Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/4/2015 4:50:49 PM EDT
This is a pet project I've been dreaming about for some time, as all my other A2 rifles are safe queens to a large extent.  I almost bought one of the Capco uppers at Monroeville last November, but backed out at the last moment.  Two hundred bucks I should have spent!   Oh well,   A month ago I sprung for an A2 upper at Brownell's from B.A.F.  Once in hand, hey yunz know the drill !   Jumped on that A2 barrel over at Indiana Army Surplus, and she showed up in good shape.  A good cleaning brought the barrel back to life,  and the exterior cleaned up well.   The parts supply got me the rest of the way there.  Well almost....Wound up using a rear sight assy. off a carry handle, as a temporary expedient.  Timed up an A2 suppressor with peel washer....and ohhh La la -  A2 upper GTG.  Stuck in a generic M16 BCG.   For right now she sits atop my Colt 6721 lower with A2 stock  assy.  Lookin' good and feelin' right.  She'll get a set of her own lower goodies over the next few weeks...I'm thinking Spikes lower and the new UTG FDE A2 GI style butt stock, which will match the Cav. M4 "rifle" handies on the upper right now.  This is going to be my first AR that gets painted as well !   Keep yunz posted as it all comes together......Alpha Deuce forever !  
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Pictures when it's done please.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#2]

jaygee, I may have a real 3/8 FN Rifle A2 Rear Sight Assembly available for you soon if you want it.

Just send me an IM or Email.

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#3]
A bunch of the required parts showed up at my place last Fri. night, so we had a good time putting stuff together 'til  04:00 !   The UTG  A2 butt in FDE is not bad, although some of the components could surely be better.  The stock itself is GTG, except the hole for the screw holding the rear swivel is not drilled past the slot for the swivel itself.  Time for the drill.  The butt plate is OK, but uses an oversized trap door with a plastic locking latch.   A GI door won't fit, as it's going to be too small, and won't seal the slot.   The Receiver extension looks good, although I doubt it's the preferred 7075-T6 alloy.  The spring and buffer are gun-show fodder!   I was able to get a Tool Craft BC in new shape.  Next day I added a Spikes Calico lower (for now)  and a WW LPK.  The LPK was impressive stuff  !     Borrowing a MIAD grip and cleaning gear from another member of the harum, got the Truck Gun Deuce close enough for a good feel up !  Eventually, the DPMS A2 rear sight will go, as it just looks "cheap".....and a better fitting plastic butt plate in black will be obtained.    Getting closer to the day when paint will be applied, and the project more or less is  complete.  .
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Hitting up Brownell's for a Colt 7075-T6  R.E.   This will complete the T.G.D. for the time being.  Since I have another Deuce that needs a NM rear sight to be complete, I'll most likely use that existing sight in the new weapon.  Can't wait to get the airbrush out and fired up, as there's some awesome camo ideas out there to be had.   The FDE butt and hand guards will receive a light web of flat black, to which will be added bits of dunkelgrun, and dunkelrot accross the whole weapon, with a counter tinge of elephenbein to complement the flat black.  ' Twill be a fine machine that emerges from the "paintbooth" .  Ready for street, strip, or mebby the 6th Panzer Armee, under Sepp Dietrich !   .
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top