheap. Also many would be willing to donate parts including myself for his build.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Nothing wrong with used parts at all. It's a good idea to be patient and watch for good deals and buildd it as you acquire parts but sometimes it's easy to want it immediately and for that, you have to pay more most of the time...

I'm waiting on a barrel and A2X hider, peel washer and bolt carrier group to be delivered for a 727 build. I have a stock, handguards, complete upper. Can't wait! Sorry for the hijack...
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I have nothing against used parts, and I already have several AR parts laying around that I could've used in this build. I just want to build this one from the ground up new. I'm content with paying the prices I've listed, and realize I'm paying for convenience on a couple products(specifically the Windham stuff). I didn't want to scour for every part at the lowest cost possible, I wanted to get new parts from as few vendors as possible. I appreciate the possibility, but I do not need donations. I'd rather see freebie parts go to a newb that's struggling to afford his first rifle together. If anything, I should be the one donating parts.

Speaking of used parts, that's not something I've tried before. I've put in used parts before, but never tried assembling an entire AR all out of secondhand parts for the lowest cost possible.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:26:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have nothing against used parts, and I already have several AR parts laying around that I could've used in this build.

Speaking of used parts, that's not something I've tried before. I've put in used parts before, but never tried assembling an entire AR all out of secondhand parts for the lowest cost possible.
View Quote

You've just given me / and maybe yourself. .
A great "next project "
Build an A2 out of nothing but used parts.
should be fun :)
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:08:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't know - I think the OP did ok with his parts list. This is what I've gathered up for my Standard 20" A2 Rifle Build:

CDNN
DPMS A2 Upper Receiver & Standard A2 Flash Suppressor  - $55 (shipped)

Aim Surplus
Anderson Arms Stripped Lower Receiver - $40 ($65 After $10 Shipping & $15 Transfer Fee)

PSA
A2 Delta Ring Assembly - $22 (shipped)

Delton Inc.
Complete CMMG M16 Bolt-Carrier Assembly - $105 (shipped)

Brownells
DPMS A2 Upper Parts kit w/Charging Handle - ($50)
DPMS Lower Parts kit - ($50)
Standard Rifle Gas Tube & Pin ($8)
M16 Buttstock cleaning kit w/case & oil bottle - ($15)
Total price (w/ free shipping) for everything from Brownells - $123

Windham Weaponry
A2 Gov't Profile 1in7 twist 20" A2 Barrel Sub-Assembly w/standard A2 front sight base & sight assembly, handguard end cap, sling swivel, rivet, & barrel nut - $240 (shipped)

E-bay
5 A2 flash suppressor peel-washers - $5 (shipped)

AR-15 Equipment Exchange
Standard A2 Rifle Stock Assembly (new in wrap w/metal trapdoor) - $60 (Shipped)

KnifeCenter.com
Standard OKC M9 Bayonet - $65 (shipped)

Local Gun Show Purchases
Standard A2 Black "Silent" Sling Assembly (new in wrap) - $5
2 Center Industries Corp 30-round mags (new in wrap) - $25
Standard set of A2 hand guards (new in wrap) - $10

So for this brand new basic AR15A2 rifle w/ bayonet, sling, trap-door cleaning kit, & two 30-round mags, it has cost me a grand total of $780. Could I have saved a few more bucks?...sure, though for me, the extra costs spent to ensure having all new parts without a bunch of haggling, uncertainty, or unnecessary waiting was well-worth it.

For now, I am leaving this rifle as a completely unassembled collection of component parts & supplies packed away carefully in a simple, cardboard box as a kind of tribute to the olden WWII days of "Jeeps-in-a-crate" with this being my "Rifle-in-a-box" version of that practice, though I will, at some point in the future, assemble it; QA & test it; and of course - post pics of it both here & in it's own thread on these forums later on.

I look forward to seeing pics of the OP's build as well. There's something about assembling your own rifle; firing it; and hitting your target - that just makes you feel instantly better about being you.

ETA: My AR15A2 "Rifle-In-A-Box"

ETA:
Couldn't resist the urge to put the thing together:

Just ordered a couple more of these receivers to finish up some other projects...
FlDiveCop71
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Sledneck27, I think you did just fine for an "All New A2 Rifle".

What you have failed to do, is post pic's of your new A2 Rifle.  And now you also need to do a Range Report.

I hope it shoots extremely well for you.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sledneck27, I think you did just fine for an "All New A2 Rifle".

What you have failed to do, is post pic's of your new A2 Rifle.  And now you also need to do a Range Report.

I hope it shoots extremely well for you.

View Quote

Indeed. Waiting for the pics.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 12:36:27 AM EDT
[#20]

I believe in Positive Thinking.  I always hope that everyone's, retro and current builds work and shoot perfectly for them.

BUT, you'd better post those pic's !!!

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 8:02:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I paid in the range of $750.  for my Truck Gun Deuce  A2 rifle, but at the same time, I wanted some specific parts in it...so price was not really the driver here.   I got a good deal on an FN barrel, but some other pieces were likely at or a bit above "street" price.  I wanted a Colt rear sight assembly, and receiver extension,  an FN bolt with Toolcraft 1B1B6 carrier.   The UTG FDE A2 butt, the BAF upper, and Spikes lower also raised the price above bargain basement levels.  To each .....whatever you're willing to pay !  
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#22]
We're still waiting on that report & pics Sledneck27...
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#23]
So....have you finished building yours yet Sledneck? We're still waiting to see some pics...
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:27:09 PM EDT
[#24]
+1 for pics!

Also how is everybody liking the Windham A2 barrels?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:28:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
+1 for pics!

View Quote

Couldn't be happier with mine.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:02:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1 for pics!

Very nice

1/7" twist
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top