Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/3/2015 7:16:09 PM EDT
A local guy on a FB gun group was selling a "stag" upper for $275 with BCG/CH.  All I could tell was it was an 20" A2 upper.

I offered him $200 an Anderson stripped lower and $30 in ammo and he took the deal.  

I got the upper home and noticed it was marked "CM" in front of the rear sight the M is slighter of set lower than the C.  There are also two marks on the front right of the upper one is a triangle and under that is a three sided box with a c in it both are faint.  There are no F marks on the FSB.  The hand guard has single heat shields.  The barrel is marked C MP 5.56 NATO, on the MP the long part of the P is the right leg of the M.  The front take down hole looks like it has a spacer pressed in to make it small hole.  When mounted on a lower there is a noticeable gap between upper and lower.  The bolt would not go into battery and was filthy, I tried it in a BCM upper and it worked fine but the BCM bolt would not work in this upper.  I cleaned and oiled the BCG and upper and found a small piece of a primer in the barrel extension, after removing it the upper functions fine.  The upper has no feed ramps and the extension is rifle.

The charging handle looks like a cheap one and has a lacquer coat, its not parked.  The bolt is marked CMP.  The carrier is full auto and has a C on the left side.  

Do I have a Colt A2 upper and I'd love any ideas of how I should build it?  I think I have an A2 stock somewhere and I know I have a Magpul rifle stock and hand guard, I'm leaning toward an A2 build and would like to make it as authentic as I can without spending a ton of cash.  

I can get some pictures if anyone needs to see a marking.

Thanks

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Like a friend of mine would say "It smells like a Colt."  Appears to be a factory assembled large-hole A2 upper with Colt BCG to boot.  So what if the charging handle isn't Colt.  You've got a great foundation to start any A2 rifle build for roughly $280 bucks in cash, cheap lower & ammo.  With the prices of AR parts these days, you could finish your Colt A2 clone for under $500 bucks.  Don't forget to post pics when you're done.  Here's a pic of my Colt M16A2 clone:

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:52:07 PM EDT
[#2]

I'm bothered by the gap between the upper and lower.  I have no experience with the large hole adapters, but it looks to me like thinnest part should be on the bottom to eliminate the gap.  Any suggestions on a good lower to use, I thought about the new Colt stripped ones but they have the built in curved trigger guard.  I'd like something with a low key logo.  

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:50:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/corranq/7315%20176_zpsuutpbu0a.jpg  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/corranq/7315%20175_zpsdnrwzof7.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/corranq/7315%20173_zpsnlinmmeb.jpg

I'm bothered by the gap between the upper and lower.  I have no experience with the large hole adapters, but it looks to me like thinnest part should be on the bottom to eliminate the gap.  Any suggestions on a good lower to use, I thought about the new Colt stripped ones but they have the built in curved trigger guard.  I'd like something with a low key logo.  

View Quote

The adapter bushing usually moves around, but some folks will use a dab of Loctite or crazy glue to keep it in place.  I'd use a correct size drift punch and remove it.  Then, you could reinstall the bushing to minimize the gap between upper & lower--it's just something you really can't eliminate.  I used a NoDak Spud gray A2 lower with no logo and the anodizing seems to match my Colt CM forge-marked A2 upper pretty well.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top