Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2015 6:42:36 AM EDT
My son and I built this gun together and the finished product weighs 7 lbs. 14 oz. (as pictured, with an empty mag)

{when I can figure out how to post a photo, I will}

I showed it to my dad and the first thing he said is wow it is heavy, it is only supposed to weigh 6 lbs.
He was in the National Guard and I'm assuming he is going from memory when he served.

Is he correct?

We did not build the gun considering the weight of any of the components but I just curious why this gun
would weigh so much more that the 6 lb. number my dad threw out.

Here is the major component list:

Stock: UTG A2
Upper Receiver and hardware: DPMS
Lower Receiver: Standard forged
BCG: PSA Full Auto
LPK and Grip: PSA
FSB: Del-ton
Flash Hider: DPMS three prong
Barrel: JSE Surplus 20" Government profile (mid weight- not a pencil or an HBAR) (.750 gas block area)
Handguards: Used Surplus
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 7:22:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Thats about right on for a 20" barrel A2 for weight. Im sure someone will post a dead on weight of a government profle  20" barrel A2 for you to compare to.  He possibly could have used an M16 A1 with a thinner barrel, lighter stock and handguards with 20rnd mags.

Off the top of my head I believe my factory Colt 6920 Magpul addition was 6.7 or 6.8 pounds.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 7:43:50 AM EDT
[#2]
M16A2 Stock weight 7.89lbs

M16A1 stock weight 6.37lbs

I assume he is referencing the latter.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My son and I built this gun together and the finished product weighs 7 lbs. 14 oz. (as pictured, with an empty mag)

{when I can figure out how to post a photo, I will}

I showed it to my dad and the first thing he said is wow it is heavy, it is only supposed to weigh 6 lbs.
He was in the National Guard and I'm assuming he is going from memory when he served.

Is he correct?

We did not build the gun considering the weight of any of the components but I just curious why this gun
would weigh so much more that the 6 lb. number my dad threw out.

Here is the major component list:

Stock: UTG A2
Upper Receiver and hardware: DPMS
Lower Receiver: Standard forged
BCG: PSA Full Auto
LPK and Grip: PSA
FSB: Del-ton
Flash Hider: DPMS three prong
Barrel: JSE Surplus 20" Government profile (mid weight- not a pencil or an HBAR) (.750 gas block area)
Handguards: Used Surplus
View Quote

Unlike many, I actually own a digital scale and have weighed a lot of ARs in a lot of different configurations.  One of the first things that you'll notice is how often manufacturer's misrepresent the weight of things (and figure people will never notice, and they are usually right for the most part).  All below weights are with no magazine or sling and are weights with 20" barrels.

A stock AR15A2 clone with standard components and a GI profile barrel (skinny under handguards) will weigh between 7 lbs. 8 ounces - 7 lbs. 12 ounces.  

An AR15A4 (flat top with carry handle attached) with standard components and GI profile barrel will weigh between 7 lbs. 12 ounces - 8 lbs. 0 ounces (is about a quarter pound heavier on average).

A 20" Colt SP1 or M16A1 clone will weigh just about 7 pounds even (nowhere close to 6 pounds).  Now a 16" A1 style carbine will weigh around 6 lbs. depending on configuration.  

With all that being said, assuming your scale is accurate, 7 pounds 14 ounces is slightly heavy for an A2.   Are you sure you guys built a FIXED carry handle A2 and not a flat top with attached carry handle?
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Blain, I think some of the 20" M16 retro copies can be had under 7.  Maybe if it doesn't have a FA?  Since we have no clue what his Dad actually carried.  But yeah, 6 even would be a bit light I think.  And I do agree that usually their closer to 7.

But yeah, I've weighed my A2 and I think it's 7lbs 8 ounces.  Or maybe it's 7.8 lbs.  That's probably it. I have two different scales and one does the ounces and the other just does a decimal point.  So 7.8 lbs would be about 7 lbs 10-12 or so......  Mine's a Colt.  I don't feel like doing the math on .8 of 16 ounces....  LOL.  My son just said .8 of 16 is 12.8.  So I think mine goes 7lbs 12.8 ounces.  Very close to yours OP.

Just be glad it's not an HBar.  20" HBar's are some front heavy beasts....      I think an A2 with a Govt' barrel handles and balances very well.  Even it if it is heavier than a carbine.  Of course most guys once they hang all the stuff off their M4gery's end up with 9lb's or so.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:31:58 PM EDT
[#5]
The Colt SP1 with slab side, unreinforced, lower, 20" pencil barrel, and slick side upper (no FA or BB) come in at right under 7 lbs.  

Keep in mind that balance will perceive something to have a lighter weight than it is.  A 16" M4 carbine variant will also weigh around 7lbs.  However, it will feel a lot heavier and more unwieldy because the weight is concentrated in a smaller space. Likewise, a 20" full sized AR at 7 lbs. feels very light and nimble in comparison.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:08:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I am using a upper with an integrated carry handle from DPMS.

I guess my dad could have very well been using an M16A1. He was in the Guard in the 60's.

Can someone give me instructions on how to properly insert pictures in my posts?
Sorry I'm a newbie to this forum and don't know how.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  I am using a upper with an integrated carry handle from DPMS.

I guess my dad could have very well been using an M16A1. He was in the Guard in the 60's.

Can someone give me instructions on how to properly insert pictures in my posts?
Sorry I'm a newbie to this forum and don't know how.
View Quote

Yes, the M16A2 wasn't adopted by the Army until 1982.  You can use the picture icon to post pictures (the button w/ the mountain peaks & the sun), but know that you won't be able to see the picture you've posted until a certain number of Team Members vote to approve your picture.  Once you have 50 posts, your pictures will display normally.

Welcome to ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#8]
My FN 20 inch A2 weighs 7 lb, 6 oz without a magazine.  With an empty 30 round magazine at 5 oz. you are right in the pocket.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Colt upper that is from the earliest days of A2 production.  It is a touch, say about 2-3 oz. lighter than my later A2 uppers from Colt and FN.  The great thing about the A2 is the balance point is just behind the front riser of the carry handle, producing nearly perfect balance....and great handling !  Best infantry rifle ever fielded !
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Probably the neutered bcg.  I have one of them.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#11]
oops duplicate sorry
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I can tell you from memory ( drilled into my head from my drill instructors ) the16a1 service rifle is a light weight, magazine fed, gas operated, air cooled shoulder fired weapon capable of semi automatic or fully automatic Fire by the use of a selector switch firing a 5.56 mm round with a muzzle velocity of 2950 ft per second and has a dry weight of 6.5 pounds.
The M16A2 ( designed by the Marine Corps for the Marine Corps btw) has a dry weight of 8.2 lb, mainly due to a heavier barrel, thicker handgrips, the addition of the case deflector on the upper receiver and a lower with extra protection around the magazine release  and of course the rear sight assembly adjustable for elevation as well as windage.
Shot high expert with the A1 6 times,  carried it in Beruit and 3 deployments, shot high expert with the A2 14 times, carried it in Grenada, Panama, Desert Storm and Haiti.
Carried the A4  on 2 deployments to Afganistan and 1 to Fallujah.
Prefer the A2 for most things and the A4 for urban combat environments.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:54:50 AM EDT
[#13]
M16A2 has a much higher muzzle velocity with both M855 and M193, both well over 3000fps from a 20" barrel.

The M4 even will spit the 62gr M855 out at 2920fps, and it only has a 14.5" barrel.

Beirut in '83?  There for the bombings? April or Oct?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:13:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
M16A2 has a much higher muzzle velocity with both M855 and M193, both well over 3000fps from a 20" barrel.

The M4 even will spit the 62gr M855 out at 2920fps, and it only has a 14.5" barrel.

View Quote

October
BLT 1/8, 24th MAU .
On post at time of attack was a young LCpl on my first hitch.

Yes on the.A2 muzzle velocity. when I was. A DI the quoted muzzle velocity of the A2 for recruit training was 3200 fps .
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:25:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:  M16A2 has a much higher muzzle velocity with both M855 and M193, both well over 3000fps from a 20" barrel.

View Quote

That sounds high.  Thought M855 (not A1) was 3000 fps out of a 20" bbl, M193 was around 3200.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That sounds high.  Thought M855 (not A1) was 3000 fps out of a 20" bbl, M193 was around 3200.
View Quote

Out of a 20" barrel, M855 is around 3,070 - 3,120 fps.

Out of a 20" barrel, M193 is around 3,220 - 3,270 fps.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:22:41 AM EDT
[#17]
My Franken Build A4 weighs 7 pounds 7.6 ounces, empty w/o sling or magazine, but with a RRA 6/3 Stand Alone Rear Sight. It also has a F/A Bolt Carrier. If you have a full shrouded AR-15 Bolt Carrier, it would weigh ~0.7 ozs less.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
M16A2 Stock weight 7.89lbs

M16A1 stock weight 6.37lbs

I assume he is referencing the latter.
View Quote

This would be correct.  I bet he used an A1.  The A2 is a heavier rifle.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top