AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2015 10:53:25 AM EDT
I've been told this very rare want to know if any body has or seen one. Thanks

" />
" />
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw a pic of your Coltguard aka electroless nickel A2 in the Retro-forum and it IS indeed rare piece.  Thanks for posting detailed pics here in this forum so the guys who frequents this forum can appreciate it too.  May be you should change your handle to "RareBird"
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Could you explain why your rifle is rare? I can see some obvious differences between yours and a standard A2, but would like to know more. Thanks! Nice rifle!
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Could you explain why your rifle is rare? I can see some obvious differences between yours and a standard A2, but would like to know more. Thanks! Nice rifle!
View Quote

I'm sure the owner of the rifle will jump in here soon.  But what makes this rifle rare is the finish.  Coltguard is an electroless nickel plating finish that Colt offered as an option for firearms it produced for the civilian market.  Coltguard was popular with the SP1 or A1 rifles that Colt offered.  But this IS the only A2 I have seen with this finish.  My understanding is the original owner of this rifle can pretty much get what he wanted from Colt.  I guess he wanted an A2 in Coltguard and the Colt Custom Shop pretty much gave him whatever he wanted.  I had a Colt Mustang .380 ACP in Coltguard and like an idiot, I sold it when I needed some cash
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:15:22 PM EDT
[#4]
You pretty much nailed it the previous owner could and did get what ever he wanted. He even made up his own serial numbers and that is where the tactical carbine with an all zero serial number came from. You can see the pic in my other post.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:19:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Any one-of-a-kind item is worth exactly what you can get someone to pay for it.

There is no such thing as market pricing for one of a kind items.

It might be worth a million dollars.  It might be worth no more than the next Coltguard SP1 in line on the auction site.  That's all down to fate.

If you set your reserve at what you're willing to part with it for, at least you'll never have any regrets.... you'll get that amount or maybe much more, or not and not have to let it go.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:40:46 AM EDT
[#6]
the SP serial range is very close to the SP1s that were Coltguarded.  I don't think Colt reused the SP serial numbers when they transitioned into the Sporter designation so it's probably a very early Spoter too.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top