Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2015 6:55:34 PM EDT
Usually I don't find deals at Gander Mtn on guns, but I was looking for some fishing gear and they were closeby, back in the used gun section I saw this rifle sitting on the rack priced at $549.99, by the looks of the rifle it was definately a parts gun, no big surprise, but for the price I figured it was worth a further look, I ended up putting it on layaway for a couple weeks. The lower is a Charles Dal\y, the upper is marked with a "PA" forge mark, the barrel is government profile and marked "E MP 5.56 NATO 1/7", the bore is is excellent shape and no issue seen. As you can see from the pictures, the bolt carrier is a smooth side, staked properly and it is a full auto version to boot. The upper is dry as a bone and has stains from the dry fil lube common on military surplus M16 parts I have seen in the past. I only had time to get 3 pictures of the gun, but can anybody tell me more on what I got here from the pictures I posted, I figured I couldn't go wrong at that price.
" />
" />
" />
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#1]
According to an archived thread, PA is from Capco/Anchor Harvey. I did not look them up, but it gives you a starting point. Almost any functioning A2 is worth throwing $550 at imho. you can always sell it or part it out, and/or use the best parts for the basis of a new gun.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a Colt 604 carrier.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

In a forward assist receiver?  Maybe, but I wouldn't think so.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It is, early also..look at the FP retaining pin "large" hole.

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:45:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, send me your carrier. I'll put it in the correct slick side Heck, I could trade

You did great at $550!
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I think you did well.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I checked the rifle out today, the chamber is fine, it was not one of the barrels that had rough machine marks, I feel better considering it was a parts gun.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Its appears to have a no tick safety. Can you get a picture of the FCG?
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#9]
The FCG is standard AR15 config, nothing special there, the buffer looks a little odd compared to normal rifle buffers I've seen, When I get the rifle off layaway next friday, I will  post some more pictures of the bolt and carrier, to see if I have founds a parts gun with some extra bonuses.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#10]

If I ran across an A2 for $550., I'd probably snap it up so fast the clerk's neck would hurt.

I think you did very well for yourself.

I hope it shoots great for you.

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 11:57:33 PM EDT
[#11]
"E" marked barrels were made by Emco.  From what I can tell via online research, they were made for A1 to A2 conversions and depot replacement of existing barrels.  Some of them had bad chambers and were recalled, but there are still a lot of them out there that are fine.  I have one on a C7 clone, and it is a laser.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 3:11:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Wasn't there a company that made replacement A2 barrels for ANAD back when? I could swear they put a "P" on the barrels

That's not what the upper is?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#13]
After looking over the rifle, the barrel looks to be made by EMCO, based on the barrel markings, the A2 upper is a CAPCO based on the forging mark, the A2 flash hider uses the peel washers and the roll pin holding the gas tube into front sight tower has a dab of paint over the side it was pushed into. The bolt is a FNMI as indicated by the markings MPF with a line under the F. The bolt carrier is a smooth side M16, no markings that I can find. I have included a picture of the carrier, but overall for the price I paid, I'm happy with a parts gun to plink with.
" />
" />
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:42:33 PM EDT
[#14]
CAPCO!!! That's who I was thinking of.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:28:39 AM EDT
[#15]
As mentioned earlier, that's an early Colt 604 carrier. Early enough that there will be no "C" marking on its left side.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#16]
What is a value range on one of these carriers, I'm looking for a forward assist M16 bolt carrier, preferably a colt one like this smooth side version that was inside this rifle.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Is the upper recvr front pivot pin recessed on left side for a 601 front pivot pin ?
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:48:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
After looking over the rifle, the barrel looks to be made by EMCO, based on the barrel markings, the A2 upper is a CAPCO based on the forging mark, the A2 flash hider uses the peel washers and the roll pin holding the gas tube into front sight tower has a dab of paint over the side it was pushed into. The bolt is a FNMI as indicated by the markings MPF with a line under the F. The bolt carrier is a smooth side M16, no markings that I can find. I have included a picture of the carrier, but overall for the price I paid, I'm happy with a parts gun to plink with.
http://<a href=http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/delg5754/CAM00157_zps4hxciexx.jpg</a>" />
http://<a href=http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/delg5754/CAM00158_zps0tirmfr3.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

That looks like the carrier in my 610!

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:17:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Hey, delg1,  have you been able to get any range time with your new A2 yet?

Sorta been hoping to see a positive report from you about this rifle.

Hope you'll be able to post some range report & pic's soon.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes I have, I put 20rds through it, after I traded another member the smooth side bolt carrier for a modern Colt one plus some cash, it shoots great, i'm just waiting for a flat top upper that didn't have M4 ramps in it to arrive from another member and I will have the A2 upper swapped out and up for sale after the new upper is installed in its place. Then I will put some more rounds downrange with my new Aimpoint installed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I forgot about charles daly. its strange seeing it made like that. didnt know you could get a parts gun where you did
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#22]
it was a used trade in gun they had on the rack, for the price I paid for it, i would hate to see what they paid the original owner for it, right place right time at the least most likely store you would expect to find something like this.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:42:42 AM EDT
[#23]
I had an E marked barrel a long time ago.  No problems at all.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 1:25:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yes I have, I put 20rds through it, after I traded another member the smooth side bolt carrier for a modern Colt one plus some cash, it shoots great, i'm just waiting for a flat top upper that didn't have M4 ramps in it to arrive from another member and I will have the A2 upper swapped out and up for sale after the new upper is installed in its place. Then I will put some more rounds downrange with my new Aimpoint installed.
View Quote

First of all, you did great for the price you paid and I liked you until you said you're going to swap out the A2 upper and turn it into an A4  All kidding aside, I think you should leave this complete upper intact because that's exactly how they were issued by Uncle Sugar--as upgrades to the A1's.  I'd snag a 20" PSA gov't profile upper when they're on sale for $280 bucks without BCG and CH and use that with the Chuck Daley lower for an A4 clone set up.  Trust me, somewhere down the road, you're going to regret swapping A2 upper out for an A4.  It's just easier to leave the A2 set up alone and swap out complete uppers.  Better yet, just get another lower for the spare upper.  That's why this is a disease and yes I do admit I have BRD
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#25]
You can always drop a notched BCG inside and either keep the smooth BCG for a retro build or sell it on the EE. smpooth BCGs are not exactly a dime a dozen, so I personally would got with the 1st option.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I probably will keep the Capco/"PA" marked A2 upper just in case, but for now I will covert it to A4 configuration because that is the what I like now, but my question, all the other parts looked to be USGI issue, such as buttstock, grip, handguards and the bolt carrier was a old Colt smoothside and the bolt itself was FNMI marked. Now was this possibly one of the A2 upgrade kits that was surplused out sometime in the past on somebody put this upper and stock/grip on a commercial receiver? I took a closer look at the fire control components and the trigger, disconnector and the hammer were the burst configuration, the hook that normally contacts the auto sear was ground off. The burst cam and spring were missing, and a standard run of the mill semi-auto safety was installed. I have replaced the fire control components with a set of used Colt AR15 ones I just purchased at a gun show recently to get the burst control parts out of the gun.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Now was this possibly one of the A2 upgrade kits that was surplused out sometime in the past on somebody put this upper and stock/grip on a commercial receiver?
View Quote

Yes, which is why we are recommending leaving it intact.  You could do as Pro2ndAm suggested and get the PSA and sell this upper intact and probably make money on the deal.

Also, is the front lug on the upper countersunk on the left side?  If so, it was probably a Air Force upgrade kit, since they kept the 601 in inventory longer than the other branches.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:47:54 AM EDT
[#28]
I just saw OP's listing for the Capco A2 upper with Anchor Harvey (splintered A) forging on EE.  Sigh ... another A2 converted to A3/A4 configuration  Hopefully, upper will find another new home
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top