BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#1]
This is a steal. If I wouldn't end up in the dog house, I'd be buying another one from CDNN.

FYI the DPMS upper parts kit with the rear sights, port door, and forward assist is only $50 from DPMS including shipping. The parts are as good as any I've used, sights track correctly, etc. A lot of people will poo poo DPMS anything, and while I agree they produce some crap this kit and the A2 receiver are solid. I would advise against the $60 DPMS kit that includes the charging handle as it's pretty flimsy compared to a forged 7075 unit.

My A2 build started because of this deal
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:01:09 PM EDT
[#2]
They are very nice uppers, I also bought another one this morning.  I will be building an A2 Commando 10.5" build.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Now 49.99.  I wonder if they are running low?
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#4]
They usually put them on sale for $39.99  from noon on Fridays thru noon Mondays.
Seems like the do this about once a month.
There has been a limit of 3.

I usually buy 3 each time to put back for later, plus a few other items they have on sale or clearance.

They are good, fast shipper. I usually get the items by that Friday.

I have an order coming this way now with 3 receivers.

I have only used one of the so far and it worked great.

Remember you will need to buy the rear sight assembly for it.

Ron
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Can't you just buy a complete A2 upper for like 80 dollars still?
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Where?

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's the best I've found: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/266331/dpms-upper-receiver-assembled-ar-15-a2-matte For $162!
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They usually put them on sale for $39.99  from noon on Fridays thru noon Mondays.

I usually buy 3 each time to put back for later, plus a few other items they have on sale or clearance.

Ron
View Quote

I see an A2 rifle, a commando ish rifle with a 5.5in flash hider, and an A2 something else to be determined in my future
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:48:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I just built one and have another on the way, they fit great with my Bushmaster stripped lowers.  The fit and finish is excellent!

Quoted:

Ron
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I see an A2 rifle, a commando ish rifle with a 5.5in flash hider, and an A2 something else to be determined in my future
View Quote

You might want this for that "commando ish rifle:"

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-11-5-w-5-5-fh-5-56-barrel-1-9-prod69830.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=dpms

Just sayin'  I bought one to go with my DPMS A2 upper (got mine for $49.99 from CDNN and got mad the first time they went down to $39.99 )
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-11-5-w-5-5-fh-5-56-barrel-1-9-prod69830.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=dpms

Just sayin'  I bought one to go with my DPMS A2 upper (got mine for $49.99 from CDNN and got mad the first time they went down to $39.99 )
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wanted to buy that barrel so badly, but the fact that it's not chrome lined is a total deal breaker.  Yeah, I know that I'll never shoot it enough to actually need a chrome lined barrel, but my OCD won't let me buy ANY rifle barrel that isn't chrome lined, unless it's from Yugoslavia and is CHF.

Either way, I got my three from CDNN ( ordered on a Sunday, and had them by the following Thursday ).  My plans are:
1. 12" FN CHF with a faux XM177 4" brake, triangle handguard, Colt N1 stock, chopped A1 grip
2. 20" FN CHF with triangle handguard, Repro A2 stock, and beaten A1 grip
3. 14.5" DD CHF with slim handguard, Colt N1 stock, and beaten A1 grip
All will be on either AR-Brick no-rollmark lowers, or Spikes Punisher lowers - haven't decided which lowers to build on yet.

I bought M16 A2 sight assemblies from ESarco for $40/per.  Not as good of a deal as the complete upper kit from DPMS, but I'm okay spending the extra $20 to finish the rest of the upper with parts from PSA/BCM/PA.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Where?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where?

Where?  I don't think so.  Cheapest I have found was this offer plus the DPMS upper part kit.  Then factor in shipping. Ends up at about $110-115. The EE here sometimes has them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:08:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Where?  I don't think so.  Cheapest I have found was this offer plus the DPMS upper part kit.  Then factor in shipping. Ends up at about $110-115. The EE here sometimes has them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where?

I spent hours looking online for a cheaper option.  I'm sure that the random gunshow or in-person deal might still give you the opportunity to buy a complete A2 upper for $80, but it's definitely not the norm anymore.  I'm satisfied with my $110 complete A2 uppers.  Factoring in the cost of my time (ie, going to annoying gunshows, or trolling Armslist local every day), I don't think I could do better than $110 for a complete A2 upper.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought the stripped upper and port door/FA kit from CDNN. I have the DPMS A2 sight on the way from Brownells for $41 shipped. I'll end up with about $115 in the complete upper.

Complete disclosure is that the FA would not install in the upper as it arrived. Of course I don't know if the roll pin cross hole was out of place or if the plunger was not correct. I fixed the problem by dressing the surface on plunger that rides next to the roll pin. Also, the fit on my one lower was fine except for the take-down pin which had to be driven in.

Other than that the receiver looked great.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:34:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I bought the stripped upper and port door/FA kit from CDNN. I have the DPMS A2 sight on the way from Brownells for $41 shipped. I'll end up with about $115 in the complete upper.

Complete disclosure is that the FA would not install in the upper as it arrived. Of course I don't know if the roll pin cross hole was out of place or if the plunger was not correct. I fixed the problem by dressing the surface on plunger that rides next to the roll pin. Also, the fit on my one lower was fine except for the take-down pin which had to be driven in.

View Quote

That's DPMS quality control for you
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My A2 upper assembled just fine, no problems at all and the fit and finish was excellent.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The upper receiver is now completely assembled. I ordered the DPMS A2 rear sight kit from Brownells and got it this morning. The rear sight went together without a hitch and installed onto the upper with no problems. I then assembled the barrel onto the upper and checked gas tube alignment with the gas key. A little lapping of the takedown lug and the upper will now assemble onto my lower without having to use a punch.

Overall I'm happy with the DPMS A2 upper and considering the cost of the alternatives I would say it is a great deal.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Something to note whenever installing a forward assist assembly into an upper receiver, always be sure that the split in the roll-pin is facing toward the receiver, so as to ensure that the ridge on the forward assist paw never catches on the roll pin when used.

Also - remember that these receivers (& DPMS is far from being the only manufacturer to do this) have a slight Teflon finish applied over the type III anodizing, so always be sure to check for fitment issues before installing any roll-pins with the awareness that the Teflon coating will wear down with use against moving parts.

I purchased a couple of these DPMS receivers now (two A2s, and a C7) for various clone builds, and have had no problems whatsoever with any of them. Now if only I could say the same about certain other companies' on-sale lowers...

ETA: One of the two A2 uppers I purchased in use on my Delta H-Bar build (& a HUGE Thank You out to Matt for the large-head forward assist button):

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Took the SBR to the range this morning to give the new upper a shakedown. It ran flawlessly. Didn't even need to adjust the sights. The DPMS is GTG.

Untitled
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:00:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Do these uppers have m4 feedramps?   Seems like every barrel out there does, so it would be easy to find a matching barrel.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:49:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Do these uppers have m4 feedramps?   Seems like every barrel out there does, so it would be easy to find a matching barrel.
View Quote

Many of us have used uppers without the M4 feed-ramps with M4 type barrel extensions without any problems.  The only time you'll really need the ramps is if you're using the ammo-waster switch
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

A "true" A2 style upper won't have M4 cuts, however some places add them.  Regarding A2/M4 receiver cuts, I re-barreled an A2 upper with a newer M4 cut barrel, and experienced no feeding issues.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

The DPMS A2 upper does not have the cuts. Mine feeds fine into an M4 barrel without them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#24]
CDNN has the A2 stripped upper on sale again for $39.89.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I wanted to buy that barrel so badly, but the fact that it's not chrome lined is a total deal breaker.  Yeah, I know that I'll never shoot it enough to actually need a chrome lined barrel, but my OCD won't let me buy ANY rifle barrel that isn't chrome lined, unless it's from Yugoslavia and is CHF.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not correct. The barrel is chrome lined - at least it says so in the description on Brownells' web site, and the one I bought a few months back when they were on sale is stamped "CHROME LINED".
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:27:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes they do, and I've got two inbound!
Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:29:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks.  I grabbed another one to install on my dissipator since I never intend to use an optic on it.  Sucks that shipping eats up the discount.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:03:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Just grabbed another one for less than $50 shipped... Happy Independence day to all.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, poot! I finally got tired of waiting and ordered one last month when they were still $49; and here in Texas I had to pay sales tax
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's not correct. The barrel is chrome lined - at least it says so in the description on Brownells' web site, and the one I bought a few months back when they were on sale is stamped "CHROME LINED".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are for sure CHROME LINED; a little heavy though because they are HBAR .  I used one with an A1 receiver and Aluminum stock and the whole rig weighs exactly 7 lbs.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Snagged one!

What should I do with it?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:56:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Snagged one!

What should I do with it?
View Quote

Post pics of it ...of course...

...in use as a truck gun...or as a home defense weapon, or maybe simply as a nostalgia piece, or better yet - in use as a long distance can-opener. Really - You should know what to do with it already.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Ordered mine on July 4th, got here today!

The finish is a very matte black. My FK upper is much more slick feeling, but it's also more purple looking

I think I'm going to build myself a truck gun: 16" carbine pencil barrel from Del-Ton, moe carbine stock?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Mine came today as well. The color is a very flat black. There is a slight color mismatch between my Anderson lower and the upper. I don't care though. It is a great price. This upper is going to grow up to be a standard 20'' A2 using an upper kit from Windham Weaponry.
https://www.windhamweaponry.com/shopexd.asp?id=318

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Damn this site, I couldn't resist.

Now the question is do I want to build a 20" with a2 stock or one of those 11.5s. choices choices
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#37]
I went ahead and bought another upper, you just can't beat the price.  This will make the third A2 upper I've bought and will turn the first one into an SBR when my Form 1 is approved.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#38]
I got mine in the mail yesterday too. I got one 2 weeks ago for $49, so only ordered one at $39, but I felt bad when the box came, there was room for another. I should of gotten 2.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#39]
There is a limit of 3 so, I order 3 each time.
I put them in storage for my use or trading later.
None are for sale or trade at this time.
They had the gas tubes for $8.99 so, I got a batch of them also.

I did this with the C7 upper receivers when they were on sale.
I am glad I did that also. None are for sale or trade at this time.

When they had the Anderson lowers for $34.95 I got a bunch of them for later.
Did the same with the PSA lowers.

I try to buy when parts are cheap and not buy when they are regular prices or the panic is on.

Ron

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
There is a limit of 3 so, I order 3 each time.
I put them in storage for my use or trading later.
They had the gas tubes for $8.99 so, I got a batch of them also.

I did this with the C7 upper receivers when they were on sale.
I am glad I did that also.

When they had the Anderson lowers for $34.95 I got a bunch of them for later.
Did the same with the PSA lowers.

I try to buy when parts are cheap and not buy when they are regular prices or the panic is on.

Ron

View Quote

Great advice Ron. However I have an addiction. If I bought three uppers they would HAVE TO turn into three rifles. I found this out back when Fatboy tactical was selling Anderson lowers for $39 for the first time. I went crazy and bought 9. Right now I am working on rifle six from that set of lowers. Rifle 7 is going to be the 20'' A2. If I bought three uppers, one would be a 20', the other would be a 727 and the last would be a Dizzy. But since I already have builds planed for #8 and #9, I would need to buy two more lowers to complete those guns. Then, vicious cycle continues lol. I can't help myself.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 1:23:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for the heads up. Bought 3 uppers for $39.99 to match my three Tapco lowers.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Just put this one together.
Anderson lower
CDNN upper
Windham for everything else.

[/U
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Nice rifle, Toolman!
It's good to see one of these uppers put to good use.
Unfortunately, the two that I ordered will probably remain in their bubble wrap, for quite a while.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Toolman76, that is nice. I too like the Anderson receiver and the CDNN upper, I have built a few like that one using the Delton govt. style 20" barrels, PSA bolt and small parts.
They shoot good, easy to put together.
Not a whole lot of money if you buy the parts on sale and shop the EE for take off parts.
Thanks for the picture.

Ron
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks, unfortunately that one isn't mine,it was built for a friend. But I do have my own built with DPMS receivers, Windham barrel, the rest is PSA.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#46]
These are mine built with the CDNN uppers.  The rifle has since been changed back to an A2 stock

[/URL]
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
These are mine built with the CDNN uppers.  The rifle has since been changed back to an A2 stock

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa337/toolman76/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150508_174410423_edit_1431126874566.jpg[/URL]
View Quote

I like it. I need to build a couple of the carbines, I just have not gotten around to it yet.
Thanks for the pictures.
Ron
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#49]
I built a 14.5"  carbine with one last year. I got the barrel assembly from WW. I put a surplus aimpoint cantilever mount with the 50k hour primary arms mrds then hit it with alight coat of tan spray paint.

Its now my backpacking rifle when I take the rds/mount off(for weight savings).

Im tempted to do what Ron suggested and buy 3 at a time.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:57:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Working on a commando build right now, quick question, what if instead of buying the rear sight assembly kit, just buy an old carry handle or one of those cheap a2 rear sights and gut it for the parts?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top